TNs: two tuscans: 04 Col d'orcia Brunello&06 Collosorbo Rosso

• 2004 Col d’Orcia (Cinzano) Brunello di Montalcino - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (8/29/2009)
    nose: tight nose, even after a good 4 hours in the decanter+glass, but shows real good class and depth with good purity on the nose with tones of red cherries, red florals, herbs, spice tones, and some bits of thyme and violets with a touch of perfumes that start to emit from the glass. Lovely and elegant with the depth that one would expect from a brunello

taste: sexy medium feel with tones of red cherries, herbs, violets, thyme, bits of red fruits and a bit of potpurri on the back end. Lovely and more on the feminine side with silky tannins, but high acidity at this point demands this wine with food, or an extreme decant. The tannins and acidity hold the mid-palate down right now, but with time that should be worked out

overall: a more feminine brunello right now, and possibly in the future. Seems to have some real promise and has a real pretty sensibility to it at this extremely young point. Far from a Knockout Brunello, but IMO one to add to one’s cellar as it just has some serious love to it. This is just hitting me right as it ecompasses what I love from brunello as it has the great tuscan tones along with the fruit that one associates with Brunello. Tons of promise on this wine and with time could really work itself out as there are some real pretty nuances to this wine as it has taken a good 7 hours to fully blossom right now (91 pts.)

• 2006 Giovanna Ciacci Rosso di Montalcino Tenuta di Collosorbo - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Rosso di Montalcino (8/29/2009)
    nose: nice plush nose that is just pure sangiovese with lovely tones of herbs, red cherries, bits of plums, and red florals. Very nice depth for a rosso, and there is a nice purity and balance to the nose too

taste: lovely medium feel with medium acidity along with well balanced tones and elegant tones of herbs, star anise, various spice tones, red cherries and hints of red florals. Very easy on the palate with nice depth, and excellent depth for a rosso

overall: a perfect wine for a meat based pasta dish. This went perfectly with a tomato/basil sauce and meatballs with a variety of herbs and spices. An outstanding rosso, definitely one of the better rossos that I’ve had with excellent depth for a rosso. If this is a sign to come of the 06 brunellos, then I will back up the truck and go absolutely nuts as this is what a rosso should be. It lacks that extra bit of depth and layering that brunello brings, but what it does, it does great, and is a great buy to boot (90 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker