Viennese KRAUTFLECKERLN (asia-style)

Krautfleckerln is a heritage of the former Austro-Hungary Empire also known as Danube Monarchy (1867-1918). The origin is the Bohemian cuisine (now Czech Republic). Flickerln is a little square or diamond-shaped Austria pasta form, in Italy they call it „Quadrucci“.

Luis Prenninger and Pepi Bräutigam interprete the Viennese classic „Krautfleckerln“ in a new way……with kimchi. And according to the austrian food-journalist Tobias Müller it is a terrfic dish and predicts it will be a future classic.

Luis is 23 and studied 3 years philosophy&politics in Warwick/UK and during University holidays he opened a pop-up restaurant in Vienna. Now he is back in Vienna and cooks in the new restaurant „ Café Azzurro“. The background story is that Luis&Pepi looked at Viennese classics and thought how to transform them and create a „pang“. The Kimchifleckerln were born.

english - Café Azzurro

Note: the original recipe contains 250g butter.
Unbelievable! The young generation really think they are immortal. :joy:

Ingredients

250g fresh pasta or lasagna sheets cut in little square pieces
350g cabbage or sweetheart cabbage, thinly sliced
350g Kimchi, chopped
2 tbsp sugar
250g butter (me: 100g butter)
250g dry white wine
2 onions, thinly sliced
1-2 tsp caraway seeds, crushed in a mortar
1-2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp Peperoncino
1 tsp white Miso
1 tbsp Aceto Balsamico
organic lemon peel
parsley, chopped

Preparation

1. Let the sugar caramalize until dark brown. But be careful it can fast developp to black and ruin everything.

1. Add white wine and cook for 2-3min

1. Add onions, cabbage or like me sweetheart cabbage, as it is much milder than the regular cabbage. Also add spices and butter. Let it cook on low heat for around 20min with lid.

1. After around 20min add white Miso and Aceto Balsamice for the final touch. BTW, I used only 100g butter, as I am not 20 years old anymore. :wink:

1. Cut Lasagne sheets in little square pieces or „Quadrucci“. Let it cook for 2-3min in salty water.

1. Let the Kimchi caramelize in a wok or big saucepan. Then add the cabbage and combine. Add cooked pasta and combine.

1. Finally add lemonpeel and parsley. Ready to serve…….

I am impressed! Unfortunately my kimchi was much too mild. I should have known it better, as I bought it in a german organic supermarket, never ever again. Only Asia-supermarket next time.

1 Like

UPDATE

I bought real (!) Kimchi today and add it to my leftover from yesterday. What a difference! Real punch and at the end a great great dish.

2 Likes

That looks fabulous!

Thank you!

It is on my ‘to do’ list!

1 Like

In my time in Switzerland, it was very, VERY hard to find anything that was truly spicy. It does not seem to fit naturally with what people expect.

1 Like

Kimchi is so funky, spicy, fermented and wonderful. Really love it!

1 Like

There’s a little Asian grocery store not too far from me where the owner’s wife usually makes various banchan dishes and different kimchis. On my last visit I bought Myeolchi Bokkeum (spicy fried anchovies) and cucumber kimchi, both of which were not shy with the chile.

I’ll again remind those who like to cook of this resource: https://kojicon.org/ So much fascinating knowledge!

OMG. This is like so tasty!!The fusion of traditional Austrian Krautfleckerln with kimchi sounds intriguing! I actually like Thai food so for those seeking more healthy recipe inspirations, check out some delicious and nutritious Thai food options here. Enjoy exploring new culinary adventures!