Washington, DC

I haven’t been to Washington, DC since the pandemic. What are current favorite places to eat and stay?

I was there about 1 year ago. We had a fantastic dinner at Oyamel Cocina on Seventh St, highly recommended.

Yardbird Chicken in the same area was disappointing, chicken wasn’t all that good, very small portions. Subpar service at nearly empty restaurant (the bar had patrons tho). We were there sort of early, around 5-5:30.

1 Like

Daughter at GW so we have been there a bit. Favorite place to stay is Park Hyatt. Good location re walkability for us. Not foodies, but a couple places we like are CIRCA and Ted’s Bulletin.

Didn’t check to see if it survived pandemic, but Rasika is a must if you like Indian food and has a nice wine list.

2 Likes

We also ate at Rashika last year, it was really good, I recommend them also. That was early March, I suspect they’re still operating.

Jaleo is one of my favorites in DC, from Chef Jose Andres, I hear minibar is also great, but I’ve never been able to make a reservation there. I’m going to be there in a few weeks, and have reservations at Rooster and Owl, I can let you know how that is if you’re interested.

shamelessly posting my restaurant map again. There are notes on restaurants I have been to/for my records, and if there aren’t any notes it’s a place I want to try.

A few recs/highlights of mine:
Izakaya seki - my favorite japanese restaurant, very short wine list unless the owner is there and she’ll help you navigate her cellar
Da Hong Pao - chinese restaurant, they do great dim sum and classic dinner fare, skip the wine (or go to queen’s english if you want fancy chinese with wine)
Etto/2 Amys - same owner, great pizza, good wine list
Revelers Hour - Fancy pasta, good wine list
Lutece - french bistro, (french) chef previously held a michelin star at a mexican restaurant in NYC, clearly gunning for one again
Bar Spero - basque inspired, (local) chef holds a michelin star for a temp closed tasting menu restaurant, this is focused on a la carte
Rasika - already mentioned, cant go wrong

Big fan of Barcelona Wine Bar, excellent food and casual funky vibe.

(202) 588-5500

Start with a cocktail at Jane Jane across the street

https://maps.app.goo.gl/9oGXeqFnepHGabXi8

2 Likes

Two new-ish places I’ve enjoyed recently are Bar Spero and Maiz64

Ben’s Chili Bowl. For the real DC.

Agreed, I didn’t mention this one because it goes without saying, one must have a half smoke, I prefer the spicy one.

2 Likes

We’re supposed to get a Barcelona Wine bar in Pittsburgh.
I’ve lined up L’Avant Garde, RIS, Imperfecto, and Lutece. We’ll have lunch at Jaleo.

evidently 2 locations in DC. Which is better or recommended?

Some slightly different dishes at each, but quality has been the same in my experiences. I like the ambiance at the original Penn Quarter location better, though.

1 Like