Week 1 - Virtual Tasting for Charity - Empty My Wallet, Help Me Support Laura's House

Jeff, I am a doof. It doesn’t look like you but the shirt on the guy who is supposed to be you is the same shirt on the guy in the other photo who is you. Say hello to your wife for me, and happy holidays. I assume you will be spending more of my money here in the thread over the next week?

Ed, thank you. You got a note into the challenge, we’re $5 better for Laura’s House for it.

Jason, go big…and photos too, bro.

More to follow this evening… LOL

• 2005 Sea Smoke Pinot Noir Botella - USA, California, Central Coast, Sta. Rita Hills (11/19/2017)
    Very curious as to what this bottle had evolved into after 12 years. Very good news as it’s still quite youthful and botella continues to be my favorite of the lineup. Nice Pinot fruit and light toasted oak. Wine of the night for most people.
  • 2013 Littorai Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/19/2017)
    Light garnet color. A bit fruit forward but nice. There’s a huge blast of red hot candy followed by powdered cinnamon and spicy pepper.
  • NV Paul Dethune Champagne Brut Rosé - France, Champagne (11/19/2017)
    Hey, why can’t you drink rosé in November? Especially this wine to get things started. Love the balance of light brioche, red fruit, medium acidity and thoroughly refreshing. Excellent.

Posted from CellarTracker

Brigger, good start and effort. Thank you. When you get here later, I have some Rhys and Rivers-Marie open so let’s take advantage of the bottles and photo opp with some other dorks and post some stuff while we have that good opp.

Here we go Frank. Kinda disappointed in this one. Will pop a Hirsch later and step up my game.

• 2012 Cristom Pinot Noir Mt. Jefferson Cuvée - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (11/19/2017)
    Strawberry, dried flowers, and spice on the nose… Mourvedre? Fruit not as dark though. Creamy mouthfeel, lots of fruit, pleasing but that’s about as far as it goes. Bitterness on the finish. Crowd pleaser style, nondescript.
    AF452B25-7FCF-4ABB-8E77-C809EFFCAA0E.jpeg

2012 Kutch McDougall Ranch Pinot Noir (Sonoma Coast)
Starting off Thanksgivng week with a bang. It’s still very early days for this wine, but it’s drinkably delicious now. Black cherry fruit, with rosemary and floral tones come through on the nose. On the palate it’s fresh, but also developed into a smoother, more integrated wine. I generally love new Kutch bottlings right out of the gate, but they often go through a 2-3 year period where they seem out of kilter. This one has come through that into a well mannered early adulthood. Its structure is based mostly on acidity, with nothing drying or harsh. Seems like a good 3-5 years of profitable drinking are ahead. It will be hard not to drink them all ASAP. Unfortunately the label got scraped, but at least the Ravens won!
IMG_6524.JPG

One down and many to go Frank. Here`s the next Pinot Noir selected to help the cause:

2010 WILLIAMS SELYEM HIRSCH VINEYARD SONOMA COAST PINOT NOIR- one night after having the 10` Ferrington, this seemed to be a logical choice for a follow up and after drinking it, it was the perfect choice;; it had a deep red purple colour; the aromatics were filled with spicy, cinnamon accented strawberry and a noticeable touch of red raspberry; all was transported forward with some red cherry joining the fun; this was typical Hirsch with the spice and cinnamon component and the lighter side of the red fruit profile; the magnificent texture allowed for an even higher degree of elegance to be experienced; it was balanced, had lovely finesse and made a statement of royalty; this was a great bottle and mindful of Burt made Hirsch Pinots as was the Ferrington; 2010 was a good year for WS.

Cheers,
Blake
fullsizeoutput_178b.jpeg

Blind tasting at the American Wine Society Meeting tonight. 6 domestic wines presented, two Pinot Grigio, two pinot noir, two old vine zins. notes were taken pre reveal.

2015 Underwood Pinot Noir
Fairly fruit forward red here. Medium plus ruby color but able to read through, probably thin skinned grape with extraction. red fruit nose and palate, some oak noted but not over the top. Easy to drink but not something I would purchase for myself.

2014 Sass Pinot Noir
Other tables at the tasting seem to be enjoying this wine but the VA here is outta this world. All I get is nail polish remover. orange/ruddy core fading to brown at the edge. palate was better but still acidity over the top. shouldn’t have tasted.

Note: went back and tasted again from another table after revealed (and after most picked it as their wine of the night)… our carafe was definitely off. no VA here, just good ripe red fruit and vanilla. much more balanced palate. Still wouldnt be my buy, but glad to confirm suspicions.

Talk amongst yourselves.
20171119_151153.jpg
I’ll do role call later.
IMG_20171119_152345.jpg

Momma always said if you don’t have anything nice to say…

2004 Dehlinger Estate

Me and my best friend. Then I walked down the street to share with some other friends.
2004.jpg
IMG_0726.JPG

IMG_1883.JPG
I will add another.
2012 Radio-Coteau Pinot Noir Savoy Vineyard - USA, California, North Coast, Anderson Valley (11/18/2017)
Pop and pour and tasted without food. Followed for about 4 hours. Recorked and tasted the following day.
Dark ruby color.
Nose shows some black cherry and floral notes. Hint of dark earth too.
Big and powerful, but with a touch of elegance, this shows dark fruits and earthy notes, but with good acidity and a savory element of sage and brown spice to add depth.
Long finish. Has a sweet element from ripe fruit and the alchohol. This is a delicious wine.

I am a fan of Radio-Coteau. I have followed them from the start of the time I started following them, which was after tasting a La Neblina at Gotham Bar and Grill years ago.

Savoy Vineyard tends to be one of my favorites. I have enjoyed many bottlings of pinot from this vineyard, such as Kutch, Littorai, Drew, Failla, and more.

We did three pinots yesterday. I’m a bit tired, so only one note with two to follow. Other people took the photos so I have to retrieve them, but as required we have thumbs up pictures that I will post later.

• 2012 Seven of Hearts Pinot Noir Curmudgeon Cuvée Armstrong Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Ribbon Ridge (11/19/2017)
    From magnum. Wonder if we get $10 instead of $5 on the charity challenge because it was a magnum. With the cooking crew at the Kol Ami Thanksgiving Banquet for the family homeless shelter. Opening a Curmudgeon Cuvee just seemed appropriate in light of my personal reputation among the leadership and administration when they get in my way.

It was 10:30 am, which means it was noon in the Maritime provinces, so it was time to pop and pour. The color seemed a bit more advanced than I would have expected from a 5 year old magnum. Light in color with perhaps a very light browning tint, but it might have been the lighting. Palate is nice and balanced, with a hint of red fruit. Acidity seems a bit light compared to the Patricia Green and the Hospices Volnay we opened later in the morning, but not flabby. It was crisp but not tart, which is a good thing. Considering that it was a pinot, it was pretty good. Nice way to kick off the morning.

+1

You look a lot different without the make-up.

Blake, love the first pic with the Jayhawks Tee. And Jeff, great to see post and pics with the Philly posse!

Timing couldn’t be better Frankie for one that will certainly interest some here:

2011 Maison Ilan Mazoyeres Chambertin

I decided to take this to a dinner with my friend Julie and since we ended up at my friend Heather’s restaurant, she and some of her crew would taste as well. This was pop and pour. Bouquet is quite lovely, full red raspberry and strawberry with cocoa and chestnut edges. In the mouth, OK, it doesn’t have Chambertin depth, but that is a small complaint. The velvet feel is there and the follow-through of just-ripe red berry fruit and earth tinges, plus it has a surprising freshness right now…this was flat-out delicious juice. Now, I don’t think I’m keeping my last bottle past 2 years, but I was very, very pleased with this showing.

If we have any Pinot at our Thursday dinner, I will post a note. Tran will be at the dinner also and may post as well.

Slainte,

Mike

Sometimes I have to give my face a break.

Here is my note TN: 2004 Dehlinger Pinot Noir Estate - WINE TALK - WineBerserkers

Jason

Thumbs up.gif
As promised. Thumbs up with a magnum of Curmudgeon Cuvee and a bottle of 2005 Hospices de Beaune Volnay Santenot (Hospices Auction Group) with a bottle of Patricia Green Cellars Berserker Cuvee on the work table yet to be opened. Notes on the Volnay and the PGC later. Note also the 2005 Quilceda Creek Galitzine in the foreground that does not count.

From right to left (hey, it’s at my synagogue, so we have to go right to left), Rebecca, who many of you have met, Marcia (she who made the whoppie pies for the last Berserkerfest at my house), Myrna, Steve, Me, Mike, Ronnie (who likes Rivers Marie Pinot, but I forgot to bring one), Jeff and Jim. While drinking all of the above plus a 2103 Aubert Chard and a Tercero white, we made, with a few other helpers, 300 all beef pigs in blankets, 400 deviled eggs, 320 baby meatballs in sweet and spicy sauce, 140 pounds of turkey, 70 pounds of grilled chicken, 40 pounds of sweet potatoes, 60 pounds of Mac and Cheese, 60 pounds of double stuffed baked potatoes, 50 pounds of glazed carrots, six cakes, 72 cupcakes, two large pans of bread pudding, 10 pounds of cranberry sauce and lots of iced tea, lemonade and chocolate milk. We also made 70 pounds of penne in San Marzano home made red sauce and meatballs that we just loaded directly into take out containers and gave the guests as parting gifts.

Remarkably, this year we managed to send NO ONE to the hospital.

Not sure if the forum can handle many more shots of my mug but it’s for a good cause so to hell with ‘em. neener

• 2014 Hirsch Vineyards Pinot Noir San Andreas Fault - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/20/2017)
    Notes from day 2. Pale transparent cranberry color faint hints of raspberry, cherry and pine. Tart red cherry and raspberry up front, creamy medium bodied mid-palate, strawberry laced finish backed up by some chalky tannins. Very gulpable at 12.7%abv.

5C447041-5796-48C3-AF84-81D0EC7F2742.jpeg

• 2015 Meiomi Pinot Noir - USA, California (11/20/2017)
    Sweet and creamy. I’ll just leave it at that.
  • 2014 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/19/2017)
    FMIII left this hiding in the refrigerator for me so it was quite chilled. Love the summa fruit in general but the note that stood out for me was the Sandlewood. It’s not something I’d normally associate with RM like the orange peel but it was fantastic.

Here are all the Pinot from Sunday. Notes to follow on a few more. Yes, FMIII is holding a Cherry Pie and Meiomi.

FMIII, Rob, Brig, and Paul
IMG_8394.jpg
Leslie, Ashley, Francine, Chris, and Jill
IMG_8391.jpg