Travelling with Oysters

This may sound like a newbie question,

But I am grocery shopping for a weekend trip to VT. I am shopping thursday night as i’m leaving early am on friday. I want to bring oysters. If I buy them thursday (to eat saturday), what’s the best way to keep them and the best way to travel with them

Thanks

Styro cooler on ice.

Just make sure cooler isn’t a really tight seal so they don’t suffocate. Frozen gel packs might work too with less worry of a mess.

dry ice?

Summer oysters? Something about months with a ‘R’ isn’t there?

Oyster - Wikipedia" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wikipedia to the rescue…

“While technically an animal, the oyster is considered by some ethicists to be an appropriate food choice for vegans and vegetarians, arguing it is acceptable to eat oysters, because in the relevant ethical terms they are rather closer to plants than animals.”

Learn something new every day. HEY POPPY

Oysters are actually a lot tougher than people realize. Throw them in your glovebox and crack a window. They should be fine for the trip.

What Wikipedia fails to point out is that oysters spawn in the summer months, which negatively affects flavor and (particularly) texture. In addition, the odds of contamination with human pathogens (particularly Vibrio vulnificus) are much higher when the water is warm.

Robert, now you need to tell Zach about the ‘Birds and the Oysters’ so he’ll know what “spawning” means.

Glenn is right, no way I’d be eating summer oysters.

Stash them on ice in an igloo, then sit on it so you can see over the steering wheel.

I usually just travel with oysters by strolling down the beach, holding hands with them.

Julia Child had a wonderful reminiscence, IIRC her family lived in Ohio and in her grandmother’s day they would have BARRELS of oysters shipped out on the railroad as freight.

I don’t generally buy oysters from the fish store in the non-R months (as per Robert’s admonition) – but come SeptembeRRR I am back in business. OTOH I have learned that buying oysters in a good restaurant seems to be safe all year round, presumably because they have a buyer who tastes the goods.

By them local Maine is not that far away.

pretty isolated area in South Western, VT…

I might try to find some other goodies to bring. This whole summer oyster thing has me second guessing the plan!

Sally. Not all summer oysters are diapery.

Andy Jepeal talked me into it…we’re back on!

Hey Perry…

Get yer ass to VT this weekend!

NOT DRY ICE!!
Regular ice will do just fine.

You are so mean. [rofl.gif]

I just let the elderly get away with stuff like that! neener