Virtual Tasting Series: Week 3 Syrah Over Four Continents

This weeks theme will be Syrah over 4 continents - Post any Syrah or Syrah-dominant blend from Europe, North America, Australia, or Africa. Comparison of styles across different terroirs is encouraged…

Lori and I will pledge $10 per tasting note to Malala Fund

Good call, Larry, albeit a bit broad!

I made it a sticky.

Good stuff Larry. I just popped an '05 Leigh Cellars Sleepy Hollow Syrah (hope you’re out there and well Gerry F.) for the cause. Will post a note in thread after I’ve had a chance to evaluate it a bit.

It is broad but I felt bad that people were waiting with their cork pullers. Wanted to be sure everyone had a bottle to open.

Yes! I’ll get one going this week. And the charity endures. Very nice, P.

You’re killing me. I did 3 Syrahs on T’giving!

Good thing my cellar bursts with it. Eyeballing a Jemrose Cardiac, Jade Mtn Paras, Bedrock Lauterbach, Pax Terraces, A-R Alder Springs, Roar SLH or Garys, Cabot Humboldt, Gonon St Joseph and they are all calling out to me!

I’m virtually ready to head over to Tuite’s this weekend!

Virtual offline?

You guys just gave me incentive to pop some Clape!

I was starting to feel left out by all the Californicating!

Ps. Getting a slight cold from burning too many candles, as usual, so may be Saturday or Sunday hopefully.

Excellent----I’ve been thinking about opening a 2008 Mullineux from S.A. recently and this gives me a good excuse. Tonight for dinner!

I’ll be opening a Long Shadows Sequel Syrah from Columbia Valley Saturday.

2011 Apsara Cellars Syrah Las Madres Vineyard
Carneros 13.9% 1/2 hr decant, got home later than expected so a little less decant time than I would have liked. Nose and palate both dominated by savory notes, green tea, olives, black pepper and meat with hints of blue and black fruits in the background. Took on much needed weight with time in the glass and the fruit notes started to catch up. Looking forward to watching these develop.

I’ll play…

1995 Rockford Shiraz Basket Press- Still quite dark and youthful looking. Wonderfully powerful, complex and explosive nose of black pepper, juniper, meaty beef blood, iron and just a hint of Brett. Very dense and complex dark fruits on the attack with resolved tannins and a nice earthy crunchy finish. You would never peg this as an Aussie Shiraz, much more Cote Rotie like - can’t wait to see how it pairs with food.

Edit: Went fantastically well with duck confit, roasted potatoes and beets. Left a little for tonight and the fruit really is shining through even more on day 2 - beautiful dark, dark blackberry fruit with lots of structure and class. Well stored this wine has many, many years of pleasure ahead of it.

Loving the nose on this. Dark fruit, blood, tobacco and Cali Syrah funk. Looks and smells as fresh as it did 3 years ago. Notes to come later.

[resizeableimage=480,640]http://i970.photobucket.com/albums/ae190/btuite/image_zps264ea2f7.jpg[/resizeableimage]

• 2005 Blackjack Ranch Syrah Maximus Hillside Reserve - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Barbara County (12/6/2013)
    The color is showing the early signs of aging as it begins to brick around the edges and the core lessens in intensity. Not that we’re scoring at home but the legs are fine and slow after a quick swirl. Nose is dark toast, pine cones, dark fruit. Palate is like Christmas morning, lots of surprises. Toast is still there but it’s backed up with charcoal and dark berry. Mid palate is dominated by tapenade, garrigue, and a substantial dose of salinity which leads into a very long finish. Very well balanced and cellar worthy, should have purchased more. Farewell.

Posted from CellarTracker

2008 Bedrock Syrah, Sonoma County, Kick Ranch: Maybe one of the first Bedrock wines I purchased. Opaque purple, almost black, in color. Nose is more perfumed and floral than I would have expected, but makes sense seeing now that there is viognier in the mix. The wine also smells strongly of black fruits with a bit of rubbing alcohol. I taste a lot of blackberry with some leathery notes, but there is also an astringent/sour taste in the mid-palate that I don’t quite like. Hopefully it will integrate with a little more air. Good mouthfeel and very long finish. 88 points with potential to move upward if the sour note dissipates.

2008 Mullineux Syrah

Pop and pour, definitely some bacon fat aspect, game too, and ripe boysenberry lurking underneath. A very nice drink, this has quite good carry with some raspberry and currant joining the fray, and also what I might describe as roasted aniseed. The acidity perks this up all the way through the mouth and throat, and back-end of peppered steak and just a hint of red licorice. I like how multifaceted this has become. Will check back in on it tomorrow.

Maluhia,

Mike

• 2005 Roar Syrah Garys’ Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands (12/6/2013)
    Last of 4 bottles and this one should have been opened a few years ago. On pnp the nose was blood, dark fruit, tobacco, tar and Cali Syrah funk. First sip was loaded with rich dense fruit, chocolate, smoke and quite a bit of heat, some w/c grip and big fruit.

After 3 hours this is not getting better. The palate is flabby and the fruit is turning raisiny. A slight bitterness on the finish with fully integrated tannins. The color is still great on this wine and it has a lot of fruit but just too much of it and not enough acid to keep it balanced. Too bad because the nose is awesome. Just OTH.

Posted from CellarTracker

Strong second post!

Keep them coming.

Just finishing trimming the tree, wine is gone, replaced by the fireplace and holiday music.

Peace on earth and wherever Bob Wood may be.

2008 Keever Napa Valley Syrah. Cork looked like it would start leaking soon. crushed berries and bacon fat on the nose. A youngster on the first sip. Acidic blackberry with a fairly short finish. After 15 minutes, blackberry with some coffee notes as it comes together and the acidity wanes to the background. Finish is lenghtening to the 30 second mark. This one is built for the long haul with all the parts and pieces, just needs more time, 2020 is my guess.