Toronto Recommendations Request

I’m looking for recommendations of what to see and do for a college aged (drinking age) visitor to Toronto. My step-daughter is going with friends this coming weekend and they would be more interested in places that are cool and cheap than a Michelin star experience.

Thank you in advance.

Without a doubt, send them to 416 Snack Bar. No resos, no utensils, great vibe, great food, plenty of wine, cocktails, beer, etc. Quite a small place.

Montgomery’s and Paris Paris are also good choices.

Kensington Market is good to walk around. Plenty of great food there - Seven Lives for tacos, San Cosme for tortas, in particular. There’s a brewery and cafes and bars there also. It’s also on the edge of Chinatown.

Outdoor skating is available at City Hall. They can rent skates when they’re there. The new Bentway Skate Trail is open also, but I don’t think there’s a place to rent skates yet.

For just cocktails, scotch, bourbon, etc, Rush Lane is great. Henrietta Lane is another option, which is near the Distillery District if they are in that neighbourhood.

If there’s looking for bars to go out to, there are options on King West (which I loathe), or Ossington, which has plenty of bars and restaurants, some with live music, such as the Dakota Tavern.

The Art Gallery of Ontario and Royal Ontario Museum are alright, with my preference for the former. Ripley’s Aquarium is at the base of the CN Tower. While it’s nice, it doesn’t compare to the Shedd, IMO.

If they want to drop a lot of dime, they can go to the top of the CN Tower and look out over the city. On a clear day, you may be able to see Rochester across Lake Ontario. You can also stand on the glass floor and look straight down.

What neighbourhood are they staying in?

As for travel, if they’re flying Porter to the island airport, they can take a quick cab to downtown. If they’re flying into Pearson, however, then they should take the UPX downtown from the airport. $12CAD/person, whereas a taxi will be about $60CAD for the flat rate, plus tip.

Let me think about other options.

Really good affordable Italian with casual vibe is Mangia & Beve on King East.

JD you mention Montgomery’s , is that the place in the East End? If it’s where I’m thinking of, +1 , as long as it’s not too far off the beaten track.

Hoping others will chime in with more good ethnic food suggestions , that’s probablh the city’s strong point.

Jay they are staying in Yonge and Eglington.

Thank you Jay and Richard.

The food at Mangia & Beve is good, but it’s more of a lunch place. It will be pretty quiet at dinner. If Corey’s stepdaughter and friends want more of a vibe, the other suggestions I made are more appropriate. If they’re looking for something Italian at dinner with more of a vibe, they’re better off at Terroni on Adelaide E in the old courthouse. It’s a big space with historical value. They also make all their pasta in house. If their carbonara or duck ragu are on the menu, those are always winning options. Terroni midtown (south of Summerhill) is another option, but is a smaller place.

Montgomery’s is on Queen W, just before Ossington. Another reason for that suggestion was that if they wanted to head out to some bars after the fact, there’s a ton of them literally around the corner. Having the chef simply cook for them is a great option. The focus is on ingredients, pickled things, snacks, etc. It doesn’t look like much from outside, especially since the dining room is in the back, but the food is nice.

Chantecler on Queen W is excellent also, but a little more up the price change. That said, the US dollar is very favourable against the Canadian dollar, so basically knock 35-40% off prices right now.

Corey - let me think of some things midtown. Off the top of my head, Tabule has a location on Yonge St, south of Eglinton (and north of Davisville) that has excellent Lebanese food. They also offer corkage for $15/bottle, if they’re interested. They can order a huge hot and cold mezze spread and then share a bunch of mains. I really like their food, and regularly visit their location nearer my place.

Thanks again to both of you. I received this text this morning:

“We went to 416 Snack Bar, it was amazing! Great food, drinks and environment. We also checked out the aquarium and it was just ok. Going to the market today.”

My pleasure. Glad your stepdaughter and her friends are enjoying their visit!