Undervalued wine regions?

Náoussa
Santorini
Ribeira Sacra
Bierzo
Taurasi
Greco di tufo
Muscadet

Yes. Anderson Valley, the deep end specifically.

I personally feel that Portugal is stepping up and has very good wines at reasonable prices…

Oregon Pinot

There are a lot of great posts here, thanks. What I’m really curious about is places where you can find a truly superlative wine that is undervalued. I.e. where is the next great Bordeaux, or Grand Cru Burg, or top shelf Napa cab? But not at those prices? World class, ageable wines, that don’t have all the money pouring in to drive up prices? (at least not yet)

Cru Beaujolais?

While I love Cru Beaujolais, the prices have skyrocketed over the last few years. $35 a bargain? I can’t think of another category that has jumped up in price so much over the last few years. Well, maybe Germany.

For me -

LOIRE VALLEY Sauvignon Blanc - prices have really remained steady for top Sancerre and Pouilly Fume, not to mention surrounding areas.

LANGUEDOC-ROUSSILLON - Still the greatest red and white values out of France.

RIBERA DEL DUERO - Lots of designer labels coming out of this region, but there is still a whole lot of great bargains as well.

SHERRY - I remember Hugh Johnson in his old ‘Encyclopedia of Wine’ stating that Fino Sherry was the world’s most undervalued wine. I agree.

PETITE CHATEAUX - Again, most people focus on the classified growths, but there is a huge amount of great Bordeaux coming out of the ‘lesser’ districts like the Cotes de Castillon, Lalande de Pomerol, the St Emilion satellites, the Medoc and the Haut-Medoc.

Taurasi

There are a lot of great posts here, thanks. What I’m really curious about is places where you can find a truly superlative wine that is undervalued. I.e. where is the next great Bordeaux, or Grand Cru Burg, or top shelf Napa cab? But not at those prices? World class, ageable wines, that don’t have all the money pouring in to drive up prices? (at least not yet)

One can still get good value even in places like Bordeaux and Napa, but it’s getting harder…

But every region is different so I’m not sure if there’s going to be a new Burgundy or Bordeaux in our lifetime… Similar there isn’t going to be a new New York or Paris in our lifetime either…

A new Napa can happen, though

Mendoza

Temecula.

It’s been said before…but Chablis.

St.-Aubin

I’d rather look at varieties . . .

Grenache and Mourvèdre

Cheers

Cru Beaujolais (while some are creeping up in price producers like Bouland and Clos Roilette are making seriously age-worthy wines for a tiny tarrif)
Muscadet (from a handful of producers)
A few northern Rhone producers (e.g. Levet)
Loire (pretty much everyone except Clos Rougeard and Joly’s wines)
Topped-up Jura Chardonnay (Ganevat and Tissot still a lot cheaper than Cote d’Or alternatives)
Chablis (at least in the UK allocation prices wines like Raveneau and Dauvissat are really cheap)
Plenty of addresses in the Southern Rhone and Provence
Lots of things in Piemonte
Pepe and Valentini in Abruzzo
Pretty much any top German wine

Those are some of the obvious choices…

1 Like

Where the really expensive AV Pinots come from. I’m sorry, Kisers and Bearwallow may be really good, but they’re only undervalued in Bizarro World.

Alsace.

Amazing quality from top producers and Grand Cru sites at remarkable prices.

Champagne
Barolo
N. Rhone

One day, maybe, China and modestly-priced sparkling wine from England.

When I lived in the Balkans, I found Croatian and Slovenian wines very good and usually good values. With that said, wines from Tikveš in Macedonia (Bovin), Naoussa in northern Greece (a lot of unpronounceable ones), and Villány in southern Hungary (Tiffan, Malatinszky for instance) were my go-to wines. I would actually buy wines in bulk at the Hungarian Wine Society and drive them back home to Kosovo. It was an incredible value. I wish they had more distribution in the US.

k.

Excellent choices, but some are rather dubious values, especially Valentini’s Montepulciano pushing $300, Ganevat’s at $75 or so… Perhaps these are unknown to the general hoi polloi, but I think they are being valued fairly right now.

I would love to throw a bottle of Villány from a top producer like Bock or Gere Attila as a ringer in a Bordeaux tasting. I think that once you get away from the biggest names in France, great value is to be had. In CA, some who has made big bucks in another endeavor pays top dollar for a great piece of property, hires excellent consultants to make wine that gets high scores and once they get the high scores, they listen to their accountant or the big ego that they brought with them and the resultant wine is in the $200 plus range. A lot of excellent wines made in France by similar people and they charge prices in line for the region which makes them worth seeking out.