Village level and up bourgogne pinot noirs to start with?

Someone here really helpfully hipped me to a wine shop near where I live called Vinopolis, and I want to explore some Burgundy pinot noirs that really represent Burgundy pinot noir. Somewhere in the $30-$50 range - what do you like?

1 Like

So just to clarify Village level and Bourgogne are two different things. Bourgogne can be made from grapes grown anywhere in Burgundy which means it doesn’t give you as much a sense of place unless you happen to know the producer and where they get their grapes. So if you’re looking to learn about different areas, it would be better to focus on Village wines from different areas. That said, finding Village wines that happen to be in stock at a local place under $50 is getting harder and harder these days.

3 Likes

Are village level and burgundy different things? I thought bourgogne was the french spelling for burgundy and that village wines would be within that. But is bourgogne also an area within then?

1 Like

And then from up, I mean the crus, but I’m still learning to understand how that works too. That sense of a place is what I want to experience, with a little more specificity, and I’m hoping that can be somewhere around a 50 dollar zone at that village level-ish. Also, when it’s a premier cru for example, does that mean it’s narrower within a village or just of a certain standard of it?

1 Like

From Vinepair:

When buying a bottle of Burgundy, one of these four classifications will be labeled on the bottle:

• Grand Cru – This classification is reserved for the best vineyards. Only about 2 percent of all vineyards in Burgundy receive this classification. Wines with this classification receive the highest prices and are aggressively pursued by wine collectors.
  • Premier Cru – These wines are produced from vineyards that are still considered to be of stellar quality, but just a small step down from Grand Cru. These vineyards make up about 12 percent of all vineyards in Burgundy and can also produce wines that are quite expensive.
  • Village Wines – These are Burgundies that are produced from grapes sourced from several vineyards in 1 of the 42 villages of Burgundy. You will know it’s a Village wine because the name of the village where the grapes were sourced will be labeled on the bottle. These wines represent 36 percent of all Burgundy. Vineyards that produce Village wines may be right next to vineyards classified as Premier or Grand Cru, but for some reason they do not receive the same classification. Due to this, you can find excellent bang for your buck among Village wines.
  • Regional Wines – Finally, Regional wines are considered to be the lowest level of classification. These are wines that are created from a combination of vineyards from a variety of villages within Burgundy, as opposed to a single village, like Village wines. As such, wines of this classification will simply be labeled as a wine of Bourgone. These wines represent 50 percent of all wines produced in Burgundy and in this classification you will find excellent wines meant to be drunk now.
1 Like

Village like gevrey, chambolle or vosne
It’s > 35€ and mostly > 50€

Regional > 20€ mostly 25€

there are some exception like chablis/irancy
in south macon, rully

1 Like