TNs: Two white Burgundies from the north and the south

Two white Burgundies from opposite ends but they shared a surprising amount of similarities. The Moreau-Naudet was an absolute star, I haven’t had their 1ers before and glad this bottle showed well enough to make a friend seek out more Chablis, especially since this region was my epiphany white wine back in France as well.

• 2015 Moreau-Naudet & Fils Chablis 1er Cru Les Forêts - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (11/10/2021)
    Round and ripe with a broad texture, but still had the textbook steely citrus and lemon fruit of Chablis. The intensity and richness was well-balanced by the crispness on the finish. Fantastic value.
  • 2016 Jules Desjourneys Pouilly-Loché - France, Burgundy, Mâconnais, Pouilly-Loché (10/10/2021)
    I think this objectively is a good wine but it didn’t move me. Was probably picked a little too early with zesty, but slightly under-ripe green fruit. Believe this saw some new oak that gave it a plush texture. Despite some shrillness on the midpalate with the high acid, this finished a little soft.

Visited Moreau-Naudet in summer of 2016, about a month or two before Stéphane Moreau died. He was very generous with what he gave us to taste and his wines were uniformly fabulous. His passing was a huge loss.

2 Likes