Tuesday Lunch Bunch (10/07) - mixed blancs...

Some of us got together for a nice lunch with mixed white wines as the summer is slowly exiting my part of the world :slight_smile:. A fabulous lunch with Seared Ahi Salad - Cellophane Noodle, Mint, Basil, Cilantro, Mangos, Tomatoes, Lime Serrano Chile Vinaigrette – Sea Scallops - Crispy Potato, Corn Pablano Cream, Arbol Salsa, Micro Greens – and a fabulous Salmon Roulade - Polenta, Lemon Herb Beurre Blanc, Arriabata Sauce, Mizuna. The food went perfectly with the wines…
Ahi Salad with wines.jpg
Scallop dish.jpg
2001 Domaine de Chevalier Blanc: Waxy minerality here through and through with a mouth filling steeliness that is really persistent. Touches of esters and bright tropical undertones - lovely. This was AOK for sure but got 5th and last place with 10 points. I’d like to sample this one again with food maybe - 5 years from now…

2009 Araujo Estate Sauvignon Blanc Eisele Vineyard: Fuzzy pears which really transitioned to the palate nicely with a fleshy personality. Herbal undertones and savory throughout, big palate, medium+ texture elements and fruit. This wine changed the most as it sat in the glass over the length of the lunch - every time I stuck my nose it the glass I smelled something different. A nice experience for me - liked. This wine got 4th place overall with 11 points.

2009 Edmond Vatan Sancerre Clos la NĂ©ore: I very much love this wine - it will age I think :slight_smile:. Great balance with 15% alcohol - balanced texture, touches of herbal grassy notes, orange rind, great acidity and balanced minerality with only just a slight touch of heat at the end - well done. Seemed to be the best balanced of the bunch for me and get 2nd place overall with 19 points.

2005 Domaine François Cotat (Paul & François) Sancerre La Grande Côte: Touches of tropical here and spiced honeysuckle - yummy! Smells clean and fresh with flashes of cold peaches and lovely levels of savory acidity. +slight botrytis also I think… 1st place overall with 23 points.

1993 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese: Yep - this is Riesling! Petrol, waxy pear fruit, cold apples, tangerine rind, refreshing and balanced showing. I liked this very much - 3rd place overall with 12 points.

Lovely showing for these wines and they went really well with the food! CHEERS

Good notes Jon, I’m in general agreement. Just noticed something from your picture of the bottles. Both “Bordeaux bottles” were at the bottom for “likes” in an admittedly very competitive SB lineup.
Cotat was a new wine for me and my WOTL.

Thanks for posting Jon. I don’t have much else to add. The lunch was great! I enjoyed both of the Sancerre a lot, giving the edge to the Cotat. Reluctantly, I have to admit there are a few good alternatives out there other than burgundy [bow.gif]

We’ll try and find a few nice bottles tomorrow night with dinner Roger!

Cotat’s Sancerre wines are the real deal.

I have some '04s that I have to find! Cotat should be a yearly buy for me :slight_smile:.

Meaning its only in the high 80’s!?! Looking forward to a month of “Lunch Bunch” when I arrive on Feb. 15.

Get ready for lots of oppressively sunny weather! We’ll break bread a few time inbetween :slight_smile:.

My kind of lunch, Jon.

The two Sancerres really out pointed the others, although there were probably no duds among the wines. I often select a Sancerre to accompany fish fare.

My mouth is watering to get back to the Lunch Bunch table, where the wines are well selected and the matching of courses with the wines is exceptional. We’re the wines serviced blind?

See you all in later November.

Hank [cheers.gif]

Jon, a couple of months ago I had an 02 Cotat that also was wonderful. I guess these wines just need time and then watch out.

You know you are living large when Domaine de Chevalier Blanc finishes last. Way to go.

Non-blind for sure Hank. We’re working on getting the upcoming themes worked out :slight_smile:.

That D.dChevalier Blanc was nice - just needed extra time in the glass!