Top 5 burgs you would store for the next 10 years

Most of the wines discussed here can be found in many back vintages under $150. It seems like the Grand Crus appreciate more in cost, though this is a very rough guess. The harder part is finding the wines.

But I’d recommend looking for these kinds of bottlings from vintages like 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2011 … even 2008-2011 for village level wines. They are out there, just takes patience and hunting with WSPro. K&L and Winebid have lots of small lots with rapid turnover as well and are great for experimentation.

And offlines (where are you based?) are great for comeraderie as well as sampling the cellars of your new friends :slight_smile:.

Under $250? Got to love Burgundy.

You can get some of the “lesser” 1er Crus from Chevillon from 2000-2002 for around $130. I would happily drink any of those.

Look for some CDB premier cru from 2000, anything from 2000 from an OK producer would be a good start or Lesser 1999s (santenay etc).
Try some mature Burgs. 2000 is in a good spot, 01 could use a little more time for my taste same with 02.

Hubert Lignier MSD 1er Cru for the win, some consider this as the best bottling in the entire Hubert Lignier first Crus lineup. Sometimes hard to to source and good vintages are pushing US$200 per bottle.

Sorry, I thought he was looking for something under $125.

The original request was for ageable wines $125 or under. Then he made a separate request for aged wines under $250.

I think Tawse (marchand) should be recognized. Great value.

If you want to look at specific vintages, 1999 and 2010 are great relatively recent vintages. 2005 likely is a great vintage also, but it is taking forever to come around even at the Bourgogne and regional wine level. My next tier of vintages after these three would be 2001 and 2016. 2009 and 2015 likely will be in this group as well, but are slightly riskier because they are so ripe. That being said, I have had truly memorable wines from 2003, so the ripeness in 2009 and 2015 most likely will not hamper much. I also like the styles of vintages like 2000, 2007, 2014 and 2017. 2002, 2012 and 2013 are also good vintages. Stay away from 1997 (except Jadot), 2004 and 2011 IMHO. While there are good wines from these vintages (not too many from 2004), your odds are not as good as with other vintages.

Dinesh,
Have you had the Chandon De Briailles? Thoughts? Vintage?

My experience with Barthod is that whenever I open a bottle it’s shut down as hard as a rock but whenever a friend opens a bottle it’s gorgeously, beautifully expressive.

YMMV of course.

[rofl.gif]

Just hand the bottle to your friend and let them open it. Problem solved.

No interest to pile on the joke, but I’ve never hit a shut down bottle of Barthod. At what age are you opening them?

I don’t recall offhand. I’ve been scared to open any for the last decade.

Opened a 00 Veroilles this weekend that was ready to go. The wines have such a light touch it’s hard for me to envision what a shut down bottle would be like.

Yeah, that’s a great call, and easy to find too.

Maybe I’ll open a Barthod for you the next time you’re in town. You can find out then.

I’ve had the same personal experience, except that I’ve not had friends open them for me [snort.gif]

I started laying away (mostly red) Burgundies when I moved away from Oregon to the East Coast. The wines were available and cheaper than they were in Oregon. Further, my Oregon go-tos were either not available or priced up due to shipping. The result has been an accumulation of wines with great provenance spanning vintages going back to 2000. I’m starting to enjoy these efforts, but much of the stash is still improving (to my tastes). So, this is all to say that I like your approach and would recommend it with the caveat that you might be needing a significant storage facility to really implement it.

On the recommendations - most of mine are listed. These include:
Chevillon - I have some Gouges too but prefer Chevillon slightly
Drouhin - I buy their Oregon wines too and have been buying village level wines when priced right to give me earlier drinking
D’Angerville - I love Volnay and Clos des Ducs used to be in your price range (no more, sadly)
Chandon des Briailles - Corton for the patient, Ile des Vergelesses and Les Vergelesses as value plays with maybe earlier gratification
Dujac - even the village wines are going to be fantastic with some cellar time (for my tastes) and these qualify. The high-dollar wines are a good splurge spend too

Some I didn’t notice:
Fougeray de Beauclair - about the best Bonnes Mares that isn’t priced in the stratosphere, but price has been creeping up. Marsannay good
Charles Audoin - Marsannay, ages well, drinks well young, large number of Cru…kind of the D’Angerville of Marsannay

I wish I had better access to Lecheneaut - the Chambolle 1er is really delicious. I basically go with what I can source without a lot of work that is on my list of go-tos. That means that I don’t have verticals of everything, but I do have a better variety of producers and crus. At some point, you might consider the dollar budget you are allocating to the exercise and split it between value and premium wines. I know that many folks prefer to have at least 4-6 of a given wine to watch it evolve and catch that perfect moment. I’m not in that camp and am ok with a single bottle of a special wine. I try to time opening those based upon Cellar Tracker notes. If you have a change of heart on those purchases, they are usually pretty easy to send out to auction, even in small lot sizes.

Cheers,
fred

1 Like