Toscana wineries

We are going to Tuscany next summer. Looking for recommendations for wineries to visit. I am interested in smaller, family run wineries with personal attention rather than mass producers. We will have a car.
Thank you

Enjoyed Istine and Felsina on our last trip

1 Like

Where are you thinking about staying? That can have a bearing on suggestions, and especially if it offers you the opportunity to leave the car parked up, if only for an afternoon.

Will be there for almost two weeks. Flying to Florence and then heading to the hill towns - Montalcino, Montepulciano, San Gimignano etc. But main focus of this trip will be wine, so I can tailor itinerary based on what wineries I find.

Cool. Although itā€™s not really a wine town, Iā€™ll flag Lucca up as a charming walled town, but also as it has a super wine shop - enoteca Vanni, with cellar out back.

I donā€™t know Montalcino (the place, and barely know the wines to be fair), but did enjoy Montepulciano. A shame Politian apartments arenā€™t operating any more. as they would have been n easy recommendation, so Iā€™ll offer up a 2nd hand recco from a travel forum I post on https://www.santantonio.it/ as I recall it being a favourite of some posters there.

For wineries, two smaller / under the radar places:

Crociani, who have a tasting room (like many) in the town itself, but who seemed to treat us very well on the basis we made the effort to arrange an appointment. Very good Vino Nobile (IMO) but also a very good and fairly priced vin santo that controls the oxidation better than many Iā€™ve had (but Avignonesi remain the stars of vin santo production).

Daviddi, who are based out near stazione Montepulciano and to the rear of Poliziano. They very much fit the ā€˜family producerā€™ model you mentioned, and we found them exceptionally hospitable when we visited, including grabbing us some towels to dry off having got caught in the rain, saying we could stay as long as we wanted to dry off properly and dropping us off in the car at our next appointment. The sort of Italian hospitality you encounter off the tourist trail from time to time, but still shocks and amazes to be the recipient of it. Finally, the wines are very much under the (criticsā€™) radar, but they make a habit of holding vintages back, selling them there and also Iā€™ve found aged examples in Torino. They seem to age superbly given the examples weā€™ve drunk, and are fairly priced even the late releases.

Plenty of other good producers in and around Montepulciano, including Dei, Boscarelli etc. Indeed you could even spend a first morning cruising the drop-in tasting rooms, then organising visits at the wineries you liked for the following day(s). We didnā€™t visit Contucci but kind of regret that. They make a point of being open to visitors / tourists / direct sales, as an antidote to a distrust of critics. I think I got it in my head theyā€™d be a tourist trap, but the wines are definitely better than that, and tradition doesnā€™t go any further back than them in Montepulciano.

Highly recommend a visit to Fuligni. We also wanted to go to Le Ragnaie but couldnā€™t make it work.

Renzo Marinai in Panzano always impresses me.

Thanks Ian. I will definitely check out these places.

1 Like

It looks amazing, Marco. I will see if I can stay 1-2 nights in it. The scenery is unreal.

I have one BdM winery on my list Santa Giulia. Will add this one too. Thanks

The tasting is usually only 10-15 euros and is great. They really make some exceptional wines (and olive oil). Castello dei Rampolla, Gagliole, and Fontodi are all close by as well. Of those, I had a great experience at Castello dei Rampolla.

1 Like

Recommend Castellā€™in Villa.

1 Like

If you are looking for a very small family run wineryā€¦We absolutely loved Fattoria di Bagnolo in Impruneta (just south of Florence). We were staying in Impruneta and kind of stumbled upon itā€¦ Owner Giovanna is delightful and offered a great tour of the grounds and a great tastingā€¦We still order a couple of cases a year from them via email ordersā€¦

1 Like

Thank you

Angela Fronti @ Istine. Her single vineyard crus are beautiful. Her vermouth is one of the best Iā€™ve had in a loooong time. The vinery in on top of a hill above Radda, at the end of a dusty dirt trail. Very different from Antinori, ha ha.

1 Like

Iā€™m a little late to the party but if your itinerary isnā€™t full the following have been some of my favorites over the years

Castello di Ama - This is a must for the tour alone
Fontodi
Montenidoli
Definitely second the La Ragnaie rec
Casanova di Neri
Poggio di Sotto
Pieve Santa Restituta
Ciacci Piccolomini dā€™Aragona

Hey Kevin. Thanks! I am still working on my itinerary and dates. Probably gonna be early October.
I will definitely look into your recommendations. Nothing beats hills of Toscana. Paradise.

Here is my itinerary with a bit of pricing lines up close to Kevin I could not get into Ragnaie they were picking grapes. it is a must though. every one of Kevins are excellent

Monday, September 30, 2024
9.30 - pickup at the villa (https://maps.app.goo.gl/qV3BcnxExATvdCds8 itā€™s the villa on the left)
10.00 - visit & tasting @ Altesino (ā‚¬ 32 per person)
12.00 - stop in Montalcino for lunch at Drogheria Franci (order and pay a la carte)
15.00 - visit & tasting @ Uccelliera (ā‚¬ 35 pp)
16.30 - visit & tasting @ Le Chiuse (free with purchase)

18.30 - arrival back to the villa

Wednesday, October 2, 2024
9.30 - pickup at the villa

10.30 - visit & tasting @ Fontodi (ā‚¬ 20 pp)
12.30 - visit @ Castello di Volpaia (paid online)
14.00 - lunch at La Bottega di Volpaia (order and pay a la carte)
16.00 - visit & tasting @ Felsina (ā‚¬ 40 pp)

Thursday, October 3, 2024
9.30 - pickup at the villa

10.15/10.30 - visit & tasting @ Sancarlo (free with purchase)
12.30 - visit @ Ciacci Piccolomini dā€™Aragona with a food and wine pairing of cheese, cold cuts, bruschetta and dessert (ā‚¬ 50 per person)
15.30 - visit & tasting @ Casanova di Neri (paid online)

RATE ==
ā‚¬ 1.000 per each day of tour

TOT ā‚¬ 3.000 + 5% = 3.150
630 already paid on January 30th
Balance of ā‚¬ 2.520 will be automatically charged on August 30th (Please be sure to accept international charges from ā€œLuxury Wild sncā€, the legal name of our company)

1 Like

Wow Mitch. You should sell this itinerary :slight_smile:
What type of tasting you did at Casanova? On their website they have multiple offerings, some going up to thousand+ euro.

Its a must tasting because of the wines and the history. They said I can pick any tasting i want within 48 hours of arrival. The 2019 Brunellos are going to be stunning.