Visiting Pichon Baron

I imagine many of you have done this visit yourselves, since unlike Pichon Comtesse which we visited last year, Pichon Baron is very much open for visits. I had been there myself twenty years ago - at the time, it struck me as fairly soulless and I wanted to see how things had changed since. I got an appointment by mail, using the WB calling card, the advantage being that the private visit was free - much to my daughters’ amusement, we were told that we were “press”!

On arrival, one is struck by the sheer palladian opulence of the place:

This is the new building (to the left of the château on the first photo) housing the offices, general hospitality and tasting rooms plus the shop:

We were greeted very warmly by our hostess, Aude, who began by showing us the vineyard:

She was very honest and candid about the struggles they have had this year with mildew - you can see one result on the right. They were busy spraying for the last time before harvest, in view of some more rain forecasts (they were quite right!). Pichon Baron, unlike Comtesse, has no plans to go organic - and she was just as candid about the likelihood of some of Comtesse’s vines being sprayed by accident - in a windy environment it is obviously impossible to avoid when rows of vines are next to each other. Generally speaking, the vines looked healthy and as long as the weather settles from now until the end of September, the crop should be OK.

Then we went inside to visit the cuvier.

Last year, from what I understood, they have added a mezzanine floor, enabling the team to receive the grapes there, so that everything is done by gravity rather than pumps when filling the vats:

There is a mixture of inox vats and large oak barriques, plus some experimental amphora:

The we crossed into the cavernous cellar:

More amphora - Aude was very keen to point out that the amphora are only an experiment and that so far at least, they have not been convinced enough to include the wine in any final blends.

I think this photo is from the second cellar, under the lake you can see on the first photo. They use a variety of coopers, like most châteaux, and a variety of toasting levels. Each barrel has the cooper’s name and the level of toasting - GC+ means Grande Chauffe +, so the top level of toasting (I imagine):

The cellar has natural light from under the lake - hence the pretty effect here:

It goes without saying that everywhere is air-conditioned.

Before ascending to the tasting room, we went past the vinothèque, which features wines going back to 1896:

The tasting room is similar to most other new ones, offering great views across the vineyard:

We tasted four wines:

Les Tourelles 2017: more Merlot than the other two cuvées, this was fruity and charming, perhaps a little facile.

Les Griffons 2017: the (relatively) recent addition to the line-up, another second wine which is supposed to be closer in profile to the Grand Vin - which it is. Classic Pauillac cigar, cassis and graphite nose, classic Pichon cassis taste, still quite stern but showing good promise - this is better than many Pichons of the past.

Pichon Baron 2017 - more silky and elegant than the Griffons, with creamier fruit and simply at a much higher level. Impressive.

Pichon Baron 2016 - now you’re talking! This knocked the 2017 for six, a perfect blend of elegance and power. It is certainly concentrated, but the fruit is woven into the silky texture and restrained by the subtle tannins. I don’t think I’ve had a better Pichon ever. Glad I have some!

Before leaving, we checked out the shop where we found the ideal present for my next birthday:

All in all, a very impressive visit. The attention to detail and continuing ambition to achieve even greater quality is clear. No stone will be left unturned in their pursuit of excellence.

Only a couple of stone throws from Léoville Barton, the contrast was impossible to miss. If Barton is a family-run business with a château people live in, well-managed but with (slightly) limited means, Pichon Baron is a streamlined corporate set-up, with no expense spared as to the means of production. I certainly felt more at home at the former, but it was impossible not to be impressed by the latter.

In terms of wine tourism, the Pichon Baron visit is much more appealing than Barton - it’s a very professionally run operation which I would say would please anyone apart from young children. The whole itinerary has been cleverly thought-out and by the end, even an old cynic like myself could not fail to have enjoyed it. It’s a whole lot better done than twenty years ago. I did not ask how much normal visits cost, but whatever the cost, this is a good visit to include if you are in the area.

26 Likes

Very impressive Julian! Wonderful photos and a great write-up. I was astounded by the mezzanine. Like a well engineered space ship!

One of my first ever Bordeaux purchases was a sixer of '89 Pichon Baron and a sixer of '89 Cos d’Estournel. $39/bottle. Still have half of that purchase which I’ve been working slowly through. The Pichon Baron is a masterful wine.

Awesome trip summary!

I didn’t invoke the secret (to me) WB handshake and visited on a holiday, so we were unable to do anything other than have a tasting in the new building and tasting area (and were grateful to slide in wherever someone would have us). Thanks for the pics and rundown as it provides a lot of insight.

The host was kind and knowledgeable, but we were only able to taste the 2017 Pichon Baron and not the 2016, alongside the Les Tourelles. I believe the cost was around 25 Euro per person, but they didn’t charge us for one of the tastings since I bought a bottle (of the 2016 PB).

I agree with your notes on the 2017… it was elegant and impressively crafted (our driver described it as a “serious” wine, and it clearly was). I’m not experienced enough to know if it is just a shy wine with larger upside potential or if the 2017 vintage just makes wines in this price range and above a tough sell. With every sip, I was wondering what PB tasted like in a better vintage. It was lovely, and I’d always enjoy a bottle, but I couldn’t justify buying at the price. Here are the prices from the store (sorry I cut off the magnum prices):

You’ve shown yourself deserving of the “press” credential. Very nice write-up and photos. Love seeing old bottles in a cellar.

1 Like

Beautiful and impressive. Thanks for the report.

I was “knighted” as Commandeur of the Commanderie de Bordeaux in Madrid toasting precisely with a Pichon Baron 2016! Hard to forget! A little young but wonderfully enjoyable anyway.

Contratulations on your visit and on your report!

2 Likes

Sounds amazing and would love to visit someday. Thanks for the report!

Zach

2 Likes

We visited there in the mid 80’s. We went to a barn to the left of the chateau for the tasting. It was free. Super nice people, no English but that didn’t bother us or them. Lots of chickens roaming about. Fun memories.

1 Like

It’s a really fine wine, if lacking the depth of a some of the best vintages. It is balanced, perfect for medium term drinking. I like the 2016 which along with the 2005 are my two favorite vintages. I did try the dense 2018 and preferred the 2017, where the balance seemed more harmonious.

2 Likes

1996 is just a lovely drop.

2 Likes

That’s a shame. If other chateaux can do it in Bordeaux, what’s their excuse?

1 Like

Thanks for the notes and the pictures, Julian! We were very fortunate to have been able to visit Pichon Baron during a wine cruise in 2017, and it was a fabulous visit. I would love to make it back up there again! And, I agree with you regarding the 2016 Pichon Baron. One of the best wines of the vintage, IMO!

Cheers,
Ed

2 Likes

A few years ago I was preparing a client for a deposition when this general topic came up and he said, “rattlesnake venom is organic, but I wouldn’t want to drink it.”

I note that as someone who always buys organic in the supermarket because it generally signifies that you’re doing things “the right way,” as a way of saying that when you’re talking about a vineyard I’m willing to be less doctrinaire where folks are making an effort in extreme climate stress to produce the best product possible and being fully organic doesn’t allow that.

Hopefully that makes sense.

2 Likes

I understand what you’re saying but I disagree. It matters and there has never been a better time to farm organically in Bordeaux.

1 Like

I listened to an interview with Christian Seely on Jancis Robinson’s podcast today and it sounded like they’ve converted primarily to organic practices, but haven’t certified due to concerns about spraying too much copper sulfate to manage mildew and it building in the soils.

1 Like

amazing. one of my favorite chateau. i probably had more p-b than any other bordeaux to be honest. love the pics and report. thank julian.

Great write up, as always.

Julian, in your capacity as wine press of course, could you tell us which are you favorite Bordeaux, especially over the last 15 years or so? I think my palate aligns well with yours and you seem to try both heralded and unheralded estates alike, so I’m sure it will be interesting and useful.

Stunning pictures. Bravo!
Sounds like a great visit
Been to Burgundy twice, never Bordeaux. Maybe it’s time

Thanks for all the feedback and kind words!

The WB calling card is always worth a try - I just write an email explaining that I’m a long-term fan, with lots of vintages in my cellar (all of which is true, sadly for my wallet) and that I intend to do a write-up to be posted on WB. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, depending on who reads the mail, but at the very least it ensures a warm welcome. It’s not however essential - with only one exception (Dauzac), all of our visits have been fun.

About the organic question, there was certainly nothing organic about the product they were spraying. I saw the containers but don’t remember the name of the product used. I think that like most châteaux, they are using a lot less chemicals, edging towards organic methods, but really, just taking much better care of the vineyard than in the past. I suspect that they will wait and see how successful Comtesse’s conversion is before committing themselves further. This year will have been challenging for organic and biodynamic producers, but the winds of change have been blowing strongly for several years now and eventually. I believe all the major châteaux will go organic.

As always, when we do a visit, our impression of the château is either enhanced or challenged, not by the tasting, but by what we have seen and heard. In the case of Pichon Baron, like Pichon Comtesse last year, it was definitely enhanced. As @Mark_C_Johnson wrote, there’s a feeling of “a well engineered space ship” about the place - of course, this is literally light years away from the Clos du Jaugueyron experience we had two years ago, but OK, all that technology and investment is paying off and there’s nothing remotely spoofy about the wine. Having said that, I still prefer Comtesse!

Pat, my taste is pretty close to yours, Mark’s and Robert A’s! Very classical and mostly Left Bank, apart from stuff like Magdelaine. My taste has evolved over the last few years, like most people’s I think, but my favourites today would be:

Pauillac
Pichon Baron and Comtesse
Duhart-Milon
Armailhac and Clerc-Milon
GPL
Haut-Bages Libéral
Batailley

Saint Julien
Léoville Barton
Clos du Marquis (can’t afford LLC!) - but actually, this is now at the same level as LLCs of the past
Lagrange
Gruaud
Talbot
Du Glana

Saint Estèphe
Lafon-Rochet

Margaux
Bel Air Marquis d’Aligre
Clos du Jaugueyron
Closerie des Moussis
Brane-Cantenac
Issan
Giscours
Durfort
Ferrière
Rauzan-Ségla
Prieuré-Lichine

Pessac-Léognan
Haut Bailly
Dom de Chevalier, depending on the vintage
La Louvière
Malartic-Lagravière, depending on the vintage

Others

Sociando-Mallet - of course - my number one in terms of quantity in the cellar, especially Cuvée JG
Citran
Larose-Trintaudon
Lanessan
Caronne Sainte Gemme
Chasse-Spleen
Poujeaux

So nothing too eclectic apart from a couple of Margaux! I do like the occasional Poyferré but I wouldn’t put it in my favourites anymore.

On the Right Bank, apart from Magdelaine and Moulin Saint Georges, nothing much although I enjoyed discovering Meylet this year.

Cheers!

5 Likes

Lesser known but this always seems to be a very good QPR. The SAQ in Quebec used to bring plenty of them every vintage so they were always readily available. They tend to drink well in their youth and I’ve had some older examples that held the road as well.

1 Like