TNs: Wednesday in the city

Went with a few guys to a place on Perry called Braeburn. Simple place, and the food was well thought out and very good. The skate was fantastic, as well as the Ravioli dish (not on the menu yet, but will be soon). The portions were perfect, and the wine and company made for a great night. Here’s the line up.

1996 Vincent Dauvissat Chablis Vaillons- This was everything I love about Chablis. Crisp, lively, mineraly, lemony, apple, a hint of brioche. Thoroughly impressive. For those worried about oxidation, you should be buying more Chablis.

1998 Domaine de la Bongran Macon Clesse- Holy acacia and roses! I was expecting at least a little oxidation in this, but not even a hint. Creamy and full, with great freshness and subtlety. Baked apple pie with spicy notes and brioche were present, but not dominant. I hate to admit, but I think I gave the edge to this over the Dauvissat.

1991 Meo Camuzet Corton Rognets- Yup, that’s good Burgundy. Great dark berry and red cherry notes mixed with mushroom, underbrush and incredible spice. Drinking well now, but no rush. This started to show a little bit of acidity later in the night, but was still very good.

1993 Comtes Lafon Volnay Santenots- This didn’t have the biting acidity that I expect out of Volnay, and was rather sweet and voluptuous. My only complaint was that this was not overly complex, and didn’t really get any better as the night went on. Over all, solid wine though.

1989 Bosquet des Papes Chateauneuf du Pape- I had no idea what to expect out of this, so I was very excited after one whiff. Hugely complex nose of earth and fruit (love that mushroom and forest floor) that gave way to a richly textured and elegant wine. Might have been my wine of the night, simply on shock value.

2001 Arvay The Sweet Life- This is a neat little wine. Not overly sweet, almost like Furmint made in the Loire Valley. Elegant and fresh, this was very nice after a 7 course dinner.

Killer night, very good food, great wines, and fun company (Gary V actually met us for dinner!).

Ian,

Those are nice wines for a weeknight! Your note on the '93 Lafon Volnay caught my eye. I have not had an vintage older of this wine and have been curious about how they age. The younger versions of this wine strike me as somewhat rounder in style so I guess this was the case in '93. A wine I will look out for.

Great fun notes on great wines…

The Lafon Santenots is a wine that needs a lot of time from my experiences… The 2000 and 2001 are closed down hard but so much stuffing to come with cellar time…

Most of my experience with older Volnay is more classic guys like Lafarge and Montille, whose styles are pretty much a stark contrast to Comtes Lafon. I might agree that this is still a bit iron fisted, it would explain the simplicity of the wine.