Tokaj: Seeking advice on wineries to visit

We are traveling to Hungary this April, and visiting the Tokaj wine region for 4 nights. I see a post on here from almost 9 years ago, but nothing more recent. Does anybody have any suggestions for “must visit” wineries in the region? We plan to have a private driver for 3 days, since Hungary has a zero tolerance policy for drinking and driving. Thanks!

1 Like

We had an amazing time many years ago tasting in Tokaji. We drive and stayed several nights at Gros Degenfeld Castle Hotel. Our favorite tastings were at Szepsy and with Vince Gergely at Uri Borok. Very different experiences but both very interesting and learned a lot. Other tastings at Oremus, Patricus, Royal Tokaji, etc were less intimate. Unfortunately our favorite restaurant is now closed, but you’ll have a great time!

Thanks Lori! We are staying near Gros Degenfeld Castle, at Andrassy Kuria, which is supposed to have an excellent restaurant. I will look into those wineries. Did you feel the Gros Degenfeld wine was worthy or a visit??

We may have had a glass at dinner but we didn’t try their winery.

Királyudvar is another well regarded producer in the region, I’ve been a buyer of Royal Tokaji for many years, it’s a must!