Type of Riedel glass this is?

At goodwill (secondhand store in the States) I found this an hour ago - I noticed its rainbow shine around the base and lightness and thinness all standing above the other thick glassware there, then saw it was a riedel. I know they have a ton of different ones for different varietals which sounds kind of jive, but I was still curious if anyone knows what kind this is? I couldn’t tell if it’s an all purpose or a white. I’ll probably use it for most anything (unless someone wants to persuade me otherwise) and thought it feels quite nice.

Wow, how happy I look to have found this.

Looks like a champagne flute.

I haven’t followed the Riedel line in a very long time, but I think it may be one of their Syrah glasses.

2 Likes

Ah okay, surprising, seemed as if for a white. Do you think a bordeaux or other red in this really would be noticeably affecting?

1 Like

I think it would be fine with just about anything. It’s just a little narrower at the top than the Bordeaux glasses.

1 Like

I also think it’s they Syrah, Sommeliers Series from years ago. I’ve got two, look just like that one you are holding.

Ah okay, I haven’t found that yet. I think it may be this sauvignon blanc

https://www.riedel.com/en-ie/shop/performance/sauvignon-blanc-688400033

I’ve heard a good bordeaux glass can make a difference in allowing it to open up - I wonder now if this would be better than the bordeaux glass I do have since it’s much thinner and a better material. But I assume it’s more about the bowl making the difference for aromas to be expressed. Maybe I’ll try both.

I’ve found, over time, the key to a good high-quality wine glass is that it has an opening at only one end. Enjoy!

1 Like

look here.

One way to limit the glasses you need to search is looking at the base how is the Riedel printed. For Sommelier the Riedel is in Script while for Vinum the Riedel wording is in block letters (similar to Courier on a typewriter). I think for the least expensive Reidel’s at one time the printing on the base was a block “R”

1 Like

The Sommelier Syrah glass was called Hermitage, can Google it.

-Al

1 Like

I’ve got two - rarely use them - and they look really similar to the ones in the OP.

I’ve got one and I never use it. Beautiful stem, though.

-Al

1 Like

I have the Sommelier Syrah and that is what it looks like to me. Hard to tell scale from the photo tho. I quite like that stem but rarely use it these days opting for more universal and lighter stemware currently.

1 Like