Visit to Christopher Loewen (Carl Loewen)

In my search to nice dry Rieslings, a “must do” stop was Carl Loewen, which I discovered in a Restaurant 2 years ago and re-tasted last month… I was so impressed that it was a Must Do for me to visit them :slight_smile:

I was not only impressed by the wines, but also very surprized by the quality of the 2021 vintage!!

2021 Carl Loewen Pinot Blanc - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (06-02-22)
Amazing nose of accacia flower, salty, hint of honey, mineral, citrus… Very nice mineral, citrus, amazing lenght for an entry level wine, very delicious!! (93 pts.)

2021 Carl Loewen Riesling “Quant” - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (06-02-22)
Beautiful mineral, citrus, hint of ananas, superbe coquilles d’huitres… Superbe minéral, citrus, coquilles d’huitres, very nice tension, almost electric (Halb-trocken = fruity) (90 pts.)

2021 Carl Loewen Riesling Varidor - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (06-02-22)
Nice nose of citrus and yellow apples, hint of green leaves, very dry, super mineral, citrus, very nice, hint of green, almost tannic, salty finish (91 pts.)

2021 Carl Loewen Riesling Alte Reben - trocken - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (06-02-22)
50-70 years old vines. Very mineral, but at the same time citrus pie, nice tension… WOW, very delicious, superb balance, citrus, yellow apple, citrus pie, nice! (93 pts.)

2021 Carl Loewen Maximin Klosterlay Riesling - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (06-02-22)
50 years old vines. Very mineral, crazy dry, cold iron, citrus pie, pamplemousse… Very long and complex, I love it!! Fresh and clean palate, huge concentration, 30 sec finish, huge mineral with citrus and fruit finishing dry!! (94 pts.)

2021 Carl Loewen Leiwener Laurentiuslay Riesling Alte Reben - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (06-02-22)
Very mineral, almost blue stone, nice citrus, with very strong stone taste!! … Crazy taste of blue stone, citrus, lenght of 20 sec. Will be very very nice with food. (95 pts.)

2021 Carl Loewen Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg Riesling Trocken Alte Reben “1896” - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (06-02-22)
100-125 years old vines on red slate (oldest riesling vines in the world!)… Very dry nose, mineral, quite closed, herbes coupées… Taste is very dry, loads of herbes, stony, lenght of 20 seconds. Don’t touch for the next 10 years!! (95-97+/100) (95 pts.)

2021 Carl Loewen Thörnicher Ritsch Riesling Großes Gewächs - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (06-02-22)
2nd steepest vineyard. Mineral, salty, exotic fruit, citrus peel… Very clear, refreshing, very very mineral, liquid stone, loads of pamplemousse. (95-97+/100) (96 pts.)

2021 Carl Loewen Riesling 1896 - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (06-02-22)
Very very salty citrus, citrus peel, white flowers… Very powerful fruit and stones, loads of mineral, citrus peel, very delicious, length of 60 seconds (98-99/100) (98 pts.)

2021 Carl Loewen Longuicher Maximiner Herrenberg Riesling Kabinett - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (06-02-22)
Very nice citrus and loads of mineral, hint of honey… Nice citrus and loads of nice fruit sweetness that is very well balanced by loads of minerality. (91 pts.)

2021 Carl Loewen Leiwener Laurentiuslay Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (06-02-22)
Nice nose of blue slate, citrus, citrus pie… Delicious balance, you almost don’t feel the sweetness, superb blue slate feeling, citrus pie, very well made. (93-94/100) … Would be fun to place this in a blind tasting against J.J. Prüm GH :slight_smile: (94 pts.)

2021 Carl Loewen Thörnicher Ritsch Riesling Auslese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (06-02-22)
Citrus peel taste, pamplemousse… Very refreshing citrus aroma, lenght and complexity of an auslese!! (95 pts.)

2021 Carl Loewen Leiwener Klostergarten Riesling Eiswein - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (06-02-22)
Barrel sample at a very early stage, but very promising!! Huge nose of citrus pie and Italian merringue… Taste is incredibly concentrated of citrus pie, with minerality and a huuuuuge refreshing acidity!! (98 pts.)

Disclaimer : I might import this wine in the future :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Love the wines. Had a fantastic visit there in August.

His wines were also praised by Jean Fisch (Mosel Fine Wines), what are your experiences with his wines?

Somehow missed this post the first time around — shame on me! I’ve loved the few wines I’ve had from this producer. I’ve never bought more of a wine than I did his 2015 Herrenberg Kabinett ---- loooooove that one!

Are these available anywhere in the US?

Skurnik imports them, so they are available across the US.

Sorry, should have been more specific. Looking for the Loewen Thornicher Ritsch bottles, especially Kabinett and Spätlese.

Again - Skurnik. That said, you should look for the 2023 vintage DI offerings (check out Flatiron for a good source…should be coming up in late June) to see if you can order it. I doubt much comes in looking for a buyer.

1 Like

It is expensive but don’t sleep on the Dark Grey 1896 bottling:

2 Likes

I’ll pick up a couple! Thanks Robert! :clinking_glasses:

(Edit: If I can find some.)

Yep. Although it drives me nuts that I used to be able to get kabinett and Spätlese from those grapes for $15-$20. I so miss Schmitt-Wagner.

The Laurentiuslay is also great. Recommended

2 Likes