Tried Your '19 White Burgs Lately?

I’m convinced that with the fullness of time, 2019 will be regarded as one of the great red Burgundy vintages. I liked the whites from barrel and bottle on release, and thought of it as a good, ripe vintage. Over the past few weeks, I’ve had a look at some 2019 whites, and they have been quite superb. The wines are ripe, but not excessively so. The thing that excites is the chalky/salty structures the wines are now showing and each wine below was beautifully balanced. Glad I put quite a few away in the cellar!

2019 Jean-Claude Ramonet Bouzeron: Drinking beautifully. A hint of minerally reduction. Some preserved lemon and spearmint too. Just enough flesh and a line of tangy citrus and mineral acidity. Beautifully balanced.

2019 Domaine de Montille Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières : This was fabulous. Perfectly ripe orchard fruits. Oozes minerality. Great shape and fruit intensity. Builds through the palate and has such great power and authority. The finish is complex and super salty.

2019 Jean-Marc Vincent Puligny-Montrachet Les Corvées des Vignes : Really tight but breathes in the glass. Pure white peach and lemon. Flinty mineral notes. Great line, with dense fruits. So much salt to the back end. Chalky and long.

2019 Jean-Marc Vincent Santenay Les Vignes Denses : In a really nice spot. Ripe yellow fruits trimmed with a little spice. Some smoky mineral. Good shape and unctuous through the mid. Plenty of chalky dry extract the the back end and a long finish with saline minerality a plenty.

2019 Bruno Lorenzon Mercurey 1er Cru Champs Martin Blanc : Complex aromatics of white peach, pineapple husk, custard apple and aniseed. Excellent palate weight and shape. Unctuous through the mid and cut with a line of minerally acidity. The long finish is all citrus and chalk. So much dry extract!

2019 Caroline Morey Chassagne-Montrachet Chambrées: Very much yellow fruited and ripe without being overblown. Plenty of spice and smoky mineral too. Silky and sensual of texture. Beautiful balance and so pure and elegant. The finish is fine and detailed. Lovely acidity.

2019 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Saint-Aubin 1er Cru Les Champlots Blanc : Quite tight at first, showing a bare whiff of smoky mineral reduction and aniseed spice. It breathes up beautifully and has notes of preserved lemon, white peach and citrus blossom. There’s flesh through the mid-palate and flavours are underpinned by a chalky base. The finish is fresh, minerally and persistent.

10 Likes

JM Vincent Beaurepaire Blanc I drank recently was shockingly good.

3 Likes

19 Lamy En Remilly was excellent over a few days last summer.

1 Like

Thanks for the notes. As a result of the Covid epidemic, I have tasted fewer 2019s than I ordinarily would have been able to do. There was no Paulee in NYC in 2021 and I did not visit Burgundy between 2018 and 2013. So, I have only tasted the 2019s I have bought, had at restaurants, etc., and have had virtually no whites from the vintage, and have not done any broader tasting of the vintage.

1 Like

Great notes, per usual. Bruno Lorenzon a new fave. Real value in the land of white burgundy.

3 Likes

19 whites are good to very good, but for me the vintage has been overshadowed for good reason by the truly spectacular 20. For red, however, I absolutely love 19.

1 Like

I also quite liked the 19s on release and have tried a few bottles from various producers lately. Of particular interest wines from Latour-Giraud. Dureuil-Janthial, and Tribut (all yearly purchases), all of which were excellent. Interestingly they were tasted against the equivalent 2020s and the 19s generally came out on top.

3 Likes

Great notes Jeremy, and I agree the few 19 whites that I’ve consumed from PYCM, H Boillot, Leflaive and Roulot have a wonderful saline infused, chalky texture that I love. I recently pulled a mixed case from storage of 19 Dauvissats and Boillots and am looking forward to working through them over the next 6 weeks.

Regarding 19 vs 20 it’s still early with few data points but so far the 20s seem riper and less chiseled than the 19s.

1 Like

Had the 19 Dauvissat Forest recently and it was stunning. Super chalky full of extract and chiseled. Needed about 3 hours to open up, so I would recommend a decant.

I may need to pop a 19 Raveneau Butteaux this summer in the name of science - I’m super tempted.

3 Likes

I have one on tap as well along with a 20. Just need to find the right time…

2 Likes

Ordered a 2019 Nicolas Rossignol Meursault ‘Narvaux’ at dinner this past Friday! Was thoroughly impressed. Some good, ripe fruit along with racing acidity. Lots of life ahead, but showed well young on the evening.

7 Likes

recently enjoyed Remi Jobard Poruzot. More delineated and pretty than 2020, but less concentrated/powerful.

3 Likes

I had the 2019 vaillons in Lyon and it was incredible. Somm told me he liked the 19s more than the 20s for their chiseled nature

2 Likes

I’ve heard this from a few folks with experienced palates. Everyone is on the 2020 hype train, and don’t get me wrong, I love 2020 and went deep on the vintage, but I don’t think it’s as cut and dry as some people think. 2019 is outstanding in many cases, especially in Chablis.

3 Likes

I have yet to try any 2020, red or white, that I preferred over its 2019 counterpart, including Beaujolais and Chablis. That’s not to say there aren’t wines like that, but without knowing more about a particular wine or producer, I would always choose the 19.

2 Likes

Thanks Jeremy. I sorta avoided 2019 whites for my son’s birthyear…time to wade in!

1 Like

A couple of more ‘19’s from this week. Both very good.

2019 Domaine Thomas Morey Chassagne-Montrachet 1er Cru Vide Bourse : Intense of fruit, with pure white peach, rockmelon and mango on the nose and in the mouth. It has flesh and shape and good minerally detail. It is a rich and powerful wine, but possesses the lightness of hand that all of Thomas’ wines have. It is quite saline on the very long finish.

2019 Pierre-Yves Colin-Morey Bourgogne-Aligoté : A nose of gunflint and lemon curd. The palate is intense and direct. It is loaded with citrus, is linear and finishes with a big puff of chalk.

5 Likes

Had ‘19 Leflaive Clavoillon and Enseigniers last night. Mind blowing great. Leflaive is on top again.

2 Likes
  • 2019 Domaine Henri Boillot Meursault 1er Cru Clos Richemont - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (5/17/2024)
    Decanted for 1 hour. Full yellow color. Beautiful nose, deep aromas of Meyer lemon, orchard fruits and flint. Full palate, layered with chiseled citrus fruit, lively acidity and a chalky drying finish. Excellent. (94 points)

Posted from CellarTracker

2 Likes

Agree on the 19 Clavoillon, had that one a few weeks ago and it was so good.

2 Likes