Turley - Casa Nuestra

Recent Turley order arrived this week, and I ordered one of the new Casa Nuestra wines. Has anyone tasted this wine yet? Any thoughts on this one? Similar to any other Turleys or other zins?

PS - personally find great value in quality (Turley, Bedrock, Carlisle, etc.) zins, but don’t tell the cab lovers :slight_smile:

Tried one the other night. Pop and pour, wife and I finished it on one night. Did not take notes but have a coule impressions.

Deep purple-garnet color, more so than most Turleys iirc. Kind of reminded me of a Ridge a little bit but with out their oak presence. Darker fruit flavorrs for a zin. Sensed a touch of tannin. Somewhat tightly wound at this point which is no big surprise for a new release. Going to go out on a limb, I think this one will age better than an average Turley. I usually drink them in the first couple years. Will try again next year and determine if the last one should go in long term storage.

Are you saying there is a Turley wine sourced from Casa Nuestra? Just looking for clarification. Casa Nuestra is a vineyard and winery in their own right. As is Turley.

The former: Turley Zin, Casa Nuestra Vineyard

Interesting. So we Cabernet lovers WERE just informed [wow.gif] . I don’t drink Zinfandel, but I do like to follow who is making what from which vineyards.

Here’s the copy:

We are thrilled to present the inaugural vintage of this wine under the Turley label. Connoisseurs of Napa Valley field blends will likely recognize the vineyard, made primarily under the eponymous label and farmed organically since 1979. For the formerly uninitiated, Casa Nuestra is nearly adjacent to the Turley Estate property in Napa Valley, just across the nearby Napa River. The vineyard is planted to a Mediterranean mix of Petite Syrah, Zinfandel, Alicante, Carignane, Napa Gamay, Negrette, Mourvedre, and Refosco, with a bit of Chenin Blanc for good measure.

Thank you! Since it is the first vintage of this collaboration, I don’t feel too badly that I did not know about it. “Nearly adjacent” is a stretch for me. I would not want to go from one property to the other across the river. Driving it? I would say they are 5 miles apart? I know the Turley family (kids went to school together and rode horses together). Familiar with CN, as I drive past it on my way to anywhere.

Isn’t the “Oakville Farmhouse Vineyard” from Bedrock the same site as the “Tinto Oakville Vineyard”, formerly owned by Casa Nuestra?

Bedrock Vineyards: Oakville Farmhouse

“The tiny Oakville Farmhouse, planted in the 1930s, is the oldest remaining vineyard in the appellation. Wedged within an ocean of tightly spaced Cabernet plantings, the diverse vineyard is a remnant of an older, and perhaps more interesting, Napa Valley. The vineyard is planted to an array of varieties including Negrette, Mondeuse, Zinfandel, Petite Sirah, Carignan, Colombard, Chenin Blanc, Semillon, Malvasia Bianca and more.”

Casa Nuestra Tinto Oakville

"This tiny vineyard, located outside the front door of the Kirkham’s family old summer cottage was planted to the traditional field mix by the Italian immigrant Tony Delazer some time in the 1920s. The field mix included eight different red varieties: Petit Sirah, Zinfandel, Carignan, Mourvèdre, Refosco, Alicante Bouschet, Napa Gamay and Négrette. The vines were the oldest in production in Oakville, predating the To-Kalon I-Block by at least twenty years.

“Our most popular wine since its first release, Tinto is an authentic Napa Valley field mix, a wine recipe planted in the ground. With the Oakville property sold a couple years ago, the few remaining vintages in our cellar are truly unique and rare wines.”

Is the newer St Helena vineyard, composed of vine material from the original Oakville vineyard, the source of this Turley wine?

Casa Nuestra Tinto Oakville Extra History Page

“In 1992, in anticipation of selling the Oakville property and to keep the history alive, we recreated the Tinto vineyard at Casa Nuestra by taking cuttings from the Oakville vines and T-budding them, vine by vine, to a portion of our existing vineyard in St. Helena. Wines from the cloned vineyard in St. Helena are labeled ‘Tinto St. Helena’, while wines from the original Oakville stand are labeled ‘Tinto Classico Oakville’.”

Casa Nuestra “St Helena Estate Vineyard”
download.jpeg
Turley “Casa Nuestra Vineyard”

“For the formerly uninitiated, Casa Nuestra is nearly adjacent to the Turley Estate property in Napa Valley, just across the nearby Napa River. The vineyard is planted to a Mediterranean mix of Petite Syrah, Zinfandel, Alicante, Carignane, Napa Gamay, Negrette, Mourvedre, and Refosco, with a bit of Chenin Blanc for good measure.”

Thanks all. I look forward to trying this in 3-4 years, unless tasting notes start appearing to PnP sooner. It sounds interesting.

I bought one bottle. Been wondering about this wine as well. Thanks for the post and the feedback.

Yes, it is. Oakville Farmhouse belonged to the Kirkham family prior to them selling it and made their “Tinto Oakville” wine. They took cuttings from the Oakville property and propagated it at their St. Helena property. I have been pretty excited about Turley working with the fruit since I heard it was happening- I opened a bottle a couple nights ago and was not disappointed, pretty cool and singular stuff.

Thanks for the heads up, Morgan!!

Who is farming the “Oakville Farmhouse Vineyard” now?

Though I have never tasted Casa Nuestra’s wines, the family’s efforts over the years to preserve a great piece of Napa history is admirable, CellarTracker TN’s be d@#ned. Matt Kramer sure liked their Chenin, however…

I think that Bedrock (“Oakville Farmhouse”) and Turley (“Casa Nuestra”) working with grapes from the respective locations will increase overall awareness of the respective vineyards. As for the quality of the finished products… :slight_smile:

We do.

Thanks MTP. Looks like I’ll be having a nice tasting pairing with the Turley Casa Nuestra and Bedrock Oakville Farmhouse.