Vinum Wine Guide Germany

Vinum Weinguide Deutschland, which is considered the leading German-speaking wine guide, was published on November 7. In the beginning of each chapter, they list their top producers per region. Below are their five-star producers in the Mosel, Nahe, Pfalz, and Rheinhessen:

Mosel
Clemens Busch
Falkenstein
Schloss Lieser
Joh. Jos. Prüm

Nahe
Dönnhoff
Emrich-Schönleber
Schäfer-Fröhlich

Pfalz
Bürklin-Wolf
Knipser
Rebholz
Rings

Rheinhessen
Battenfeld-Spanier
Keller
Kühling-Gillot
Wittmann

9 Likes

Congratulations! Well-deserved.

Thanks!

1 Like

Interesting who is missing in the Mosel.

2 Likes

Egon Müller was formerly a five-star producer but is no longer listed in the guide over the last couple of years. For whatever reason, he chose not to partake in the review.

Willi Schaefer and another 15 producers have four and a half stars.

It should be noted that the guides Eichelmann and Falstaff require producers to pay a fee for reviewing the wines. That’s why many producers don’t offer these guides samples.

1 Like

Who are Knipser and Rings? I’ve never heard of either.

1 Like

Robert Panzer brings in Rings. If he sees this thread, he may chime in more.

I have not had them personally, but I know they produce both riesling and spatburgunder.

1 Like

Knipser is a large VDP estate in Laumersheim, north of Kallstadt. The Knipsers are best known for their red wines, especially Spätburgunder. On a side note, Werner Knipser is good friends with Ulli Stein and Helmut Dönnhoff.

Rings is a relatively new VDP estate in Freinsheim, close to Kallstadt. The Rings are also two brothers who are known for their Spätburgunder but also for Riesling, including from Kallstadter Saumagen.

1 Like

Below are the Mosel producers rated four and a half stars:

Mosel
Ansgar Clüsserath
Franz-Josef Eifel
Fritz Haag
Julian Haart
Dr. Hermann
Heymann-Löwenstein
Knebel
Carl Loewen
Melsheimer
Markus Molitor
von Othegraven
Max Ferd. Richter
Willi Schaefer
Selbach-Oster
Thanisch Erben Thanisch
Van Volxem

2 Likes

One of Palatinate/Pfalz benchmark producers. Old school, very good reds, also some whites.

1 Like

As you know, the Knipsers also make, like the Steins in the Mosel Valley, a Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot blend. But they are best known for their Riesling and Spätburgunder.

Vinum also awarded the Bordeaux-style Das Kreuz Reserve from Rings as the best “other” red wine from the 2018 vintage.

You can tag @Robert_Panzer.

2 Likes

Cuvee X …

As it happens, we opened yesterday

Last (or second to last? magical Saumagen Pinots were reported but not yet sighted) joint project between Knipser and B. Philippi, Mr. Saumagen, RIP. Liquid chalk, if there is such a thing.

2 Likes

What a coincidence! Thanks for sharing the photos.

By the way, I saw an Instagram post of that 2016 Kallstadter Saumagen Riesling Spätlese trocken from the late Bernd Philippi. He sold Koehler-Ruprecht, which is in good hands, in 2009. I double-checked the year.

2 Likes

Pay attention to the (VDP) eagle on the label taking a beating !

I’m not sure what you mean.

I believe that Klaus Peter Keller posted about that 2016 Saumagen Spätlese trocken from Bernd Philippi.

Here:

1 Like

Ha-ha! I overlooked that small detail.

Slight thread drift, but I have a couple of the Koehler-Ruprecht '16 Kallstadter Saumagen Spatlese and Auslese Trockens. Magical wines.

I wish I had a bottle of the Phillippi '16 KS Spat Trocken so I could compare.

1 Like