TNs: Stunners

My group met at a local Cantonese restaurant (Colette) for our first installment of the year. All of these wines were from my cellar and bought on release, except for the Coche-Bizouard. I purchased the Côte-Rôtie’s at their respective wineries during my 2002 visit.

2004 Taittinger Champagne Comtes de Champagne Blanc de Blancs Brut - France, Champagne (2/3/2024)
Not much to say here other than staggering good wine. Note quite in the tertiary stage yet so delicious. My favorite bottle of champagne. Drinking perfectly and exactly where you would expect it to be at this age.

1990 Coche-Bizouard Meursault 1er Cru Charmes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (2/1/2024)
Color looks great. Golden straw, slight green edge. This wine can’t be 34 yrs old. Very fresh. Lovely stone fruits and lemon curd. Butterscotch on the finish. Good acidity to keep it lively. Not the most complex wine but a delight.

1993 Robert Ampeau & Fils Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru (2/1/2024)
Pours dark golden. I got a sense of the beautiful fruit, but with 20 minutes, oxidized flavors prevailed.

2001 Joh. Jos. Prüm Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (2/1/2024)
Some wines are worth the patience it takes to show their potential. This wine exemplifies that concept. Composed and delicious. Gobs of yellow stone fruits, beautifully framed by perfectly integrated acidity. Some petrol and sweetness in the background. Oh how I wish I had loaded up on this wine. As good as it gets. My WOTN. AP 511-14-02

2001 Karthäuserhof Eitelsbacher Karthäuserhofberg Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (2/1/2024)
Mature and very good. Flavors of lemon chiffon, lychee, petrol with vibrant acidity. There’s less sweetness here than a previous bottle from a year ago. Day 2 this showing a bit more depth and balance. Very good yet does not have the breed and class the ‘01 JJ Prum WS Spat showed tonight.

1999 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (2/1/2024)
Starts off a tad reserved with leather, violets and black pepper. Once it opens everything is amped up. The palate is deep, bloody and showing gobs of complex flavors. So beautifully balanced and composed. There is an elegant density to the mature flavors. Fantastic!

1999 Michel & Stéphane Ogier Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (2/1/2024)
This wine needed no time to show itself, as if it was eagerly awaiting the pull of the cork. Very lifted aromas of olives, dried herbs, mature fruits, stewed cherries, wet saddle. This wine is wild and feral, not of the barnyard variety. There’s some viognier in the blend, adding a floral element. This wine is a perfect example of mature, classic CR. I could drink this all day. Stunning!

15 Likes

Thanks, Gregg. Too bad about the Ampeau–I’ve had some great examples of that wine. Cork quality with the Ampeaus has not been very good in my experience, so a lot of variability in what you get, particularly with the reds.

1 Like

I actually just had that exact JJ Prüm this weekend. Your tasting notes are spot on, and I agree that it is a stunner.

1 Like

Great lineup. Excellent notes. '01 Prum WS all day.

1 Like

Wow … fun and generous tasting, Gregg!

1 Like

I have too. Was definitely disappointed it was oxd.

Was my last Spatlese. Thankfully there are a few Auslese to look forward to.

1 Like

Very fine notes on very fine wines
And again was the cheapest wine the best. It happens luckily not so seldom

1 Like

Funny enough, it’s a toss up between the Prum and Cote Roties, which at the time were sub 30€ at the domaines.

I can imagine that Prūm WS Spätlese was less. Under 20€?
Great price for Jamet. It was way more in the shops back then

The '01 WS Auslese is out-of-this-world good! If you have more than two, and haven’t had one in – oh, let’s say – three years, rip a cork now. Unless you’re looking for “fully mature,” you will not be disappointed.

Oh that’s the plan, rest assured.

Btw, I should have mentioned, under both capsules there was a small amount of seepage with mold and crusted funk. Corks were fine. The Prum actually had a small amount of liquid. Both bottles showed perfectly. I’ve learned not to be alarmed.

1 Like

Just so you know, I live vicariously through you.

:clinking_glasses:

1 Like