Vintage SQN Bottle collecting

Does anyone here collect empty vintage SQN bottles? What do you have/looking for?

@rudyk? :upside_down_face::blush::popcorn:

6 Likes

These are empties…

1 Like

Not sure if I am proud or what, but drank every one of those, but Poker Face.

1 Like

I had a really deep collection of SQN empties that needed to be rehomed when we sold our Chicago residence. I made the mistake of inquiring here about whether they were worth anything and what options I might have, and Maureen Downey went ballistic on me. Made some unsavory accusations about me enabling counterfeiting if I sold them. That was fun.

I ended up tossing them.

1 Like

Back on eBob, I am pretty sure you were one of the instigators that got me to sign-up for SQN.

Thank you.

1 Like

Tell Maureen to get a life. You can always etch them before you sell them if you want and if someone is stupid enough to buy an etched bottle, too bad, and if someone refuses to buy an etched bottle, they must be a friend of Rudy, so don’t sell it to them.

I have never sold one, and here’s a photo of my empty bottle collection as of, coincidentally, exactly three years ago. All were mine except for The Raven, which I have no idea how it got into my collection. I added about another 10 bottles since then. Oops, I jus noticed the NOK that snuck in there.

1 Like

Maureen is absolutely right in this case, although going ballistic was perhaps overkill. A quick search of e bay and plugging in Romanee Conti resulted in plenty of empty bottles and the cost of the empties varied, as better vintages cost a lot more than say 2004. It would be naive not to think these bottles will come back to market filled with something.

There are new technologies available which are almost invisible which can be incorporated into bottles, which would help. But in that case, it will still be there on the empty, and then it is just a question of refilling them rather than starting from scratch.

Given how much money someone can make reselling RC, the unscrupulous and their buyers have plenty of incentive to fake. What is sad is how many say it is to do on e bay.

3 Likes

Counterfeit goods have been a huge problem there since inception.
It goes both ways. Just as many unscrupulous buyers as sellers.