Very Disappointing Showings of Raveneau and Ramonet

I can at least taste a large difference on the reds but, to my understanding, a primary characteristic of chardonnay is its ability to take on secondary characteristics of the winemaker. I still buy a fair amount of Chablis but new oak and bruised apples aren’t my cup of tea. I personally wonder how much Meursault and Montrachet would taste like Volnay if they would tear out the crappy chardonnay grapes and put in some nice pinot noir? At least it doesn’t taste like fake butter and popcorn. I’ll take bland sherry over that.

I have, but they have so far been few and far between, and in the whites, not Chardy—a 1988 Eyrie Pinot Gris was marvelicious and a Golden Cluster Coury Old Vines Semillon was a truly fascinating drink.

Sarah—I think I know what Jonathan would say as to whether you’re QPR or not :wink:

As others, sorry to hear about the meh results, but glad to have you post them.

My last Ramonet was about 7 months ago:

"2015 Ramonet Chassagne Montrachet Ruchottes

Stylish for sure, and accessible, with baseline pear core and some buttered toast, this is quite silky and has a touch of sweet, but also is missing for me some real extra gear. Very likeable wine, but a memorable keeper? Maybe not as much. Of all the plots Ramonet handles, I think I’ve had the most variation with Ruchottes."

hahah. Nice twist.

In these times, I am glad to read that you could smell and taste the food. Better for something to be wrong with the Ramonet and Raveneau than something to be wrong with you two.

Very disappointing to read. 2007 was my last Raveneau buy and I haven’t opened any yet. As you well know, Montée du Tonnerre is usually a stunner. Sorry to hear that it wasn’t. I love that wine. BTW, my pocketbook has moved on to Oregon, and I’ve had some excellent whites. However, I’ve never had any that approach Raveneau.

Walter Scott x novo - I would put it up there with any white burgundy up to $100 (maybe more).

It definitely outclasses any Bourgogne at the same price range.

Try one. You’d be surprised

You’re amazed that not everyone has the same preferences as you?

Sorry to hear about the wines, the meal sounds delicious though. I need more people in my life who gift morels annually!

It sounds like you have multiple bottles of each. Maybe consider opening up another of each to see if its possibly bottle variation? This is an older thread (and unfortunately Wes Hagen’s blog no longer exists, though maybe someone more persistent can find it archived somewhere). I’m still convinced TCA impacts wines negatively and is often not noticeable unless you’re tasting the same wines repeatedly and know what to expect.

It’s a really good wine but there’s a lot of good white burg under 100 too; pycm remilly +/- m&m, chassagne vv and ancengenieres as starters. All the grand cru and some premier cru from top producers is up there now, though.

It’s better than those wines. And it cost less.

Pycm st aubin pricing now is a joke

I thought it was good but didn’t prefer it to the wines I’ve listed and others. I got the en remilly n&m cuvee for about 75/btl which I didn’t find excessive.

That’s why its wine and not Coca-Cola. There are days when they sing and there are times when they sleep.

FWIW, my friend opened the 2014 village Ramonet tonight and it was on song!

I’ve had it three times now and I don’t get the fuss. It’s a very good wine, but I’ve had lots of white Burgundies I like better and I rarely drink WB that costs over $100.

I’m in the camp that the bottles could have been affected by low level, below threshold TCA. As painful as it might be, when you have a lot of a particular wine and you have an off bottle, open a second bottle of the same wine side by side. Most often the second bottle will be much better, and you can then write the first bottle as ‘off’ even if you can’t be sure why.

Happened to me recently with a '95 Leroy Boudots. No real flaws at all, just 25% of what you expect from her wines. I would have preferred it to be corked – at least there would be an explanation.

I like this!

Seems wrong not to report back on the remainder of the Ramonet day 2 (yesterday evening with an early appetizer course of burrata, olive oil and sea salt on crostini). It was definitely not corked, and was improved in a number of ways. I don’t generally like dry wines on day 2, because they deteriorate for me in both taste and texture, even if some aspects have gotten better. There’s a staleness of a day 2 wine that can almost never overcome the ways in which it might have improved, for me. The nose on the Ramonet was considerably better, and the attack was much more typical of what I would expect. The mid-palate was no longer watery, though in general things were still struggling to come to life. It was pretty enjoyable to drink. So, while it wasn’t an ideal bottle, suffering as it did in my nose and mouth for day 2ism, it had characteristics improved enough to make me think it’s just in a totally locked down phase and that what makes it special is there, but will not be accessible for a while.

Sorry, Alan - no 2014 Ramonet for sale here. :slight_smile:

In addition a few special bottles from the Jura showed spectacularly well with dinner. We’re in Fred C’s camp of continuing to open bottles until something is spot on. That’s what the cellar is for.

QPR is absolutely horrendous once you figure out a percentage you are comfortable with to allow for Premox.

I have not bought for some years with the combination of premox and plenty of disappointments. The $120 I spend on a great Champagne, would barely get me past the first rung of white Burgundy. And frankly, after one night with four different premoxed wines, and the fatigue of going to and from the cellar, I decided it is just not worth the risk of buying Grand Cru Burgundy. I understand there are others quite happy to do so, so I can feel good about myself by not competing and driving the prices ever higher. champagne.gif

I can buy my Lafon Macon Vire young, but with tariff pricing pushing it to $40 a bottle, I will buy Louis Roederer NV, which is far tastier and more interesting, and I get my bubbles thrown in.

you need to move the cellar a few miles closer!