Visiting Paul Blanck and a video of Alsace tasting

Greetings,

This past Saturday, I had the pleasure of tasting through several vintages and terroirs of Domaine Paul Blanck in Kientzheim, just near Kaysersberg - prime real estate in terms of Alsatian terroir. Although they did not have any 2010s to taste - 2010 counts as one of the best vintages in the last 25 years in Alsace - it was great to try vintages like 2009, 2008 and 2007. Of the three, I prefer 2008, but 2007 can be very good, too while 2009 tends to be on the rich side - but still good.

Anyway, as you can read in this extensive post, I loved the Rieslings and Gewürztraminers while having a bit of trouble with the Pinot Gris, but that is mainly due to my personal taste towards Pinot Gris in Alsace, which I find too often cloying and somewhat “stuck between” the two other aforementioned grapes in terms of style. Whatever the case may be, any visit to Alsace wine country should include a visit to Paul Blanck, because the price/quality ratios are often superb.

The weekend before, I started a club for tasters, and we tried some very good wines from Sipp Mack and Trimbach. I particularly liked the Trimbach Cuvee Frédéric Emile 2002 for current drinking and the 2007 for future drinking. Of the two, I have a feeling that 2007 is better in the long run, but the 2002 is very very good indeed. As for Sipp Mack, once again, what a great pleasure it was to drink their Rosacker Grand Cru Riesling 2010: smooth and pure and crisp and delicious. We also enjoyed some entry level wines from both houses, all quite good, too - with prices very fair. Video from the tasting below:

Crisp Alsatian whites are a good ticket for hot summer days. Try serving a cool and fresh Muscat or Pinot Blanc as your guests arrive for example at a summer party.

[drinkers.gif]

Cheers, Panos

Cool stuff, Panos. I love that '02 CFE, even though it is still a baby. And I’ve thoroughly enjoyed the couple Blanck wines I’ve had, too — I seem to recall a dry Riesling from Schlossberg as a standout — was that one on tasting?

Greetings Brian, thanks for reading, the Domaine Paul Blanck Schlossberg Grand Cru Riesling 2009 was very good, although probably not as good as the 2010, which was not available.

I just had my first ever Paul Blanck Riesling last week, the 2008 Paul Blanck Riesling Rosenbourg. It was delicious, and I picked up a bottle for the cellar. Looks like I need to try some more. Thanks for the write-up.

Nice to see this nice video Panos!
If you are in the area, don’t hesitate to stop here and discover my new vintages!
Cheers!
Florian

Would love to Florian, thank you. In fact I am working on a couple of articles on Alsace so will give you a ring later this afternoon!

One of my all time favorite wine experiences was in 1999, with Philippe taking myself, a friend and his wife on what amounted to a 6 hour personal tour through their many vineyards, tasting current and cellared wines, topped off by taking many of those opened bottles to Aux Armes for dinner. Incredibly gracious host and as you say great quality for the money.

I get what you are saying about Pinot Gris often being too cloying. Didn’t surprise me that the one you liked in your tasting notes was from Schlossburg as the site has lots of limestone and always produces distinctly racy wines of every variety. I find it needs the most aging of the Grand Cru varieties before showing its best, as it sheds that fat and lets the subtleties through. I’ve also found Pinot Gris can behave more like a red wine at the Alsatian dinner table, paired with roasts and hearty dishes which seems to cut through some of that heaviness, actually can make it seem necessary.

Yes Philippe is indeed a great person, and not only he loves to share his passion for the wines, he also know how to share it. Talking with him is always instructive!
Florian