LeMarche: Lacrima di Morro d’Alba and Visciola
Piemonte: Freisa/Brachetto/Timarasso/Favorita/Arneis
AltoPiemonte: Nebbiolo & Vespolina & Croatina from Boca/Gattinara/Ghemme/Fara
AltoAdige: Lagrein and MoscatoRosa
Valtellina: Nebbiolo
Trentino: Teroldego/Marzemino
Val d’Aosta: Schiava/PetiteArvine
Friuli: Refosco/Tazzalenghe/Schioppettino/Vitovska/Glera/RibollaGialla

and I would scold Drew that these are not odd-ball wines…they can be world-class.
Tom

Skyrocketed? In five years, Chanrion Cote du Brouilly up to $20 from $15; Thivin Cote du Brouilly up to $22 from $17; Diochon Moulin a Vent up to $21 from $16; Breton Morgon up to $30 from $22; Lapierre Morgon up to $30 from $22; Thevenet Morgon up to $28 from $22; Foillard Morgon CdP up to $35 from $28. The wines are among the most versatile there is at the table and when well stored they keep and improve for decades.

The regions you know best. There are values virtually everywhere, including Burgundy, Bordeaux and the Piedmont, but you have to know producers and what appeals to you. By contrast, if you do not know a region you can pay a lot for wines you will not like, even in Germany and the Loire.

well, then

Also Cru Beaujolais. Prices on the best continue to be incredibly low considering their quality.

The Euro was $1.40 a few years ago - today it’s $1.00. Oh, and add 10%+ to all of your retail prices for most of the nation outside of New York and LA. Even at your numbers - that’s a 30% increase in pricing aside from the dollar exchange.

This is Gamay from sites with higher than Burgundy yields. Many are reaching Beaune & Cote d’Or village wine prices -

Austria. Italian whites. Spanish whites.

Huh? You paint all of California with a Napa Cult Cab brush? Um, once you get away from the biggest names…

Or, as Howard said “The regions you know best. There are values virtually everywhere…”

Perhaps what will happen is that Bordeaux, Burgundy & Napa will see prices return to normalcy…

The prices seriously picked in 2011 (the so called Chinese red obsession) but have been dropping since. Liv-ex https://www.liv-ex.com 100 index which tracks the pricing of the top wines of the world (which is almost entirely Bordeaux and a little burgundy) used to be 360 points now its 237.

I’ve heard big things about the Liv-Ex wine region. Rumor is Parker is dropping a few 100 point scores on some wines coming out of their. Time to get in on the ground floor.

Even if one accepts your skyrocketing prices assertion, the prices remain exceedingly fair and reasonable. Please tell me where I can find good village Burgundy, north or south, for $20.

Of course there are undervalued producers in all regions, but the OP asked for a region as a whole the way I understand it. Few like Burgundy more than me, but nothing touches Beaujolais for value IMO, “skyrocketing” prices or not.

Loire Chenin Blanc to me is easily the most undervalued/-priced thing in wine, while reds from the likes of Baudry command ridiculously low prices too. Also in grower Champagne there are still massive values to be found, although some the more established producers have obviously gotten quite expensive.

I’ve heard big things about the Liv-Ex wine region. Rumor is Parker is dropping a few 100 point scores on some wines coming out of their. Time to get in on the ground floor.

That could be a good idea… But seriously, from an economic standpoint it’s mostly about supply and demand. In very very fine wine the supply cannot increase to meet the demand - so the only way to bridge the demand/supply is by price. It’s the Chinese demand that fueled a lot of the demand in the last decade.

I predicted (and was wrong) a few months ago that Bordeaux prices will fall because of the last Chinese market crash, that hasn’t happened - (yet).

http://winecrasher.com/Top-Bordeaux-prices-may-be-coming-down-soon_b_17.html

An Italian perspective:

• Carema and Donnas nebbiolos
  • Dogliani
  • Timorasso whites from Tortona
  • Sardinian Cannonau (especially from Mamoiada)
  • Vermentinos from Sardinia
  • Verdicchio (Matelica and Jesi)

This. You can get a Grand Puy Lacoste from an average for $50, or a Sociando Mallet from a great year for $50, an off year for $35. All those wines are IMO significantly better value than Foillard for $35 (and I am a Foillard fan).

This also goes to Scott’s question about wanting tips on undervalued regions that are as good as the top level wines. Foillard can compete with certain premier cru burgundies in a particular kind of style, but it will never be grand cru. It’s a good wine but there is a ceiling unless you are very fond of the style, in which case it’s the wine to scratch that itch.

Re wines that are competitive with high level Napa Cabs but for a lower price, I’m surprised no one has mentioned Australian wines. Those are in a similar ‘big wine’ style and price has dropped a lot.

Haha. Nicely done!

As an oddball, I take offense that you would consider the term an insult! :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW, I expected you to swing by and give us some great details on Italian “eccentrics”.

+1

Cru Beaujolais
Loire (agree with Muscadet)
Austria
Mount Etna
Chablis
Germany
Piemonte

Alto Adige/Sud Tirol as noted by others; ditto Austria in general, Loire, Chianti.

Burgenland