Top 5 Chianti Classicos?

Hi guys,

Am a lurker here - this is my first post!
Couldn’t resist joining in as Chiantis are one of my favourite wines.

As others have somewhat covered or suggested, Chianti and its regulations have led to producers coming out with a range of Sangiovese-based wines, be it CC, CCR, IGT etc at different quality and price points.

Eg. Castello Brolio/Ricasoli’s flagship bottling, Castello di Brolio, is classified a CC, but is more expensive than many CCRs out there, including some of their own. Then there are producers like Isole e Olena, who have a CC and an IGT, but no CCR. My point is that different producers have their own preferred line-ups of wines.

Then there are the regions of Classico, Rufina, Senesi, Fiorentini and nearby, Morellino di Scansano, Carmignano etc. as well as stylistic differences due to vineyard location, addition of foreign varietals (Cab, Merlot, Syrah) vs traditional blending partners (Colorino, Malvasia Nera etc.).

My favourite Chianti Classicos, so far:

• Fontodi - Great value and solid age-worthy wine with everything you want in a Chianti - SOur cherries, bracing acidity and solid structure. Their Cabernet-blended CCR is also fantastic, albeit a bit un-Tuscan, but I’d prefer the CC for value.
  • Isole e Olena - A reliable and accessible option that is well-priced to boot. My only complaint is that I feel even the 5% of Syrah (some vintages) tends to show itself.
  • Castello di Volpaia - This is quite a different style of Chianti to the rest - very perfumed and elegant.
  • Castello di Ama - To me this is the Rolls-Royce of CCs - super dense fruit and structure, at a premium price. If I were to convert Bdx lovers to CCs I would let them try this. Again, needs time but still very satisfying when young.
  • Melini’s CCR ‘La Selvanella’ - A single vineyard CCR from a big producer, this has charm in spades. I had a 2003 recently that was pretty sublime. Back label says ‘can keep for more than 15 years’.

FWIW Castello Monsanto have three Chianti bottlings: A Chianti Classico, a Chianti Classico Riserva and a single vineyard Riserva, the famous Il Poggio. I’m not familiar with the US scene, but most places just bring in the Il Poggio.

In that way, they are similar to Felsina (CC, CCR, Rancia CCR).

CC’s must be aged 7 mths. A riserva must spend at least 27 months at the winery.

Technically, Monsanto’s CCR with 18 months aging in barrel, while CC only 12 months. I believe grapes, vineyard-sources and composition of varietals, are the same.

In the US the Monsanto CCR is widely available and the ‘il Poggio’ is usually hard to find and expensive.

Byron

I’m surprised that no one has mentioned Felsina.

Perhaps it was a joke that went over my head, but I fixed it for you anyway.

I’ve always gone by the “Three F’s” rule - Fondodi (hardly a bargain though), Felsina and Fonterutoli - and consider Felsina’s “Rancia” to be the single finest Chianti Classico made - especially with 10-12 years in the bottle -

But to me - the greatest bargain in Chianti is the - Fattoria Di Basciano Chianti Rufina -

Consistent every year, and usually can be found in the $10 range -

Chianti Classico Top 5

Felsina
Fontodi
Rocca di Montegrossi
Castello della Paneretta
Le Cinciole

While the first three have been mentioned in multiple replies, the last 2 have not been, and in my opinion are fantastic.

Perhaps? neener

Thomas,

maialina is also very good, very cheap.

Trader Joes has a pretty decent 2009 Torraccia di Presura CC Riserva for $8. Well balanced with lots of earth and leather.

I used to seek these out but after some bad experiences with Felisna and Monsanto I prefer the Calfornia version Caparone Sangiovese.
I did like Valdicava RDM which is somewhat related to CC but a bit higher in price and worth it.

jeffz,

Cinciole was in post #16 on page 1. I also really like Montevertine as others have suggested.

Byron

All of mine have been mentioned, so I’m just piling on.

Monsanto
Felsina
Fontodi
di Ama
San Felice

Had this once and thought it was worth revisiting, but haven’t yet.

I agree with many others on these:

Felsina
Isole e Olena
Castell’In Villa

Don’t understand why this one gets no love:

Casa Emma

Here’s a sleeper and one worth looking for:

Villa Rosa

Love Cellole, from San Fabiano Calcinaia. Big wine but balanced. Great agriturismo vineyard as well. I also favor Castellare, Collelungo, and Paneretta.

Only the second mention of this excellent, underappreciated producer in 58 posts…

While not a Chianti Classico, the already mentioned Selvapiana Bucheriale Chianti Rufina hangs with the best of them and the 2009 which Tanzer rated a 95 and the winemaker has stated is the best Bucheriale he has ever made has been released and you can find it for about $30.