Top 15 Riesling GG must trys in no particular order

Good list.

Glad to see Zilliken on there. As much love as her fruity sweet pradikat wines get (justifiably, IMO), I feel like the dry or just off-dry wines are pretty underrated.

I do think the SF Felseneck GG is a really excellent wine, but I often taste a GG and wish I was drinking Nikolaihof, Prager, or Alzinger instead… sorry! pileon

I love this wine. Both in 2009 and 2010 as well.

Clearly you didn’t drink enough '88 Singerriedel on Monday night. neener

Clearly you did, as it was Tuesday!

I preferred the '95 Steinertal anyways! [snort.gif]

Well, a 2007 Felsenberg Trocken (non-GG) I drank a couple weeks ago was beautiful. Guess I need to into my GGs.

Lyle, why don’t you put together an offer on a case of these wines? Would be fun to try any and all. I have been enjoying the Germans for a decade plus but have not had any of these heavyweights. newhere

YES YES YES

Great selection by Lyle!

P.S. BTW Lyle, I would recommend to import the estate von Racknitz from the Nahe region. You will like it.

http://www.von-racknitz.com/

How nice to see somebody mentioning Crusius.

• 1 on the opinion that it’s a great list (personal preferences aside). I particularly like the inclusion of Andreas Laible’s Plauelrain, which seems sort of a “phantom wine” to me. I hardly ever see it on restaurant lists, I don’t see it very often in stores, it doesn’t get much press/blog attention. Yet, Laible is one of the producers who’s sold out first year in year out. Unless you’re fast, his Plauelrain is not easy to find and I’m not even speaking of older vintages. I love that wine.

I also like the inclusion of a larger number of Mosel GGs. Some people in Germany think that the concept of Große Gewächse on the Mosel is a big misunderstanding as the Mosel Große Gewächse have a slightly different style as compared to the GGs from other regions (a bit lighter, not as powerful in the case of Zilliken, Schaefer, Tyrell, Loosen or Schloss Lieser or with more residual sugar as in the case of Van Volxem and until recently Heymann-Löwenstein). But I feel like regardless of any concept or labeling, wines like the Rausch GG by Zilliken or the Eitelsbacher Karthäuershofberg GG are simply stunning dry Rieslings.

One wine I’m missing is the Halenberg GG by Emrich-Schönleber: in good vintages such as 2007 or 2009, it’s easily in my top 3. Also, I notice that there’s no wine from the Rheingau. Unfortunately, the choice of Rheingau GGs that are consisentely among the top is not that large. But I do think that Breuer’s Schlossberg (not a GG as Breuer is not a member of the VDP) is very high up there pretty much every year.

Steven - agreed on Schonleber. I’m a big fan of both the Halenberg and Fruhlingsplatzchen GGs, though they’ve become a bit harder to find lately. Though I still have a slight preference for his off-dry/sweet wines… a bottle of the 2002 Fruhlingsplatzchen “Rutsch” Auction Spatlese was mindblowing a few months ago. Absolutely electric.

Not that many Rheingau GGs, but I am really impressed with what Andreas Spreitzer is doing with his Hattenheimer Wisselbrunnen GG. I’ve really liked the last few vintages, and I thought the 2012 was an absolute must-buy, one of the top dry wines I’ve tasted so far from the vintage.

Leitz is making some fantastic dry wines from his various Rudesheimer Berg sites, and I’m a big fan of the Kaisersteinfels and Rottland (edit: Rottland, not Roseneck) dry wines each vintage as well.

Clemens Busch?

RT

G-max?

Obviously we could easily come up with a list of 30 wines that are must trys! What are the thoughts on where Koehler Ruprecht’s top R trocken wine fits in this category? I have never had it but it is in the same mold as a GG or entirely different?

We are talking about GG

G-Max and KR Auslese trocken R are not GGs.

Cheers,
Martin

P.S. Of course, “Halenberg” from Emrich-Schönleber should be on this list.

G-max may not technically be a GG but it is in all practical senses of what GGs are meant to be.

That seems crazy to me. Did you try multiple bottles? I think I still have one or two bottles, and I wasn’t planning on checking in for a few more years.

That’s reassuring.

I had one last year which was good but not as good as it was on release, then the bottle last week which was over the hill. I have one more bottle which I’m less than eager to open.