Weekly Beer Tasting / Educational threads

I’ll grab some from K&L and get some for you too. It will ship to my locker at Stor Quest by your house.

J

Another option that I just realized is that I have to go out there to pick up a few orders of wine I have there waiting for me. I will likely head out there next weekend. If I see it I will grab some extras for you.

Even better. The Hollywood store has it listed in stock.

BTW we are putting together a new hockey team. Are you playing right now? Very cool guys. Fun team to play with.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Ok, stopped at the store and picked up a few:

Unibroue Blanche de Chambly
Paulaner Hefe
Weihenstephaner Hefe
New Belgium Monthership Wit
Harpoon UFO
Allagash White
Bell’s Oberon
Hoegaarden
The Breury Orchard White
Ommegang Witte

At home:
Ayinger Hefe

Now I am jealous. This is, imo, the best domestic wheat beer. … of course, it helps that I have many fond memories of drinking this on campus from a fresh keg the first day it came out in the spring each year … ahhhhhh. flirtysmile

nice to see you also have a Paulaner in there — imo, the best wheat beer in the world. I’d be curious to hear your comparative thoughts on the Bell’s vs. Paulaner.

Growing up in Michigan I was your everyday Miller Light kinda guy. Once in a while I’d see this local beer called Bell’s Oberon and I’d get one. It was always SOOO good, but then it would disappear. That was before I understood craft beers existed, and that some of them were seasonal.

Glad I can still get it!

where in MI did you grow up? we’ve probably been over this before, but I have a horrible memory. [oops.gif]

i was born in Detroit, spent first three and a half years of my life in Grand Rapids. Wife is from E. Lansing; we met in Ann Arbor. There’s a part of my heart that belongs to MI – it greatly helps MI’s cause that it is home to Bell’s!

Was this at Ashley’s Pub? Only been there once, but such a great place…

So maybe I missed it, are we going forward with the hefe’s and wheat beers? What’s the protocol? Each of us picking one, or grabbing a flight to work through?

Born in Livonia, spent my days in a few cities between Detroit and Ann Arbor. I have family in Lansing (west side) - I went to Central Michigan and my wife went to Michigan. Just left 4 years ago for warmer weather!

Funny thing is that in all my time in MI, I thought Bell’s made 2 beers, Oberon and Amber. Who’d have thunk!?!?

(PS - my memory is just as bad, so I don’t know if you asked before [wink.gif] )

Good question, as I never read the Burg educational thread.

scott. when bells made Sol Sun, there was no better beer. I grew up in Jackson, 40 miles S of Lansing and went to MSU albiet a few years before you did.

me and the boys will be enjoying a few beers tonight at the local watering hole. if there are any hefe, weizens or wits, I will report back.

-dave

Sol Sun, huh? What that a wheat beer? Sure sounds like one. Too bad i missed it.

I stand corrected, my memory is not as good as I thought it was.

SOLSUN was one word.

“Writing the recipe for Oberon was not the hard part - reproducing it is where the art and science comes in. Larry [Bell] has marketed that beer to the utmost, and a lot of it is the label. When it was called Solson we would guerilla market it, driving in a van with 100 bucks through old town Chicago. We’d drink and cause a ruckus until we convinced the bars to put us on tap. If you tried to pull that now you’d get in huge trouble, but at the time we did whatever needed to be done.” Telling this wild west story, there was a fire in Steve’s voice, the way a parent might talk about a child - proud, nostalgic, defensive, excited, and most of all, committed."

SOLSUN was an underground version of OBERON

Awesome story!! I’d like to have been in THAT bar.

This will make you even more jealous…

OH MY, that is a pretty picture! flirtysmile

Tried to pick up a few matches to what has been posted, as well as a couple of flyers:
Harpoon UFO
Otter Creek White
Sterkens White
New Belgium Mothership Wit
Paulaner Hefe-weizen
Hoegaarden
Gordon Biersch Hefeweizen
Avery White Rascal
Ommegang Witte
Baltika 8 Wheat
Konig Ludwig Weissbier

At home:
Allagash

After reading the raves, I wish I could get my hands on a Bell’s Oberon.

no, it was at Dominik’s … famous for their Sangria, and Oberon in March!

Ashley’s was a favorite of mine, though … it’s where I had my first “bacon beer.” flirtysmile

that is so cool it borders on mean. i’m sure my avatar gives away the fact that I would keep that mini even after emptied. that is pretty sweet!