Valle de Guadalupe, any recommendations?

Do you know anything about valle de Guadalupe (Mexican wine country)

My 26YO daughter and her BF are interested in going there. Anyone been? recommend any winery or nice hotels / restaurants?

TIA

1 Like

I’ve been 3 times and its wonderful. Still a young wine region, most wine are made and drank in Mexico. But that’s not without saying that the wineries are doing interesting things and that the wines have their own profile and style. There’s a lot of minerality and some degree of salinity. Goes great with meat dishes.

Easy to drive from San Diego to Tijuana and down 2 hours along the coast to Ensenada / Valle de Guadalupe.

There are some really fantastic restaurants with amazing architecture and super high level cookery.

Deckmans - restaurant is mostly outdoors on the vineyard, I believe everything is wood fired.
Fauna - amazing restaurant in the middle of nowhere. The building is gorgeous, food was amazing. I remember the squid ink tortillas with fresh scallop tacos.
Drive to Ensenada for street seafood tostados. Anthony Bourdain had an episode where he went there. Must like seafood to enjoy this.

Wineries:

Clos de Tres Cantos - we walked in and ended up tasting with the owner. He was a professor at a university in Mexico City and he was a lively man who enjoyed wine and talking. This was such a cool experience.

Vinos Lechuza - this was a cool place to do some tasting at. I don’t have notes on what we drank. But I do remember them saying that they had wines on the French Laundry wine list!

Las Nubes Bodegas - this was a beautiful estate with a super modern building. I believe most wines were an Italian varietal. I had brought home 3 or 4 wines. Think I still have 2 somewhere.

All in all, this is a very underrated wine region. Really awesome for California residents who want to try something other than Central Coast, Napa, etc.

I’ve tried a lot down there and was rarely disappointed.

Have fun!

2 Likes

Wow! thanks so much! I’ve passed on your thoughtful reply!

Just don’t go right now. Weird stuff going on in TJ

1 Like