Washington DC event - German Wine Society of the US 45th Anniversary Dinner/Wine tasting Oct 7 at the German Embassy

On October 7, 2022, from 6:30pm to 9:30pm, the German Wine Society will host its 45th Anniversary dinner at the German Embassy in Washington.

Tickets for very limited seating are available here.

If you live in the DC area (DMV) the price of joining the society for a year and paying the members’ price for the event comes to just $5 more. You can do it in the same transaction.

I’ll be there. If any of you are going please let me know.

All are welcome, including non members. Members of the DC chapter, or the Philly and San Francisco chapters, or the Canadian GWS get member pricing.

Some of the blurb:

You can celebrate the 45th Anniversary of our society where it began! As we have done for other anniversary events and national conventions, we will offer a tour of the wine regions of Germany, with a representative wine from all 13 regions plus a sekt, for a total of 14 wines from ten different grapes! This is a tasting opportunity impossible to replicate elsewhere in the United States, as wines from three of these regions are not normally imported and had to be brought directly from Germany for this event. We will begin with a sekt reception on the patio (weather permitting) and followed by a multi-course seated dinner inside the Embassy House.

Wines at the Embassy House Reception and Seated Dinner

Patio Reception:

nv Hild Elbling Brut Sekt

Seated Dinner:

First Flight: Trocken Duo from the East

2021 Pawis Riesling Quarzit trocken, Saale-Unstrut

2020 Tim Strasser Rotling trocken, Sachsen

Second Flight: Trocken Duo from the West

2021 Kloster Eberbach Chardonnay trocken, Hessische Bergstrasse

2020 Donnhoff Weissburgunder trocken, Nahe

Third Flight: Whites Beyond Riesling

2020 Hans Wirsching Iphöfer Kalb Silvaner trocken, Franken

2020 Wörner “Steillage Weiss” (blend of Riesling and Müller-Thurgau, trocken), Baden

Fourth Flight: The Trend Toward Reds

2019 Meyer-Näkel Spätburgunder (trocken), Ahr

2021 Beurer Trollinger (trocken), Württemberg

Fifth Flight: A Pair of Spectacular Spätlese

2020 J.J. Prüm Bernkasteler Badstube Riesling Spätlese, Mosel

2018 Spreitzer Winkeler Jesuitengarten Riesling Spätlese, Rheingau

Sixth Flight: Auslese Grand Finale

2019 Müller-Catoir Haardter Herzog Rieslaner Auslese, Pfalz

2018 K.P. Keller Rieslaner Auslese, Rheinhessen

2004 Ratzenberger Bacharacher Wolfshöhle Riesling Auslese, Mittelrhein

Embassy chef Daniel Labonne will provide a menu of delicious German-style foods in several courses chosen to accompany the wines, plus dessert, as listed below.

Patio Reception: Smoked Salmon on Soft Pretzel & Cream Cheese Canapes

First Seated Course: Leek and Potato Soup with Truffle Peeling

Second Seated Course: Sautéed Branzini Fillet with Creamy Spinach gratin & Lobster Sauce

Third Seated Course: Pork Medallion Wrapped in Smoked Bacon with Spatzle, Red Cabbage, and Lingonberry & Mustard Sauce

Dessert: Assortment of Mini Desserts – Opera Cake, Bavarian Cream with raspberry coulis, and Apple Strudel

Coffee and Tea service at end, with bottled water provided at tables

We anticipate being joined by members of the German Embassy staff. Please take the opportunity to mingle with them and share your interests in German wines and Germany!

The price for this event will be $85 for members, and $115 for non-members.

2 Likes

I’m a member but I won’t be able to make this unfortunately! They always have them on days I’m unavailable, oh well. Sounds wonderful.

I used to attend these when David Schildknecht was the guest speaker. Unless they have changed materially, be sure to bring a bottle of water for yourself. Water was much rarer than wine in the old days.

I was going to reply that the embassy might take care of us but then I remembered that a party at the gardens of the German Ambassador’s residence (for the 30th Anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall) was the most amazing (and free flowing) party I’ve ever been to in DC.

Thanks @Guillermo_M for posting. Can’t make this, but interested in other wine-related events in Washington,DC. Thanks again.

1 Like

I’m very tempted! Will let you know!

Looks like I am going now! Friends from my old wine group in Philly (Harry Cantrell and Beth Sheligo) are attending. Carl wait listed me and we got in. So I will get to meet you Guillermo.

Awesome!

I saw you had been waitlisted and was hopeful.

I’m new to WB and GWS but I’ll be there. Looking forward to meeting some like-minded folks!

2 Likes

So what did you think? It was a fun time. Interesting wines from each region but none I’d run out and buy, except maybe the Sekt made from Ebling grapes. Beth was telling me Gunlach Bundschu made wine from Ebling.

1 Like

It was fun. Met some nice people. David was at my table coincidentally.

The Spätlese were fine. I liked the Silvaner too. Nothing to write home about as you say. But it was a fun evening.

The Erbling Sekt was fine but a bit too simple for me.

It was great meeting you and your husband. We’ve gotta do it again.