UPS/FedEx

Salaries and benefits is #1

Fuel is #3

in 2020 Fedex had 66.8 Billion of operating expenses.

Salary/benefits = 25 B
Purchased tranportation = 17.5B
rental/landing fee - 3.7B
depreciation - 3.6B
Fuel - 3.2B
the rest are even smaller…

I"m not sure what purchased transportation is… but that seems expensive :smiley:

Depreciation is non-cash so throw that out. I assume purchased transportation is outsource to other carriers? Common or not?

Is landing fee the costs to dock, land at an airport, etc?

I would guess fuel as a % of gross revenue is way down in 2020. Both due to fuel cost being down, revenues exploding and they’ve probably increased their purchased transportation to keep up.

Yah fuel as a % of rev down 5.6% to 4.6%.

Essentially. It’s more than that, but it mostly means 3rd parties acting on FedEx behalf.

So… I have a shipment coming from Bedrock. For days it has said to be delivered Monday. Got a call from FedEx this morning saying it was coming today (Sunday). Okey doke. Answered their questions - yes I’m home today, and an adult to sign. Still nothing. Go online, now scheduled for Tuesday.

[Edit] I just looked closer. Said it tried to deliver at 9:52 and I wasn’t home. Da fuq!

I am so glad I picked the March ship date that Bedrock offered.

I’m almost to the point that any winery that uses FedEx, I’m dropping.

FedEx has really struggled in our area over the last few months

I have a case from Bedrock to ship on 12/14. FedEx notifies me that it will arrive on Saturday 12/18.
They don’t pick up the package until 12/16 so they notify me that the package will arrive on Wednesday, 12/23
They send me another notification on Thursday that the package will arrive on Monday, 12/21.
The send me another notification on Friday that the package will arrive on Sunday, 12/20. Wait, they deliver on Sunday?
I wake up this morning and there’s another notification saying that the package will arrive on Monday, 12/21.
12:45 today, Sunday, 12/20, knock on the door. Bedrock is here. The FedEx tracking site still says it will arrive tomorrow.

I never go through this kind of clown show with UPS. FedEx is ALWAYS like this.

Delivery service here in Tampa Florida of late has been flawless – both from UPS and FedEx. I think it has a lot to do with who you purchase from. Have been doing cold chain which is cost-efficient and really well done. Props to WineBid, JJ Buckley, Cayuse. Perhaps I’m living in an alternate universe? FYI – doesn’t hurt to treat your driver extra ni$e.

In my experience between the two, ups is better with on time delivery. Also has a lot to do where you live and their shipping centers

I only ship with UPS ground and GLS (used to be GSO). Both are dependable and mostly on time. GLS tends to be cheaper and maybe faster but only delivers to western states, although it looks like they are up to 8 states which is an improvement over years past.

FYI/Heads up: Two packages sent on 3/1. One via Fedex Ground, the other 2-day FedEx Express. Ground delivered yesterday, on time. 2-day, still in CA as of yesterday.

UPS:

5 cases of wine scheduled to be delivered Monday. Website says arrival from 1-5. Signature required.

I take out my trash at about 10:30 AM. There are 5 cases sitting in my driveway. Didn’t ring the doorbell. Didn’t verify that I was home or that I was of age. Didn’t even beep. How long had these been out there? In my driveway with snow melting everywhere! Just plain, lazy driver!

I’d complain to UPS but just try to find a way to do that

I sent an overnight letter FedEx two weeks ago on a Tuesday and it was delivered on Friday. Spent a day and a half in Oakland and a day in Memphis before moving on to Chicago.

My wife’s been tracking a FedEx shipment for work that’s been back and forth between both coasts twice so far. The shipper put the wrong city name in the address field but the package got all the way to a distro point 1/2 mile from the right place (a well known department store). Apparently it was stopped at that point and returned even though the name and street address portion were correct. The latest tracking shows it shipped again Friday 3/5 2-day express but now it’s showing it won’t be delivered until Thursday 3/11. FOUR business days and SIX. Calendar days. :rage:

I love the UPS “Follow My Delivery” feature. I haven’t figured out why I can use it on some of my packages and not others, and I wish FedEx had anything like it at all, but either way I have to say that it’s much better at telling you where your truck is at the moment than it is at estimating when the truck will arrive at your address. For example, today I have two packages (from two different senders) set to arrive. The truck locator shows that they are on the same truck (as they always are any time I have two UPS ground packages arriving on the same day), but the estimate for one is between 9:30am and 1:30pm today, and the estimate for the other is between 1:30 pm and 5:30 pm today. [scratch.gif]

I prefer UPS, both because the Track My Deliver feature, and because my driver is great - we’ve had a lot of quick chats, and he knows me so well that when he’s busy he’ll just ring the bell and leave my wine there without making me sign (my gf and I both work from home, so no danger of it sitting in the elements too long).

Fedex really needs to figure out their software. My friend and I (who live about 2 miles apart) both got notifications that our Bedrock allocation shipped on the exact same day. His came Thursday. Tracking said mine was supposed to come Friday (though all day yesterday it was at a distribution center 2 states away), then it said Saturday (today), but today it’s saying Monday (even though it says the package is on a truck for delivery today).

This exact thing has happened to me numerous times as well, very frustrating.