Visiting Giscours + shopping at Sociando-Mallet

Our last trip of the year and in terms of wine tourism, the best. Like Pichon, I had visited Giscours twenty years ago and had been fairly underwhelmed, but I was inspired to go back by the excellent website:

There are lots of possible visits at prices ranging from 15 to 60 euros. We chose “La Vie à Giscours”, at 60 euros, which turned out to be an excellent idea.

This is the view of the château when you arrive:

On the left is the building containing the offices, normal tasting room, bar and shop:

On the right is the cuvier and cellar:

And here you can see Cinderella’s glass carriage - well, a golf cart - our transportation for the visit:

Our charming and bubbly hostess, Eva, began by driving us to see the vineyard:

Like Pichon Baron, no plans yet to go organic, but they certainly have changed their methods in the vineyard compared to twenty years ago - no more weedkiller between the rows.

Then we visited the huge park and woods. This is the château from the park side:

And from the lake:

The large wood has several redwoods and sequoias:

This is Giscour’s cricket pitch (!):

They also have sheep and a cows (in the distance you can spot the rare local breed - Bordelaise - that Giscours are helping to protect:

This is where they organise weddings:

Our tour of the grounds complete, we visited the cuvier:

All the vats looked to be the same as when I last visited - all concrete. They have been spruced up and fitted with temperature control systems, but otherwise no obvious changes.

The cellar is also the same as before, but with added air-conditioning:

We then went to the château itself for our tasting:

We tasted the three wines blind, which was fun:

La Sirène 2015: we all got this one right - it was in the same style as Giscours, but slightly lighter. Actually it was quite a nice surprise and at around 25 euros would be very good value.

Giscours 2009: I mistook this for the 2010. It was an odd wine - perhaps a bad bottle, but very evolved and already showing signs of tiredness - not what I was expecting at all. I’ll have to try one of mine to check.

Giscours 2010: sumptuous, the best I’ve tried since the 2000, the 2010 is quite full-bodied, with classic cassis and blackberry, plus violet and a typically dusty finish. None of the spicy tones of the vintage, very pure and just a great Giscours. Glad I have some!

All three were from halves, opened just before our visit.

So that was it - the visit lasted around two and a half hours and was really good fun - this is one that children would enjoy too, because of the golf cart cross-country trip, but also the majesty of the château rooms - which you don’t get to see with the cheaper visits.

So from the point of view of wine tourism, very highly recommended - great fun and fascinating. Giscours have really invested in the whole idea of giving visitors a fun time - and as you can see on the website, there are loads of other possibilities, ranging from concerts to dinner at the château, to picnics in the grounds, to staying the night in one of the buildings.

As for the winemaking facilities and general impression…well, less good. On the photo of the outside of the cuvier and cellar, you can spot on the right the inox vats which are used for the final blend before bottling - and which are outside (!). There is a clear lack of investment. The air-conditioned cellar is fine - but I couldn’t see any sign of proper insulation and there were doors left open.

I think the problem is that the Albada Jelgersma family still (to my knowledge) only own 51% of the business, the remaining 49% belonging to Nicole Tari. There has been a lot of friction over the years between the two families and I understand that the Taris are now trying to get back control of Giscours. All this must restrict the level of spending by the current team on facilities and equipment. This does not of course mean that they’re doing a bad job. Giscours under the management of Alexander Van Beek has produced far better wines than the previous regime and is probably better than ever. Anyway, I hope the situation is resolved and that whoever wins the latest battle is able to make further improvements.

On our way home, we stopped off at Sociando-Mallet to buy some Cuvée Jean Gautreau. I love it there - it’s not just the wine, the view is magnificent:

These are the current vintages available and their prices:

As you can see, despite the fact that Cellartracker now lists it as “Hommage à Jean Gautreau”, the Cuvée JG’s name is actually unchanged. I wanted some 2015 and 2016, but temptation got the better of me so I bought some 2002, 2008 and 2017 too! Unlike other châteaux, there really is a point in buying at the property, because the Cuvée JG is impossible to find anywhere else, except at auction. They will happily ship anywhere in Europe.

Well that’s it for another year - thanks for reading!

20 Likes

Amazing pictures and write up, well done.
I’m surprised they don’t sell half bottles at SM.

Vraiment formidable!

1 Like

Excellent write-up. Another one I was at 40 years ago. That property is huge. Does look the same.

Thanks for your write-up! (Indeed, for all your recent write-ups.)
I do wonder why there’s a cricket pitch at Giscours…Anyone know?

I think they use it to play cricket.

2 Likes

So that’s what it’s for!

Yes. There was at least when I was around, cricket matches there. Great fun

My eureka wine was 1979 Giscours, and have always had a soft spot for the chateau. It flourished in the 1960s and 1970s producing extraordinary wines, and during the time Chateau Margaux was underperforming (arguably 1962-1978) Giscours was just behind Palmer as Margaux best wine. If you can get your hands on the 1970, it is still glorious.

1982 was way below par, and the chateau produced some pretty dreadful wines after that, before it was purchased by the Albada Jelgersma family. The whole thing got really nasty between the Taris, the original owners, and the Albada Jelgersma family, and the litigation went on for some years. I did not realize it was starting again, or perhaps never finished.

There seemed to be a dark cloud over the chateau, and the bad luck continued. The new owner suffered a boating accident and was paralyzed. Nice guy too.

During this time the wines improved, but it was 2010 before I found a wine matched the great vintages of the past. I just had a bottle; too young of course but really superb.

1 Like

I was amazed when I saw it - I thought…hang on…a cricket pitch?! Apparently they have a château team who play the occasional match against visiting teams.

Yes, I have fond memories of that 79 too, as I told our hostess. Over the years Giscours has been quite frustrating, excellent some years, indifferent in others, but I love the taste of the good ones and keep buying pretty well every year.

I suspect that the scandals that have rocked Giscours, the last quite recent concerning the 2016 vintage, are a direct result of the ongoing conflict between the two families.

Merci Jim!

Thanks - and you’re right, it’s odd that they don’t. But not as odd as the fact that the Cuvée Jean Gautreau is so hard to find anywhere apart from the actual château!

1 Like

Odd that, whereas the prices for the regular cuvee are pretty much the same as in the US, the Jean Gautreau is considerable less expensive and not much of an uptick from the regular.

I think that like all château shops, the prices have to be higher than those practised by négociants and normal retailers, so as not to be seen as undercutting the main sales channels. Therefore, the prices are never very attractive and concerning the SM normal cuvée, this is very much the case on the basis of French market prices. There is absolutely no point in buying it direct.

As for the Cuvée JG, it’s a bit more complicated. Firstly, I believe that only one négociant actually sells it and apparently does so rather half-heartedly, since it’s nowhere to be found (I just looked on WS and not a single shop in France came up). It isn’t marketed by the château as being for sale direct - unless you actually go there, you would never know.

But I suppose this is not very surprising. The château, like the négociants, must be much more concerned with selling the hundreds of thousands of bottles of SM and La Demoiselle. Promoting the Cuvée JG could damage the sales of the main products. I think this is why they are at pains to stress that the Cuvée JG is “another approach” rather than the super-cuvée that most people would understand it to be.

So why do they make it? Well, originally it was not for sale at all, a special wine made by Jean Gautreau for his daughter. Now, it has become a bit of a conundrum for the reasons I’m guessing at. Anyway, it’s well worth seeking out.

1 Like

Julian you are on a roll, spectacular threads!

Of course, this one on SM hits closest to home! Thanks for sharing. And glad you are loading up in the JG, it is special. I had the 1998 last week, drinks much differently than the normale, as you note. I have the 2014 (and I think the 2016) coming to me in fall in 750 and mags. Love this stuff.

Cheers Robert - I did think of you when I was eyeing all those bottles of JG! I have no doubt you would have grabbed the lot!

1 Like