Week 1 - Virtual Tasting for Charity - Empty My Wallet, Help Me Support Laura's House

That looks like $20 for Laura’s House.

Here’s one from 2007. I am somewhat embarrased about my tasting note. But, just for fun, here it is:

• 2005 Loring Wine Company Pinot Noir Durell Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (4/12/2007)
    Opened right after receiving from direct shipment from the winery. No “bottle shock” syndrome here. This was delicious. Good ruby color with a nose of spice, cherry and some wet wool. Nice acidity and fruit - well balanced between the two. Again, cherry, sour cherry and vanilla flavors. Hint of raspberry and blueberry too. With the wet wool, like a raspberry beret that got caught in the rain. A touch of cherry vanilla coke. Long finish with good tannins to make my mouth pucker and, together with the crisp acidity, suggests that with a year or two in the cellar, this wine will only get better.

Actually, while we have miscreants like Hack and Melloni junking up Frank’s thread with ancient TNs, I am excited about the fact that today counts, as I am having dinner with the dean of Oregon Pinot enthusiasts, Rich Trimpi, tonight, and I’m fairly certain that one or more Pinots will be consumed :wink:

Unfortunately, I’m not sure any of us know how to post a photo here, because a group shot could be in order :slight_smile:

Bob, Trimpi knows how to post them. Ask him about the ones he posted a day or two ago in the politics forum that stirred up a mess. [wink.gif]

OK, here goes Frank. Picking Pinot Noir was the easy part as I have more of this than anything else in the cellar although champagne is creeping up. I have my favs mostly from California, Oregon and Burgundy. But which one is THE ONE to start out on this thread as I intend to play throughout the span allotted here.

Thinking back to a recent thread regarding the 2015 WS Ferrington by Brig Campbell with add on raving posts from Frank and Anton Dotson, the decision became even easier. I have my 7 year rule for domestic Pinots and so I pulled the:

2010 WILLIAMS SELYEM FERRINGTON VINEYARD ANDERSON VALLEY PINOT NOIR- although my MO is to decant an hour or so in advance, this was popped and poured into a Riedel Vinum stem; remembering Brigs remarks about the colour, I gave this one even more than a glance and concluded it was indeed magenta, but being a big Kansas Jayhawk hoops fan, it has to crimson [school colours = crimson and blue] as in mauvish-crimson with a shade more darkness; the nose was replete with first some minerals and rose petals and a big hit of red raspberry; soon the minerals dissipated and a spicy component entered; on the palate, a hit of cinnamon laced red cherry/ berry came in, but the red raspberry was most prevalent; this is red raspberry Nectar of the Gods; it was beautifully balanced with a medium plus body and an oh so good mouthfeel; some fresh strawberry and red cherry actually finished up the wine with welcomed length; Im thinking back to all of the Ferringtons Ive had that were made by Burt; this one can hang with the best of them; as Brig stated, “Super stuff’.

Cheers,
Blake
fullsizeoutput_1788.jpeg

Hey hey, our first $10. Good job, Blake–and nice to meet you. And the Ferrington you kicked off with, great choice. Go KU.

To everyone else, we are live with the event so start posting and do your best to add a photo.

I just opened a 2014 Rivers-Marie Summa, gonna take a photo soon when I can share it with my psychiatric neighbor, well, I mean my neighbor the Psychiatrist. Dragging a glass with me now to go see him.

So ready to add a current note and not “junk up” the thread with some old notes.
I opened a Patricia Green, in memory, and a salute to Patty Green. Never met her but I have engjoyed many a wine from her over the years. PG was one of the “high end” wines I bought when I was first discovering domestic Pinot Noir. That was many years ago. Now, hundreds of credit card statements later, I still have PG wines in the cellar.
I reached for the Medici from the current release, most recently arrived.

2016 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Medici - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley, Chehalem Mountains (11/18/2017)
Pop and pour and tasted, initially with food, and then on its own.
Dark ruby-purple color. Nose shows blackberries and some spice notes. Inviting.
The initial impression is one of sweetness. But that soon gives way to some acidity that gives some lift to the wine. Blackberries and ripe raspberry fruit, all nicely framed. While the fruit is ripe and upfront, it is not heavy nor candied. There is a nice mineral/saline element on the finish.
Quite delicious.

Here is a photo too.
IMG_1881.JPG

T., thank you for being a supporter not only of this thread every year, but Falltacular and the work of Laura’s House. I always appreciate that you stay connected to us from far away.

I’ll get started as well, with both my note and my gift of great neighbors who join me in the photo. While not WB members, I am fortunate to be able to share my wines with them and introduce them to things like Rivers-Marie.

As for the community that are now beginning to see our notes and folks from the Board here contributing…I challenge you to do the same. Open a Pinot Noir, post a note. It doesn’t have to be written in prose or with some scholar’s hand, but your hand. And if you are willing, post a photo too. It’s to your comfort level. My challenge though is to ask more of you to be visible with your thoughts and in doing so, support a charity that is working to make where I live, where many of us live in Orange County, a better place for women, children and families.

• 2014 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Summa Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/18/2017)
    Opened and gave this about an hour of air. Then, added a light chill and got right after it. This is classic Summa, which has the consistent signature terroir of pine needle, red fruit and orange peel, and candied red apple. This vintage comes with some decadence too, via light cola bean and a saturating quality. Finishes with strawberry, tangy and piney. There is one other thing here that I am having some difficulty expressing, and I want to call it funky or tarry. It’s just a quality of something more earthy and savory in tone that leaves a lovely imprint in the finish of the wine. Overall, this is delicious, juicy Summa and even better, lovely in the glass. I don’t think anyone will mistake this for being old world Cote de Nuits, yet this is beautiful and spot on for the best of what CA can do.

Posted from CellarTracker
Summa 2.jpg

123951.jpg
Philly boys doing some pinots.

Rich T

Frank, here are a few from a dinner last night with fellow WB’s Rich Trimpi, Bob Hughes and Dave Mosko. Pictures to follow.

• 1992 Domaine Leroy Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru Narbantons - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Savigny-lès-Beaune 1er Cru (11/19/2017)
    Tasted blind in a flight of two wines. The other wine was known to be 2005 Pernot Beaune Clos des Teurons. Compared to the Pernot, this was much fruitier and bigger. My first thought was new world, however the nose reminded me a little of Beaujolais and carbonic maceration. While the wine was fruity it didn’t seem like it could be California either. I found a slight orange rind note. The wine seemed fairly young. I guessed 2007-2008 Oregon Pinot. I never would have thought this was 25 years old. I liked the wine.
  • 1999 Domaine Daniel Rion et Fils Clos Vougeot - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Clos Vougeot Grand Cru (11/19/2017)
    My red WOTN. Smells great. Accents of spice, pine needle, slight fall leaves, mint. Darker fruit tones. Lots going on here and a pleasure to drink.
  • 2005 Paul Pernot et ses Fils Beaune 1er Cru Teurons - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru (11/19/2017)
    Tasted along side a 92 Leroy Narbartons which was served blind. The Pernot was overshadowed by the other because the Leroy was much fruitier and larger scaled. This Pernot was lighter, more delicate and elegant. A nice wine that may have been easier to appreciate on it’s own.
  • 2007 Patricia Green Cellars Pinot Noir Reserve - USA, Oregon, Willamette Valley (11/19/2017)
    Rich Trimpi opened this in honor of Patty Green’s recent passing. Served along with a 2011 Wind Gap Sonoma Coast Pinot. This had a little darker, earthier nose, with just the faintest hint of rubber that added interest. Darker toned and slightly tangy. Nice.
  • 2011 Wind Gap Wines Pinot Noir - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/19/2017)
    Consumed in a flight along with a Patricia Green 07 reserve. Slightly fruitier, with a citrus/orange rind and pine needle note. Soft mouth feel but adequate acidity. As far as California Pinot’s go, this is nicely restrained. It would be fun to try this in 5 - 7 years.

A few pictures.
image.jpg

A selfie
image.jpg

Thanks to Rich for posting that group photo - I would have never been able to figure that out [scratch.gif]

At any rate, dinner last night at our local BYOB gem, Talula’s Table - in the picture, left to right are Jeff Vaughan, Richard “the Dean of Oregon Pinot” Trimpi, myself and Dave Mosko - four Berserkers all in a row. We also had a 5th Berserker in attendance, but Jim Steiker is a good looking guy and he decided to avoid the camera so as not to put the rest of us at a disadvantage [wink.gif] .

I think our red wine of the night was unanimous - that '99 Rion was absolutely singing. Also a very nice touch by Monsieur Trimpi to bring along the '07 PG Reserve to honor the memory of Patricia Green. I actually served the '92 Leroy blind and in the same flight as the Pernot - I think almost everybody thought it was the younger of the two wines, with guesses in age ranging from 2007 through 2009/10.

Fun night at a great BYOB venue, with a number of very good non-Pinots consumed as well [cheers.gif]

Bob, look up /\ a few posts for my notes. I am still full from our meal. I totally over indulged.

I have to admit that I’m impressed you took such good notes - I didn’t even give it a thought, despite the fact that we were going to be posting this in Frank’s thread [welldone.gif]

Excellent evening at Talula’s. Thanks to Bob for organizing and Jeff for the notes. The '99 Daniel Rion CV was pretty clearly the Pinot of the night. Need to give a nod to Jim’s '93 Delagrange-Bachelet Chassagne that started with a stumble, a touch past peak…but it seriously came around.

Frank, kudos to you for your charitable efforts on behalf of Laura’s House.

RT

2015 Stoller Vineyards Pinot Noir:
Best option at a bar downtown meeting a couple friends. Deeply extracted ruby in the glass with medium legs that maybe just stain. black fruits and some vanilla on the nose, bordering on some mushroomy notes. On the palate those same dark fruits are there (not quite jammy but pretty ripe for a pinot) along with some new oak and moderate tannin. Enjoyable to sip on when out, very good if New World ripe fruity pinot is your jam. its not quite mine but i still enjoyed, enough to finish the glass and would order again given the same choices.

2015 Anthill Farms Anderson Valley Pinot
At tasting to benefit Sonoma Habitat for Humanity. favorite of the night over some other tasty Sonoma county wines (Broc Cellars Gamay, Textbook Cab, Cep Syrah were other good ones). Bright ruby color with medium alcohol, earthy/ foresty tones mingled with red cherry and red fruit both aroma and palate. long finish here. purchased to hold but will purchase again whenever given the chance. really enjoyed.

will attach photo with bottle of Anthill shortly. does it count if its from the lot I purchased instead of during actual tasting?

Love these posts. Jeff, who are the other two guys in the photo just below mine? To Richard and Bob…terrific to meet you. :slight_smile:

Matt, thank you for participating. Ok if from same lot but you do need to be in the photo as well to count, buddy.

Frank, from left to right, it is me, Rich Trimpi, Bob Hughes and Dave Mosko.

First, a couple of caveats. One is that we do not drink a lot of Pinot and the other is that we failed on the picture, as we had dinner at a friends house.

2014 McIlroy Lila Lane Vineyard Pinot Noir
This was a perfect match to Grilled Salmon on the Weber. The nose is full of spice, cherry and smoke, with red fruits on the palate and a nice bit of acidity to balance out the flavors. The oak is present but not overwhelming. For less than $20, this is a wine that I will buy again.

In lieu of our fail on the picture, yesterday we donated $50 to Laura’s House with “Wine Berserkers” in the notes section. Domestic violence is a cause that my wife and I are passionate about, and even though I have never met Frank, he represents what is good with the world of wine – compassion, a big heart, and generous. Plus, he is a fellow hockey enthusiast, and everyone who likes hockey is good person in my book! It is a pleasure to support Frank and this cause. Thank you.

Thanks,
Ed

Heading to the locker in an effort to empty Frank’s wallet.

Jason