Up-and-coming small Barbaresco producers

Good luck with the up-and-coming and all of that, but unless/until they start growing new hills around Barbaresco you might find that your time/money is better spent exploring the producers that you already know more fully.

That’s a damn shame. I loved the Alutto 2009s and had really been looking forward to following this producer. More $200 wine with a Giacosa label isn’t nearly as exciting.

Hi Geir - WRT Olek’s prices, it’s basically an issue of having a tiny production and increased demand worldwide… He’s become quite the darling in the UK, HK and Australia such that I went from being his only importer to being put on an allocation. I’ve been able to hold prices constant on the last three vintages given that he’s increased his total production (dolcetto, barbera, grignolino, nebbiolo, base Barbaresco and Cru) from 12,000 to 14,000 bottles. The dozen cases of grignolino I have on a boat right now will be his last as he replanted that area in Roncagliette with nebbiolo.

Seeing what it takes Olek to produce his wines makes the Produttori wines all that much of a screaming deal year in and year out! In fact, Olek only has 1/3 of the family’s total property (La Berchialla) with his aunt/uncle selling the rest to the Produttori.

Best,
George

Does anyone know anything about Na Giurna? I really enjoyed their Barbaresco when I was there a few years ago. I know they were a very small producer, if I recall correctly only 150-200 cases annually. They have a very small website but it’s all in Italian and I haven’t been able to find anything else out about them.

Really?! What a pity! I understand he did a mess with the name of his winery (originally Ca’ du Rabaja) and was sued (I think by Bruno Rocca "Azienda Agricola Rabaja").
Perhaps this is why he needed money. He sold his 2010 much cheaper than the 2008.

Quite well known now, but Cantina del Pino seemed to be on a very fast upwards trajectory from only relatively recently making their own wine rather than selling grapes to the co-op (an awful description for P del B I know).

Birger Vejrum on other wine fora for a has a good nose for value, which perhaps falls more into ‘under the radar’ than ‘up and coming’. Places like Giuseppe Nada and Fratelli Grasso.

I also like Ca Nova in Barbaresco itself for value, though the name is deceptive - they’ve been around for many years.

Is F Nada up and coming or ‘comed’

Hi Sanjay
Fiorenzo Nada is a different (and you’re right, very much more famous) producer.
regards
Ian

Every De Forville Barbaresco I’ve had has tasted light and unassuming after release. All were very light in color as well, so I never put a lot of stock into them aging well as they just didn’t seem like they could go even a short distance.

Luckily I saved a few bottles of each vintage ('93/'95) and at 12-13 years of age they were simply gorgeous. Very pretty and aromatic on the nose with just the silkiest of fruit. Both times I was expecting over the hill wines and couldn’t believe how well they aged. An '83 Barbaresco at 30 years of age was also another stud.

And these were all the regular Barbaresco, not the Loreto.

Sounds exactly like my impression Marcarini when I first got interested in Barolo.

I think Cantina del Pino has been making wine for 15 years or more.

I had to unlearn everything I knew about color and quality when I started getting interested in Barolo.

I just saw a retail blast that described a Barbaresco as ‘blurple’ in color, intended positively; so I suppose the message hasn’t gotten all the way through the trade…

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Hi Oliver
That sounds about right.
I certainly have some of their 1998 Barbaresco Ovello (another story that one, my best auction success) and there may have been a vintage or two before that. Their initial trajectory was impressive - from a standing start they really ‘hit their straps’. I’ve not tasted recently, so they may have levelled out.

regards
Ian

Vacca is a pretty safe name in Barbaresco.

Sort of like throwing up a little in one’s mouth. That blurple there.

It’s been a while, but I bet you’re right.

Yes, though I often wonder if there was a difficult family meal when the announcement about the launch of Cantina del Pino was made [wow.gif]

Will add Giamello as a producer. I have their 2006 Barbaresco Vincenziana, that on release seemed pretty good.

Aldo once recommended I visit Renato, no bad blood there.