Top Five Wines of The Year So Far

This year has been out of control. Grailey’s in Dallas is much to blame. At one tasting I was lucky enough to have 1966 Latour, 1983 and 1986 Lafite, 1986 and 1996 Margaux, 1976 Petrus, 1990 Beasejour, 1997 Abreu Madrona Ranch, the Lalande, and the Harlan above. Then my Dad turned 60, so I popped a couple of my best bottles, the Dominus and Grange. Needless to say, I smile a lot.

I agree. That BV DLT was way, way better than I expected. I had that blind at a 2007 Cali Cab tasting of about 15 wines including Foley Claret, Continuum, Dominus, Insignia, Plumpjack, etc. etc. and that was rated top 3 by most people. Killer wine. WS got that dead wrong with only 91 pts.

holy crap, sir. you are a baller.

If you look around a bit and watch winesearcher, it’s likely you’ll find a half of the 01 suduiraut for $65 or so. It’s a splurge for most budgets, but not unreasonable and drinking so well…

False, but I have gotten lucky a few times!

1982 Figeac
2001 Yquem
1978 Haut Brion
1966 Mouton Rothschild
1982 Leoville Las Cases

honorable mention are 1979 Palmer, 1967 Latour, 1997 Chave Hermitage, 2002 Fevre Les Clos, 1986 Yquem, 2001 Domaine de Cheavlier Blanc, 1961 Cheavlier Rouge, 1989 PLL, 1996 PLL, 1985 PLL and 1998 Figeac.

1 - 1966 La Mission Haut Brion
2 - 1966 La Mission Haut Brion
3 - 1966 La Mission Haut Brion
4 - 1966 La Mission Haut Brion
5 - 1966 La Mission Haut Brion

Drank 1990 Rayas on New Years Eve so I believe that counts as last year.

Pat

A 90 Pichon Baron (95+) and below…

• 1989 Château Montrose - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe (6/14/2011)
    Masculine, dark, and deep. Killer nose of leather, cigar box, venison, black licorice, dark berries, ash and smoke.
    Attacks the palate with loads of darkness and earth, mint, blackberries, tobacco, smoke, a touch of brett. Very long
    finish . This was young and energetic and showed really well. Decanted for 3+ hours… Great bottle. (96 pts.)
  • 1982 Château Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Pauillac (6/11/2011)
    Beautiful aromas of cassis, rich tobacco, leather, black tea, venison, dried roses, and dark berries that just keep coming at you in waves. It’s Like you’re surfing in
    paradise and the next wave is better than the last with no ebb in sight. There is a sweet spiciness on the palate as well as loads of gobs of tobacco,
    dark cherries, cassis, leather, cedar, dried flowers. Perfect balance. Elegant, pure, and oh so long… With each taste you contemplate and discover
    something new and wait until it feels right to go in again… This is a show stopper… (98 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

• 2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (4/15/2011)
    Great nose of peaches,apricots,petrol,honeysuckle. The palate is right there with the nose
    but it is still quite young-nice backbone, honey and white fruits and fluttering minerality. Long finish.
    Killer (93 pts.)
  • 1993 Beaux Frères Pinot Noir Beaux Frères Vineyard - USA, Oregon, Yamhill County (1/3/2011)
    This wine is really dark. Beautiful nose that gives you that classic Oregon plum,cranberry,pomegranate,purple florals
    and some baking spices. Nice spiciness intitially that quickly fades. The fruit is so pure and fresh on this bottle with loads of plums,
    cherries,and cranberries. There is a hint of forest floor on this with some tobacco notes that make it really wonderful.
    We consumed this over 2 nights and it got better and better with air. Wow. (93 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Leroy 2008 Santenots du Milieu
Pascal Marchand 2008 Corton
DRC 2009 Corton

Surprised by my tally in CT:

2000 Bois de Boursan Cuvee Felix
2002 Raveneau Butteaux
1996 Giacosa Villero
1996 Aldo Conterno Cicala
1996 Scavino Cannubi

Lots of red burgs tied for 6th!

Cheers,
Doug

I also love how WS pegs the drinking window from 2011-2018.

In the words of Cartmen, “Seriously guys?!”.

08 drc montrachet
08 la tache
08 drc richebourg
02 dujac bonnes mares
01 leflaive batard montrachet

honorable mention
08 romanee conti
80 arnoux suchots
00 potel rsv
96 salon bdb
74 dry creek cab
67 borgogno ???
nv gavilan casa de sonoma

cheers,

That is some seriously killer juice. DRC RC couldn’t even crack the top 5? [worship.gif]

hence the avatar, i see. would love to try one someday.

Reds:

1981 López de Heredia Viña Bosconia Gran Reserva
1989 Palmer
1978 Pichon Lalande
1964 Faustino I Gran Reserva
1996 Vega Sicilia Único

Sherry:

Bodegas Emilio Lustau Palo Cortado Península Sherry

Rosé/Rosado:

1998 R. López de Heredia Viña Tondonia Gran Reserva Rosado
2000 R. López de Heredia Viña Tondonia Gran Reserva Rosado
2007 Tempier Bandol Rosé
2009 Tempier Bandol Rosé

2004 Sine Qua Non Syrah Ode to E (USA, California, Central Coast) 31/05/2011 Cellar_Fiend 97
The nose sings SQN upon popping. I have only had a handful of these wines and I can now identify SQN hallmarks within the nose and on the palate. This was decanted in the glass for one hour. Dark berries, flowers, pepper, spices, and smoke explode on the nose and literally fill the kitchen with goodness. The palate reveals trademark SQN pure dark fruits. Blackberries, raspberries, perfect oak, glycerol, exotic spices and an unexplainable umami that I instantly identify with SQN. I mean this is everything I want in a Syrah. The palate and finish have perfect balance with harmonious acidity. The length of the finish is at least 20 seconds. Yummylicious lip smacking WOW! How these wines continue to amaze me every time is a mystery in itself. Worth every penny and surely proves that some supreme being provided man with the means to make wine like this. I hope to one day finally make this list. (226 views)

2009 Scholium Project The Prince In His Caves Farina (USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Mountain) 29/05/2011 Cellar_Fiend 96
My lone bottle of this and my first Scholium Project wine. Pop and pour at cellar temperature. Upon pouring I did not know what to expect and it was a browning golden color with some murkiness. I believe this wine to be unfiltered. The nose smells delicious. Peaches, ripe tropical fruits, and lychee. The palate reveals the most delicious elixir I have encountered within the Sauvignon Blanc varietal. This wine seriously made me rethink the possibilities of SB. Amazing palate of peaches, extremely ripe pears, more tropical fruits with perfectly balanced acidity. The finish is extremely lengthy and mouth watering. I can honestly say this is the best Sauvignon Blanc I have ever had. I wish I had more bottles. I am extremely excited to try my other Scholium wines as this was an experience I will not forget. I will attempt to acquire more bottles of this and it is worth every penny I paid. Amazing white wine! (201 views)

2006 Pax Syrah Richards Family Vineyard (USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast) 21/04/2011 Cellar_Fiend 95
Easy 95 pts here. Decanted in the glass for an hour and consumed over three. The nose is an amazing array of delicious deep black fruits with lively poultry herb and soy sauce. The palate re-enforces the nose and is a mix of intense complex fruit, more spice, and cassis’. The finish ends with round tannin and lasts at least 12 seconds in length. Thank you Mr.Rico! I look forward to my two remaining bottles. No rush to pop here; not a crime if you do however. (214 views)

1994 Dominus Estate Napanook Vineyard (USA, California, Napa Valley) 15/01/2011 Cellar_Fiend 95
This was decanted in my glass for just over an hour. A nose of cigar box, tobacco, and delicious ripe dark fruits. On the palate the perfectly ripened black fruits (READ- not over ripe), prodigal proportioned acidity to balance the cedar and earth followed by more scrumptious fruit. Leather and spiciness are revealed with more time in the glass. The transition from start to finish is lengthy throughout all components (first taste, mid-palate, finish) this wine ends with perfectly integrated (but still present) round tannin. The finish sits in my mouth, begging for more wine, crying for at least 15 seconds. WOW! This is only the second time I have had this wine and each time it has blown me away. An excellent pairing with everything Chinese BBQ (Pork / Duck/ Sausage / Ribs), I will buy more despite the current auction value; it is worth every penny!!! (2304 views)

2001 Fattoria Petrolo Galatrona Toscana IGT (Italy, Tuscany, Toscana IGT) 06/02/2011 Cellar_Fiend 94
Audouzed for two hours and decanted in the glass for one. The nose smells of black fruit, dark berries, and un-explainable - Italian wine. There is some VA on the nose that does not carry on to the palate. The palate has delicious fruit and acidity. The descriptors on the nose carry over to the palate. I mean this wine is mouth watering, almost “chewy” without being too fruit forward and is not over-ripe. The balance of the wine is amazing and the finish ends with perfectly ripened cherries and round tannin which lingers on the palate for at least 10 seconds. I wish I had more bottles than I do. Opening now with a brief decant is not criminal. (454 views)

flirtysmile

that 08 montrachet is/was epic.

[cheers.gif]

2008 Jadot Beaune 1er “Clos des Ursules”
2007 Mugneret-Gibourg NSG 1er “Les Chaignots”
1989 Chateau Montelena Estate cab
2009 Foillard Morgon Cote du Py
2007 Arnot-Roberts Syrah “North Block” Hudson Vineyard

Honorable Mentions
2008 Fevre Chablis 1er “Fourchaume Vignoble de Vaulorent”
2001 Charvin Chateauneuf-du-Pape
2004 Maume Mazis-Chambertin
2004 Bertheau Chambolle-Musigny 1er

I’m always jealous of the 01 yquem drinkers when they show up on lists like this…

Nice to see Foillard make the cut, Steve.