Tuesday Night at Tr. Nostrani

Last night we decided to go to dinner at Trattoria Nostrani. We arrived for our 6pm reservation and were seated at our usual table. We started with a bottle of San Pellegrino while we were deciding on our first wine and our appetizers. We ordered a 2005 Marcarini Barbera d’Alba ‘Ciabot Camerano’ - bright spicy red fruit, with good acidity, and a medium long spicy fruit finish. It was quite tasty with our appetizers of Caprese - heirloom tomatoes, buffalo mozzarella, basil, and EVOO for Carollee; while I had an eggplant fritella - deep-fried eggplant rolls stuffed with a ricotta - aged provolone mixture on a bed of deep-fried zucchini.

For mid-course we both had a delightful foie gras flan with grilled peaches, very rich and flavorful and enjoyed with a 375ml bottle of 2005 Rôumiére-Lacoste Sauternes - light, not too sweet, just right for the rich flan and peaches.

Then for mains we shared a very nice prime 18oz rib-eye on sautéed zucchini with a very nice 1993 Serégo Aligheri Vaio Amaron - an Amarone sort of half-way between modern and traditional in style, and very good with the steak.

Finally for dessert Carollee had a cookie plate with an espresso, while I had their trio of semifreddos, vanilla, caramel, and chocolate. All was enjoyed with the end of the Sauternes and a couple glasses of a nice 2005 Antinori Vin Santo.

Dick, this sounds like a lovely meal. Am I doing the math right, though-- 2.5 bottles plus a couple of glasses of Vin Santo? I love the idea of it, but I’d be the smiley to the right… [drinkers.gif]

Years of practice, and we live less than two miles from there. And it was almost four hours of dining.

lightweight. [d_training.gif]