True Confessions

I thought that was reserved for people who put ketchup on hot dogs.

I wouldn’t be surprised. Still, that peanut butter and pickle sandwich had to be healthier than its predecessor, pillowy white bread spread with margarine and a layer of white sugar. And for a beverage, Sonny Boy, sugar syrup you mixed with water. Could anything be unhealthier? I’m lucky I made it out of the '50s.

I can remember my father scraping off the mold of something in the fridge, and then eating the “clean” stuff. I still gets skeeved out. How we survived was just by pure luck and …ah what the hell…it sure was a lot of fun growing up in the 50-60s…

Satay hamburgers.

Spam Musubi.

Velveta, Aniseed, red wine, etc spaghetti sauce.

Fondue cheese for mac and cheese.

Making chili but using all North African spices.

Corn, peas, potatoes, and a dab of truffle oil pizza.

Pasta with only lemon, olive oil, and finely grated mizithra cheese.

Peppercorns in a gin and tonic.

Deviled eggs with wasabi.

When I was a kid, sometimes we only had mustard in the fridge, so I actually like mustard sammiches. Just mustard.

In n Out fries.

I remember Herb Caen writing that Velveeta was in the gourmet food section in Chico markets. [wink.gif]

Not just in it, it was it!

I grew up in Reno. There, my mom told me the Kal Kan was “Mexican Food.” I thought the pig aortas were calamari.

You got Kal Kan? Lucky you. I think the stuff which couldn’t make the grade at Kal Kan got put into SPAM cans. SPAM was a staple of our camping trips.

Velveeta.

Hebrew National Knockwurst

Ruffles

Hellmans mayo

But I draw the line at mayonnaise on pastrami.

White Castle - not enough people agree as they all went under north of Columbus.

Warner Brothers cartoons

Oops

Easy Cheese and Ritz Crackers

Chocolate milk/Doritos pairing.

Stagg chili from a can over a boiled hot dog on a cheap bun. Kids like it…and so do I.

You heathens…where are the cheese and onions on top this? [thumbs-up.gif]

Ketchup on a roast beef sandwich isn’t bad. Or so I’m told…

Definitely: finely minced raw onion and shredded cheddar cheese.

When I was young a special treat was when my mom would buy a Pepperidge Farm frozen cake. I probably haven’t thought of it in 50 years but suddenly 2 months ago I had a craving for it. The image of the cake (golden cake with chocolate frosting) came into my mind and I couldn’t get rid of it.

I found it easily enough at Shop Rite but every time I looked at it I thought “don’t be ridiculous!” and passed it by. Today I gave in.

It’s just as bad as you’d expect it to be but, in its own weird way, quite wonderful. I feel like I’m 8 years old again.

[dance-clap.gif] Good for you, Jay !