Visiting D'Issan and Dauzac

When I visited Lynch Bages about 2 years ago, similar experience. Cool facility, so-so tasting. Similarly, forget the 1st’s for tasting experience., at least from what I saw on that trip- although being on those grounds and seeing things like the Mouton museum is superb. It is a balance of what you want, I suppose.Had great tastings at DDC, Haut Bailly and SHL….as well as really top notch tours; but, Pessac is quite a ways from Pauillac. Next trip I would personally focus on St. Julien. Any good tours in St. estephe?

1 Like

If I was going to Burgundy, I could see your point. When at estates in Burgundy, I taste a whole range of wines and then buy a bunch of wines that I cannot find here (or cannot find here at anywhere near the same prices). By contrast, while I love Pichon Baron and Lynch Bages as wines, the visits there were mostly about seeing the property. The visits were nice, but somewhat impersonal (nothing like tasting with Nicolas Rossignol at Rossignol-Trapet last summer, for example, or even tasting with the CellarMaster at Ducru). I can buy the wines here at about the same price or less as I can there. So, I don’t see any reason to go back, at least as compared to spending scarce time at other wineries that I have not been to before.

A decade is a long time. Agree some diversity is always good, hence suggesting all new and one old friend. Yes it is unlike Burgundy or even the Rhone in the “you can buy it readily in the US aspect” and the fact that Burgundy and Rhone producers make a much wider range of wines.

My curiousity would be in seeing how they have improved over last decade and hear it first hand, viticulture, cooperage, storage, winemaking, yeast, etc…and then revisiting Lynch Bages from 1985, 1995, 2005, 2015 when I got home to reflect on those changes and if they were really improvements.

From the list you provided I could see doing Lagrange or Gruaud Larose too.

Julian,

Thanks for your advice.

I have asked Henri and he says we can do three appointments during the day. The ship gets in about 5:00 pm the day before and leaves at 6:00 that Saturday evening, so we will have a pretty full day. We already have an appointment at D’Issan at 10:30 that will last about 2 hours (seems like a similar tasting to what you did). In the afternoon, we can stay in Margaux or go to St. Julien or Pauillac, which will be on the way back to the ship.

I know that Henri will provide us suggestions for lunch, but thanks for the help. Last time there, we went to restaurant “Le Saint-Julien” in St-Julien but we will need a new place as we have made reservations there for dinner the night before.

Thanks for the kind comments. I feel like writing up visits is a part of giving back to all the other people here who do so (this board is my favorite source for restaurant recommendations when I go to Europe) and to the people at the wineries who spend their time with me and treat me so generously.

And, as much as you love Bordeaux and Loire reds, you probably should go there every year. If obviously has been a long time since your honeymoon - was it before or after they developed the 1855 classifications? Let your slaves, I mean associates, do some work and you go to France.

If Leoville Barton were one of the options presented to me (I assume that they are closed on Saturdays), this would be very easy.

1 Like

Jeff, your site is very helpful.

HA!

Ironically, my wife is going to Loire and then French Open in May with her girlfriends, and of all things, on a 7-day cycling trip! And alas, she does not like Chinon. But, she does love Sancerre and Vatan! We’ve been there together, but also a long time ago.

I went to Provence and the South of France with my son last May and we did not hit a single winery! We had a blast. Truthfully, I’m not a big winery visitor, unless it is a unique winery whose wines are hard to purchase retail. Bordeaux, as you know, is pretty easy to acquire. Would be cool to go back to Chinon.

They had an impressive spread for us with the grand vin, Langoa and Mauvesin. Poyferre was very good with less wine and a wonderful pairing. Guess this boils down to whether you want to experience a different Chateau and what they have open for you. I’d always take an experience over straight tasting.

Juiian - Outstanding report. Thank you!

Not easy to get appointments, but for visits, Burgundy is a great place to visit wineries (and eat food). One of the greatest things in Bordeaux is just driving around and seeing the grand houses. Super impressed by Ducru and Yquem both inside and outside.

Just visited Lynch-Bages in November. It was like nothing I’ve ever seen visiting wineries. Definitely worth considering a revisit with the new facilities.

1 Like

Well, after thinking about this, considering comments, etc., I have pretty much decided on asking Henri to try to set up an appointment for us at Gruaud Larose. I love drinking Gruaud Larose from when it was at the top of its game (e.g., 1982 and 1986) and, since I understand that they are getting better again, I want to see that property and what is happening there.

For the second additional place to go (as I said earlier, we are already set for D’Issan), I am torn between Beychevelle and Branaire Ducru. From mature wines I have had, I like Beychevelle better and it would be neat to see the place, but I have not had Branaire in a recent vintage and I understand there wines are really interesting. Alternatively, I am thinking of asking Henri if Ferriere is open on Saturdays since Haut Bages Liberal is. I can buy most or all the other classified wines here locally, but Ferriere is harder to find locally so that might be worth trying to visit again.

Thanks for all the help and any future thoughts.

1 Like