WB influence - helps, hurts, or indifferent to wine makers?

Lots of posts recently on favorite wines, styles evolving, reminiscing to eBob days (more winemaker involvement there?), etc. I’m curious - do we think WB truly helps winemakers to get the word out on their wines or is it like rolling the dice…more trouble than it’s worth? I know this board has a lot of passion on WB darlings, but how much influence do we truly have?

I think you should ask that question to:
Rhys, EMH, Myriad (and other labels); not saying just WB, but my suspicion is these boards contain a huge percentage of their buyers - conversely, I’m sure Caymus, Kendall Jackson, Silver Oak, among other big wineries could care less as we’re probably a very small segment of their market - but in those cases, perhaps WB hurts them from getting some of our business (case in point the Caymus 40th Anniversary).

Rambling post on iPhone while at a soccer game. More simply put, how influential is Wine Beserkers and is the WB “press” a double-edged sword?

Even with the winemakers listed, curious as to how much this board influences or impacts their business.

Bruce nailed it. Small winemakers making a quality product that are either starting out or seeking to retain the dedicated support given by many on this board find must find us undeniably important even if some come off self-important from time to time.
This is especially unique to small American producers and I love that aspect of it all.
Great topic.

I would guess that EMH, Rhys, and Myriad, among others, get a lot of business through the board. Hard to tell because you don’t nexessarily check a box to say you’re a member, but I’d never have heard of those wines (except EMH, because of the Bassins Barrel Tasting) had I not been a WB member, and I buy all three. My wine-drinking friends have varying degrees of avidity on WB but almost all of them are part of this board. Most of the non-WB people I’ve met at tastings around DC have no idea of the existence of Rhys. Maybe it was similar 10-15 years ago with Harlan, Scarecrow, etc.

But it’s a chicken-or-the-egg question, isn’t it? Are the people on WB those who’d have found out about and bought Rhys anyway, or did they find out t about it because of WB?

This forum is full of tastemakers and critics with a degree of honesty not found in the pay-to- play world of professional wine reviewing. It’s also the biggest independent forum in the country and so fairly influential - for those who look. Self-selecting, sure, but so is a subscription to Burghound for $100.

Funny that Mike just posted. To prove my point, I have recently gotten mailings or offers where either Mike Pobega or Loren Sonkin were the quoted reviews.

What Mike said!!!

Wow, I had not seen that.

As for our wines, we don’t sell that much as a percentage to Berserkers although we are grateful for any that we do. What i do like is when I can get feedback on our wines. As you can imagine, rarely do people say anything but nice things to my face, so I like to hear theoretically unbiased comments on the Boards or CT.

Lol.
It’s an honor and i am still amazed that someone actually gives a care what I think.
I find it a refreshing man on the ground approach from these winemakers and principals.
Oh, yeah, I still call it as I see it.

We should remind ourselves periodically that we represent a fraction of one percent of wine consumers.

Indeed.

Yes, but at the same time, the 500 most coveted, collectible or hip or high end wines, from Bordeaux to Burgundy to Saumur to Jura to Santa Lucia and Anderson Valley are purchased by a fraction of one percent of the wine-drinking populace. Influence is a relative thing.

I’d guess WB carries a positive influence, overall, with a little bit of double-edged sword thrown in for good measure. There’s often some amount of backlash against a board darling, but said backlash doesn’t happen without a bout of great popularity preceding it. A bout of great popularity is always a good thing, regardless of whether it is followed by a backlash.

I just went online for the first time and saw this thread. As always, I will be open with my thoughts. But not today! My big sister woke me with a phone call this morning, and my daughter surprised me by arriving unannounced, holding a bouquet of flowers! It’s my birthday, and it looks to be a good one!

I’ll be back to this tomorrow.

Happy Birthday!

I agree. Maybe for a handful of winemakers we matter, but overall we are just another grape on the vine.

Happy birthday!

Help or hurt from a business perspective is just one aspect. There’s also the “popularity contest” that runs the gamut from admiration to personal attacks. Even if the majority sing your praises, you have to have a thick skin to absorb the helpful feedback while ignoring the negative back seat drivers. How many of us (as consumers) could that with grace, on the internet of all places?

I admire all winemakers who participate here, financial benefit or not. They put themselves out there.

Happy birthday Merrill!

Rama, not picking on you here, but if you think this group is “tough”, you ought to check out a site like Seeking Alpha and watch mud getting slung around by investors and financial professionals.

This Board has got to be one of the most forgiving and nurturing Boards out there - hell, there are still people here willing to give Ray Walker the benefit of the doubt after a multi- year customer service screw up.

If folks can’t handle the minimal heat this place generates, they really need to be in a different profession than retail.