Very Disappointing Showings of Raveneau and Ramonet

Almost sounds like low level TCA–I would expect the Raveneau to show better, at least some nose for a 12.5 year old wine.

Not so amazing. I spend my money on white burgundy because I love it, and I don’t love wine from Oregon. There is no substitute for white burgundy. Just because I had two disappointing bottles last night doesn’t negate the many hundreds of white burgs I’ve loved, despite premox (last night’s wines were not premoxed). The point of my notes was not to flagellate the region. I’ve had disappointing bottles from each and every region around the world. If I rejected whole regions because I’m sometimes disappointed, I’d have nothing left to drink.

I love champagne, too. I spend some of my money on that as well. It’s an “and” not an “or.” I drink it often - but I don’t drink champagne when what I want is white burgundy.

As for Oregon chardonnay, despite the efforts of many Portland friends, I’ve never had one I’d spend my money on.

It is certainly a possibility I’d considered. I would have expected low level TCA to become more and more evident with air, but sometimes that doesn’t happen. No way of knowing.

I think you should just trust your judgement. I’ve had too many disappointing bottles from Raveneau, such that, I’m glad I don’t chase them especially at current prices. I have a pet theory that the house style doesn’t work as well with climate change. In any event, a shame, since many of the best bottles of white wine I’ve ever had were Raveneau. The cellar at Hostellerie Des Clos was a source for many of these back in my formative years in the 90s.

I have not had so many disappointing bottles from Raveneau, thank goodness. I no longer chase them either, due to price, but I’m very glad that both of my husband and I, separately, accumulated them for years before they got stupid expensive. I have had many a wonderful old Raveneau at Hostellerie des Clos, once directly after a tasting at Raveneau. Good times.

White Burgandy has to be the lowest QPR of any region? It seems the vast majority of threads are either bad tasting notes or pox related.

I have had disappointing bottles of both wines from 2012 and 2014. They are ridiculously expensive to have bad experiences. In fact, I will never buy either one again.

Could be…but QPR isn’t the only priority. I’m not sure I’m great QPR either. But you’d have to ask Jonathan. :wink:

Napa Cab. By far.

But as much as I love White Burg, it’s not a QPR champion.

Agree, it should become more evident with air normally. I am in the same boat with some of the others. Raveneau just too expensive, so I don’t drink them any more (unless maybe I fly to France and do one there)…

But 2007 was a pretty dang good year, so I still register as surprised… 2007 Dauvissat Clos nearly shattered my jaw when it dropped on the floor… I am a little surprised that somebody has not suggested (or I missed it) that the wine is just not ready, still closed after all these years…

The vast majority of threads are neither bad tasting notes nor pox related, nor is the goal of drinking wine to achieve optimal QPR. If you’re amazed people still spend money on white Burgundy, perhaps you’ve never had white Burgundy.

Unfortunate for the ‘blah’ showing of both bottles when ‘special’ was expected. At least the asparagus and mushrooms came through.

I would be interested in hearing more about some of those “modest, food friendly, easy going wines” that you have enjoyed recently .

Me too! Right down the street. I was treated so well as a solo diner back then. At almost 9 francs to the dollar one Spring I was able to do some damage despite being a graduate student.

It’s about chasing the dragon. I don’t really bother anymore because my particular dragon, Leflaive Chevalier isn’t the wine it once was in addition to being stupid expensive.

Have you had subsequent wines that you enjoyed? Any chance it is virus related? I hope not! Would rather you just had an off bottle!

I buy very little of Napa Cab too but at least it’s not half bland and/or oxidized. pileon

Sure - here are my tasting notes from everything we opened in the first half of April:

Not virus - I’m tasting plenty of other complex, delicate wines and foods tasting wonderful. Thanks for the concern!

Sorry, the wines were not that good. Very surprised about the Ramonet. I have not had the Vergers, but I have had the 2014 Morgeot a couple of times and it has been stunning. I wonder if this was just an off bottle.

Hopefully, you will enjoy the other 2014 Ramonets you have.

I am amazed that people spend money on Oregon wines when they can buy Burgundy. I have not had any Oregon wines that I prefer to a good Bourgogne Blanc or Rouge.