UGCB / Bordeaux 2021 / about 50 wines tasted

Yesterday the Union Grand Cru Bordeaux gave me the opportunity to taste a lot of 2021 Bordeaux in Zürich. Thanks for this. I traveled with Panos as in former years so maybe he will share his impressions with the Wineberserkers. Some comments first.

Tasted wines, red …

Medoc: La Tour de By, Lamarque, La Lagune, Cantemerle, Belgrave, Chasse Spleen, Poujeaux, Fourcas Dupre, Clarke.

St. Estephe: Phelan Segur, Les Ormes de Pez.

Margaux: Brane Cantenac, Angludet, Giscours, Kirwan, Marquis de Terme, Lascombes.

Pauillac: Batailley, Clerc Milon, Haut Batailley, Gran Puy Ducasse, Lynch Bages, ´d Armailhac.

St. Julien: Talbot, St. Pierre, Gloria, Lagrange, Leoville Poyferre, Leoville Barton, Gruaud Larose, Branaire.

Pessac: Domaine de Chevalier, Carbonnieux, Pape Clement, Malartic Lagraviere, Fieuzal.

St. Emilion: La Dominique, Pavie Macquin, Larcis Ducasse, Clos Fourtet, Canon la Gaffeliere.

Pomerol: Petit Village, Beauregard, Le Gay, Clinet, Rouget, Gazin.

Sure, there were more wines than I was able to taste. But time was limited and I would not be the fastest taster in town. Or should I say I cannot be the fastest? Maybe both.

What wondered me is the fact that several big labels were not present in Zurich such as Pichon Lalande, Pichon Baron, GPL, Les Carmes Haut Brion and Canon. For wether reason I do not know. It would have been beneficial to see what these Chateaux were able to achieve in a year like 2021.

As probably most of the interested wine lovers already know: 2021 is very different in style than the surrounding vintages 2019, 2020 and 2022. Some may say it is a so called “classic” year resembling wines from the past (the good old days for some :-). But in fact most of the honest people said it was a very challenging vintage for various reasons. A circumstance from many critics widely explained. It is pretty likely that the vintage would have been a disaster without modern and advanced techniques at work today.

Not all Chateaux could cover the challenges 2021 offered them. This came to light when wines had a distinct herbal aspect in the nose, a somewhat fragile body, a whole at the mid palate and/or some aggressive, bitter tannins in the finish. But it is fair to say that in my early years as a wine lover I did taste wines from vintages like 1984, 1987, 1991, 1992, 1993 i.e. that were a lot worse than was presented in 2021. This demonstrates the progress Bordeaux as a whole has made over the years.

I had the feeling the red wines had a slightly higher temperature when served as normal. This was beneficial to the wines because at a lower temperature the alcohol will not be so obvious and at a higher temperature the acid will be smoother. If this was by accident or intended is something I do not know. But the effect was there.

When I tasted Bordeaux from top years my tasting glass was stained with extract from the concentrated wines very soon. Not so this time. And that was a very good sign because I saw it as the proof that the Chateaux did not try to make more of the juice than possible. The extractions were carefully done in most of the cases and the best wines showed elegance without being diluted.

Most of the wines showed a red fruit profile. In the best cases I had the impression of candied cherries, often combined with a hint of yeast and bread crust. I liked the fact that the oak was well integrated though the body of the wines are anything but fat. A “fat” wine will hardly be found in the 2021 vintage. That is good news for those who seek for restraint and moderation. But this will not be a vintage for people who ask for a dose of hedonism in their glass.

Not surprising the best wines I tasted were mainly the ones with a higher price in the market. That fits the old formula “buy lesser wines in great years and the big names in weaker vintages”. The top Chateau have the money and the terroir to make something good even when the conditions are challenging. But as always – there are a few exceptions.

If I should describe the style of the vintage in a few words I would say: Expect in the better wines a relative light body with good transparency, red fruit profiles, not much power and a medium long aftertaste. Something for near term and medium term consumption. So exactly the opposite of a year like 2018.

In the following I will only speak about some standouts:

Leoville Barton.
It is always interesting to compare the Barton with the Poyferre. This year it was not only a difference in style but in quality IMO. The Barton is clearly superior. This wine excelled my expectations. It was certainly among the best wines of the tasting if not the best one.

Domaine de Chevalier.
In a blind tasting I never would have come to the idea that this wine emerged from a relativ bad vintage. It actually has charm and I loved it. I did not look for the price so far but maybe I buy a few bottles for my cellar.

Brane Cantenac.
This was clearly the best of the Margaux wines. No surprise because the Chateau can compete with the top wines of the area in most vintages. It stood out because it even has some complexity that is quite unusual for wines from 21 and something only could be said about the best versions of this year.

Gloria.
Again the wines of St. Julien did stand out because almost every wine I tasted was very well made. The winner from a QPR perspective is again Gloria. While not as good as the Barton it is a very good wine anyway and cheaper. The same could be said about the Branaire.

Larcis Ducasse.
The St. Emilion were a pretty mixed bag. Some of them had a hole on the mid palate and some aggressiv tannins at the end. Not so the Larcis Ducasse which was a very balanced wine with everything in just a little lighter format than usual. Very good indeed.

Clinet.
I seem to have a love affair with Clinet because I often rate this wine high when I have it. No exception this time. Unfortunately all the Pomerol are expensive compared to other Bordeaux. But this is a wine worth buying if money is no issue. BTW. It was often mentioned that Petite Village and Rouget got better lately. That is true. Both are fine.

La Lagune.
The Medoc Chateaux had hard times to manage the vintage obviously. La Lagune was the best of the ones I had the opportunity to taste. That is no surprise because this Chateau is able to compete with wines way more expensive.

Last but not least:
Due to the time limit I could only taste some white wines and all I can and will say: 2021 is a top vintage for them. You must only taste bottles such as Smith Haut Lafitte or Domaine de Chevalier to know that something special is in your glass. I guess many Chateaux produced whites well worth tasting and buying. Taste them whenever you have the chance.

Thanks for reading.

20 Likes

Great notes, thanks for sharing. It’s nice to hear your take on Brane Cantenac; I ordered a few bottles when offers 15% below EP started coming out. That, along with Leoville Barton, LCHB and Montrose (also below EP) were my only purchases… but it sounds like there will be some gems to buy and in a markedly different profile than '15 - '20. It’s good to have wines in the cellar that reflect different aspects of a region - especially if the price is good.

Thanks for the notes. I have a little bit of Brane and Giscours on order. Any impressions of the latter?

I was a the tasting too.

It’s a highly mediocre vintage. There is not enough substance, many wines seem simple and especially on the left bank, the balance was a bit off (too much acidity, too much herbal notes, not enough fruit… and some showed greenness and drying tannins). I believe that the 2017s were and are superior to the 2021s (more elegant and balanced). We all know the steep prices of the 2021, and hence you don’t have to chase them (they will likely only become cheaper over the next few years).

Best wine (93/94pts): Valandraud (beautiful fruit core, tobacco, minerality and well balanced, good weight and texture).

Other notable wines (91/92pts): Poyferre (usually not a big fan as it is too ripe and opulent, in this vintage that works), Clinet (see Poyferre comment), Lynch Bages (superb precision and freshness), Brane Cantenac (as always, Brane delivers - charming, round and blanced although a bit simple)

Below expectations (90pts or below): Barton (I can’t agree with Juergen’s assessment, I’m usually a big fan but this was a bit green and harsh), Gazin (never a big fan, thought it might work in this cooler vintage but balance was off), Domaine de Chevalier (quite simple and a bit drying), Smith Haut Lafitte (a bit simple and very slightly drying).

The very best wine of the day? Guiraud 2016 (96pts). I’m a huge fan of the 2016s Sauternes. They’re so light and airy, so fresh and without any excess weight, their not as sweet as more lauded vintages (09/15) and have a purity that is exceptional with the finest saffron botrytis notes you can imagine. This Guiraud is no exception.

2 Likes

Hank,

on this specific day the Giscours performed not that well IMO. My note: transparent color, herbal in the nose, rather light body, tannins do dominate the the finish. Difficult to score.

The thing is, while IMO, 2021 is not at the same level as you find in 22, 20, 19, 18, 16, etc, as a style, it works for a lot of people on this board, and in Europe that do not like the riper, lusher, more powerful, alcoholic vintages. Fans of 14, 17, etc, will enjoy the wines.

2 Likes

Thanks so much, Jurgen (and Andy) for your thoughtful and thorough impressions, very much appreciated. Panos–hope you will pop on to add your notes as well.

Skal

Mike

1 Like

When comparisons are made with other recent vintages, it is hard to forget how incredibly expensive 2021 was. I always thought it slightly cynical, as it was pretty obvious at the time that it was a placeholder so that they could price 2022 using a higher base and not look greedy.

It didn’t quite work out, because although the 2022s enjoyed a stronger primeur campaign than 2021, it wan’t the blockbuster they had hoped for, and they now have to deal with unsold overpriced stocks of 2021s.

I suspect we will see some dumping in the near future.

4 Likes

I wouldn‘t advertise it to fans of 2014 (which is much more structured and classic) and 2017 (which is much more elegant and less green-ish).

1 Like

Marc,

I have not tasted Carbonnieux blanc but it would be a big surprise if it is not very good. I tasted the red and it was an o.k. 2021 IMO.

Panos told me he tasted a lot of whites. I think he can help. Maybe Andy too.

Was the Carbonnieux blanc poured and did you have a chance to try it?

I do not agree. It’s not about comparing vintages. It’s about understanding people’s taste. Folks that like and prefer lower alcohol, more acidity and brighter fruits will tend to like 14, 17, 11, 02 etc, and yes, 2021.

I will explain why I preferred Barton (while Poyferre is certainly among the good wines). Poyferre coated the mouth with (oak)tannins more than Barton and I do not think this is beneficial in 2021. Furthermore the Poyferre had an odd sweet attack that reminds me a bit on a hint of overripeness. Certainly a different approach of winemaking but not fitting to the vintage IMHO.

Different taste and no big deal. I can imagine why some people like the Poyferre more than the Barton.

2 Likes

Thanks for all of the notes. I think the UGC will be visiting in San Francisco in January, and that is always a fun and educational evening for us.

1 Like

Thanks for all the notes!

Nice summary, Jürgen! One with which I agree. Indeed some wines including Domaine de Chevalier and especially Leoville Barton and Brane Cantenac transcend the vintage.

Hear a summary that I had posted in wine review online yesterday :

The recently bottled 2021 vintage from Bordeaux is “very demanding” remarked friend and (very) experienced taster Jürgen Steinke while tasting many recently bottled red wines. Barrel aging has filled out some palates, but many wines lack excitement. Whether one encounters underripe tannin, middling mid palates or short finishes, the wines often lack the caliber of the solid if not amazing 2017 vintage and the verve of the more interesting 2014.

The hype for the vintage when tasted from barrel was that it was a lower alcohol vintage, which is to say—about as far away as one could get from the more frequent hot, dry, and concentrated wines in 2022 and 2018 especially. These vintages reflect global warming, crafted from thick-skinned tiny grapes that pack punch – and high potential alcohol. But as the adage goes, “It’s all about balance.” And just as you can have imbalanced high alcohol wines, you can have boring, low alcohol (for the modern era) wines.

When I wrote about the barrel tastings for Club Oenologique in April last year, I recommended that buyers should look to the whites – a notion reinforced by a comprehensive tasting organized by the UGCB in Zurich, Switzerland earlier this month. The UGCB or Union de Grands Crus de Bordeaux covers many appellations with both red and dry and sweet white wines, permitting tasters to get a bird’s eye view of this latest bottled vintage. It is a pity that the selection in Zurich didn’t include the two Pichons of Pauillac, La Conseillante in Pomerol, Rauzan Segla in Margaux and Canon in Saint Emilion, among others. Readers should know that the First Growths and estates like Montrose, Cos d’Estournel, Calon Ségur and other top wines from the Right Bank such as Ausone, Cheval Blanc, Petrus, Lafleur, Trotanoy, Lafleur Petrus, Eglise Clinet and Vieux Château Certan are not part of the UGCB.

Nonetheless, many classified growths were included in Zurich, and the better reds tend to come from top terroirs. As the French say: Petit millésime, grand vin, which means that if you have a challenging vintage, go for the top wines. The better reds achieved a certain 1997-like charm by not trying too hard to be a Rolls Royce in a Honda vintage. As Peer Pfeiffer of Borie Manoux (which counts the venerable Château Batailley of Pauillac in its stable) said, “We accept the limits of the vintage; it’s 2021, ok?” Such frank remarks are more welcome. Château Batailley was indeed solid, but if you look at winesearcher.com and compare pricing between the truly excellent 2020 vintage of Château Batailley and the 2021, the 2021 is shown as having an average price of $60 while the 2020 is $55! As the saying goes, the choice is a no-brainer.

Having said all that, a few of the wines I tasted in Zurich transcended vintage character, and – as can happen in off vintages – proved to be remarkably good. If you buy any 2021 reds, do not miss the elegant and refined Château Brane Cantenac, an estate in Margaux that has been improving in recent years, and the performance in a challenging vintage proves just how good this wine can be. It is a classified growth, a second growth, so the pedigree is there. In Pauillac, I liked the suave expressions of Château Haut Batailley. In Saint Estèphe, Château Phélan Ségur was very good: smooth yet grippy tannin and a longer than average finish. Saint Julien proved to be the most consistent appellation of the vintage, which is not such a surprise, given its concentration of high level, second growth wines. So, you cannot miss with charming Château Branaire-Ducru, a solid Château Gruaud Larose and a flashy and appealing (if someone downbeat—which is the vintage character) Château Léoville Poyferré. The cherry cakes in 2021 however go to Château Léoville Barton, which displays unusual concentration, grace, and tannic power. Indeed, even the price is right: the 2021 Barton costs $79 on average according to winesearcher, as opposed to $117 for the 2020 and $104 (futures price) for the 2022. If your child or niece or nephew has a 2021 birthdate, why not?

On the Right Bank, I really like the cool and fresh expressions with concentration coming from both Château Clos Fourtet and Château Larcis Ducasse, both Saint-Émilion Premier Grands Crus Classés. Château Trottevieille, another Premier, also proved delicious, displaying much minty freshness. But in many cases, the vintage again suffers coming after the superior 2020. While visiting two excellent Saint-Émilion Grands Crus Classés this month, at Château de Ferrand and Château Laroque, the 2021s proved veritably boring next to the superlative 2020s. While the 2020 de Ferrand costs $35, the 2021 is listed at $40! At least the 2020 Laroque average price makes more sense: it costs on average about $40 compared to the 2021, at $32.

But 2021 should be mainly known as a vintage that reminds us how Bordeaux produces excellent dry whites. Even if I tasted about a dozen in Zurich, they were collectively better than the reds. Quite simply, I had more emotionally positive reactions to the dry whites showcased in Zurich than I did for the reds. For example, any wine lover would be silly not to purchase Château Bouscaut 2021 white, which has nuance, vivacity, depth, and tangy flavor, and worth the $50 price tag. And for only about $20, Château Chantegrive Cuvée Caroline of the Graves appellation is tangy and fun and would go with your fish and seafood like a charm, and is an ideal choice if on the wine list at a restaurant. The more expensive whites excelled, too. Château Pape Clément was in its usual ostentatious style, but with verve and grip. Domaine de Chevalier was also excellent, very wet stone in expression. Unsung heroes from Pessac-Léognan, like Château de France, crafted a smooth and vivacious dry white.

In short: Look to the whites when thinking of Bordeaux 2021.

11 Likes

Big, big thanks for cross-posting your thoughts over here, Panos. Always appreciated!

1 Like

I tasted the wines in Zurich. A vintage very different from the surrounding years as probably everybody already know. The old saying is very true. Buy lesser wines in top vintages and top wines in lesser vintages. The best wines in 2021 are whites IMO.

My impressions