Virtual Tasting for Charity - Empty My Wallet, Help Me Support Laura's House (11/19 - 11/28)

Way to go, Counselor Seiber. Terrific support here.

1 Like

Looks like 165 discrete notes, so that’s $165 from me to Laura’s House. Tomorrow is the day that my employer’s matching event kicks off, so timing is good.

4 Likes

That’s a lot of Pinot! flirtysmile

Thank you, Buek. This all goes a long way.

It’s been a great Monday. Another Berserker has anonymously stepped forward and has donated another $2,000 match, in essence now pushing us over $7,000. Thank you to this donor, someone who was moved by all the posts and efforts during the challenge.

The generosity of this place is amazing, and as this person told me, this board has a unique culture of mixing the hobby with good causes and things that make people happy, to come together.

Awesome.

5 Likes

Yes! Many times over.

and thank you Counsellor,
and all who participated and contributed to Laura’s House.
Grateful for the work they do.

Loved the photos too.
Now on to the next Virtual Tasting for the two charities selected by Kirk Grant. Will need to look for a few bottles to open.

Frank,

Thank you very much for doing this, and for choosing Pinot Noir as your wine of choice. This Berserkers are an extraordinary group, and definitely make a huge impact for small wineries. I know from speaking to Greg and Amanda at Suzor and Blair and Arabella at Trathan Hall that the exposure and appreciation on the board has made a significant impact for them. It’s been a huge part of the success of Goodfellow as well.

I’m, happily, on the hook for $50 to Laura’s House for Jay Hack’s 2001 Ponsot, and will add another $289, $1 for each of the posts on this thread.

3 Likes

Donation in! Really can’t thank you enough for what you do Frank.

Absolutely amazing support this year when we needed it the most! You have touched many fragile lives with your generosity, and given them hope for their future through your kindness. I feel compelled to share that I asked an 8 year old boy at our shelter what he enjoyed most about the holidays. I felt sure he’d say it was the toys or sweets he’d received. He melted my heart when he said the best thing was that his mum didn’t cry every night and that made him happy. You make stories like this possible and I appreciate every one of you who take the time to participate. I wish you all a happy, merry and healthy holiday season.
Cheers!
Margaret x

3 Likes

Scott and Marcus, thank you. Margaret and I, we appreciate the support.

Hey Marcus, you should thank Brig, who selected your winery to be his choice for a blind Pinot Noir taste-off we are doing this Saturday. 5 producers, 2 wines each, all done blind. Look forward to trying more of your stuff this weekend through his selections.

1 Like

Crap, got distracted with travel and didn’t get my notes in on time! Had 3 bottles of Pinot in that frame as well:
2015 Lioco Laguna, Sonoma Coast
2013 Harvest Moon, RRV
2014 Lutum La Rinconada Vineyard

I’ll have to up my game for the other charity week tastings!

Company was doing a double match today, so right time to get this done.
LH.jpg

Sorry to have missed this but I did happen to drink some Pinot that week. I’ll find a way to contribute on my own in the next few days.

Well done everyone! [cheers.gif]

• 2018 Rivers-Marie Pinot Noir Summa Old Vines - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (11/27/2021)
    I’m only taking a preview with this because we somehow got allocated three this vintage rather than the normal two. This already has some of that OV class. A bit earthy and foresty on the nose. A touch of mineral fades in and out. Black cherry palate. A very fine tannic feel. Again with the forest floor sort of thing. Hints of citrus. Night one shows a more forward character and some glycerined richness in the midpalate. Calls for more age. Night two brings a more complex, earthy rendition. Extraction level seems minimal. A touch of alcoholic bite. Other notes make this seem like an outlier but this fits in the realm of classic OV Summa to me where it doesn’t need bold fruit to make a statement. This also feels like it will also fit the typical aging curve of 6-8 years post vintage being good for this to unfold its best. Good stuff.

Posted from CellarTracker

Hello everyone. I’m refreshing this post from last year to get some notice out ahead of next month. I plan to run my challenge again to raise money for my charity Laura’s House. Many of you know about the tasting challenge and Laura’s House, as we have done this now for I think 8 years every Thanksgiving.

Last year we raised over $7,000 during the tasting challenge, in part because I had a # of matching donors (many anonymous) stepping up to match part or all of my contribution to support Laura’s House and their work to confront domestic violence as well as provide emergency safe shelter, counseling and transitional living for families who are fleeing the abuse. www.laurashouse.org

I will be running the challenge this year again, from November 19th through November 27th. If you want to understand the detail and the participation, look at post #1 in this thread and the many people who got behind it through their posts and support to drink and post tasting notes and photos.

Should you want to be a matching donor at whatever amount you can, please post or contact me. I already have a full match donor locked in, which is awesome.

Look forward to next month…and yes, it will be Pinot Noir and, of course, Pinot Noir Champagne.

2 Likes

I’ll get the entire virtual tasting series started next week.

Best time of the year!

@Frank_Murray_III I think this is the 10th year! Goodness time flies

Frank,

You started this, a lot of other Berserkers have started their own threads for their own charities. Bravo to all! I can’t participate in every one of these, but I’m always in on yours. I’ll pop as many Pinots as I can (I personally often prefer bigger reds when it’s cold, but sacrifices must be made!). I think last year my screwy accounting wound up with me donating about $170. It will be more this year.

Thank you.

Dan Kravitz

1 Like

Hello everyone. We are just 1 week out from my tasting challenge beginning. As you can see with Dan’s post previously, some of you may want to do more than post notes, to include matching some or all of my donation. Just consider it.

In context, last week over on Commerce Corner we raised another $2,500 for my charity, Laura’s House, through the auctioning of leftover bottles from our recent event, Falltacular. That money went directly back to the charity–all of it. And that money saves and changes the lives of families who have found the courage to flee domestic violence, get sheltered safely, then go through recovery, and in some cases, gain access to legal representation so they can stare at the judge, and find comfort in knowing that even with facing their abuser in court, they get the legal help from Laura’s House to secure the restraining orders many need. Ultimately, the money we raise in this upcoming challenge will do all of this, including helping provide the network for women, children (and in some cases, yes, men) fleeing for their lives and avoiding being beaten, or worst case, being murdered. That ain’t hyperbole, that’s the truth.

So if you want to match, great. Or, when we start on 11/19, you’re welcome to just post notes and make me pay for those. It all helps.

I’ll get the master thread going!

1 Like

Yeah, that’s appreciated. Brig, go ahead and change the date to begin for Friday, 11/18. Let’s move my start up a day so that we can capture two full weekends of notes as the bookends to the challenge period.

1 Like