Trying To Understand Palates on This Board . .

I don’t drink coffee every day. If it’s the first thing that goes into my stomach I’ll use half/half, Laird coffee stuff, Coffee Mate of various flavors, etc to prevent the feeling of acid burning a hole in my stomach that lasts at least half a day. Lattes with oat milk if they have it (I don’t do much dairy). Otherwise plain espresso, black coffee is fine. The Berserker Day coffees were awesome and I mostly drank those black.

I guess this is the WB Coffee Thread? My set-up is:

Grinder: Baratza Encore
Kettle: Stagg EKG Gooseneck Electric Kettle
Pour-Over Filter: Kalita Wave

I find the Kalita Wave brews coffee faster than a Chemex and also is easier to use than a Hario V60.

One drawback with the Kalita Wave is the coffee tends to be heavier and less delicate than a well-brewed coffee from a Hario V60 (especially if you are looking for a more tea-like brew).

But, when it’s early morning, the Kalita works for me and I don’t mind having the extra body.

1 Like

I’m having trouble with the poll’s baseline assumption that coffee and wine tastes are interrelated in any way. Are there data to support it?

2 Likes

speaking of affogato I had a variant new to me recently - instead of expresso it used cappucino which leaned in more on the the dessert end of things. It helped that it was good coffee and wonderful ice cream.

A 1986 article in Psychology Today.

it doesn’t appear to be cited in this thread. Do you have a link? (assuming someone scanned it in when, you know, scanning became a thing)

Neal,

There definitely are tendencies based on ‘taste buds’ and that’s what I’m trying to show - eventually . . .

Cheers

Sorry, that was an attempt to poke fun at the notion that vague coffee preferences have anything to do with taste in wine.

2 Likes

Those are two reasonable examples, and for Bordeaux it seems to work.

Dom Perignon, and also Bollinger where I do like the wines, produces a lot of wine, and checks all the boxes, but doesn’t come close to achieving what I feel the best smaller Champagne producers do. Moet, Veuve, Bollinger, and Roederer all produce very good high end wines that in general I liked better 25 years ago. But for the same or better quality, nuance, and terroir, I far prefer smaller houses like Agrapart, Doyard, Collin, and Larmandier-Bernier. Especially in a comparison of tete de cuvees.

And outside of coffee nerd-land, most people think that Peet’s and Stumptown are still good as well.

1 Like

Forgive me Larry, but just saying “there definitely are tendencies” doesn’t make it so or establish an empirical point of departure for this discussion.

4 Likes

That’s a very proper set up. Stagg EKG is key. I agree with you chemex - takes so bloody long, you have to use a chemex cozy to keep it warm.

2 Likes

Based on your answer, I suspect you like jazz, reading, and a broad style of champagnes, brut and dryer.

1 Like

I think this is actually where the poll is most useful. I find people that have gone down the rabbit hole with coffee invariably start to look to delicate, citrus, floral dominated brews with specific temps and times to not muddle the persimmon flavour into a yuzu one or something along those lines.

I like my coffee strong with malty, biscuity, chocolate, etc. flavours and for it to put more hair on my chest than the excessive amount already there. It’s a drug and if the drug’s good I’ll do it straight which is my preference but if it’s not good I’ll doctor it to be palatable. Either way I’m not all that fussed. I’d prefer it good (which to me is as above) but the drug is the drug. Excpet for truck stop warm brown water “coffee” that’s not a sufficient drug delivery device.

Well done! I like brut champagnes and dryers, and also champagnes drier than brut.

Based on your response to my response, I suspect you like Alfert, which is bizarre

1 Like

I am his mentor and life coach

I just mean that I don’t like Folgers etc. :blush:
I also like Bustello and use a cafetera for a Buchi.

1 Like

I am extremely pleased that I never fell down the coffee rabbit-hole.

I have a french press. I like robust coffee from one of our local roasters, usually with milk or h/h and some sugar. I generally prefer not to have fruit in my coffee, and most coffees that are described by the roaster as “citrusy” or the like are not my cup of, well, coffee.

I don’t think this has any connection to which wines I like, but Larry may know better

3 Likes

Below is the real coffee thread with lots of posts like yours. You may want to add there.

2 Likes

Which also accounts for my typos.

1 Like

A non-poll vote for with nothing but a tiny bit of milk/cream. Enjoy good coffee, but perfectly happy with slugging back a cup from the deli or coffee cart on the street.
download (1)

No sugar.

NO “flavors” Just no.