TNs Sqn, yquem, marcassin, seven stones

Nola stag weekend. Had dinner at August and other than a grouchy waiter, the restaurant was great. Sqn, marcassin and yquem were had at August.
Also had a 2009 continuum at Dickey Brennan. The continuum was very good but very young. With steak it softened some and showed great fruit power.

• 2003 Château d’Yquem - France, Bordeaux, Sauternais, Sauternes (12/16/2012)
    There’s just nothing like Yquem, young or old. This showed similarly to the last time I had it. Great caramel, apricot, honey on the nose with a similar palate profile. This time I did not get any anise notions but I did have the impression of orange rind. Great lift and clean finish. Spectacular as usual.

• 2005 Sine Qua Non Syrah Atlantis Fe2O3~1a, b & c - USA, California (12/16/2012)
    Amazing nose as always. Smokey BBQ sauce and deep dark fruits. The palate is thick and mouth coating with smokey beef, bacon and a petroleum note. Long and impressive. I love this wine. I usually find black pepper in this and it wasn’t there this time.

• 2007 Marcassin Pinot Noir Marcassin Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (12/16/2012)
    Holy smokes what a nose. Baking spices, deeply ripened cherries, licorice. The palate is intensely fruited, tense and vervy. A sexy wine. It feels like you’re doing something wrong by drinking it, perhaps being in Nola put that thought in my mind :wink:. Interminable finish. Crazy good.

• 2007 Seven Stones Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley, St. Helena (12/12/2012)
    Huge nose of currants, smoke and beef. The palate is tight, gigantic and super structured. Probably five years too early to open this as it is chewy and tannic. Lots of interesting components but it even overpowered a ny strip. Damn.

• 2009 Loring Wine Company Pinot Noir Clos Pepe Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Rita Hills - Sta. Rita Hills (12/12/2012)
    Bg bright cherry nose with some green notes and citrus. The palate is big but loaded with juicy acid, almost tart at first. With some swirling and air the softer cherry fruits dominate with an interesting hint of raw beef. I really like this wine currently.

Posted from CellarTracker

Is it just me (don’t have much experience with Yquem), but does that label look weird? Isn’t it supposed to have Lur Saluces on it?

Sounds like I should open that Marcassin for Doomsday [cheers.gif]

Lur Saluces had already sold a controlling stake in Yquem by that point, so I think his name was no longer on the labels. That label does look a bit odd, but only because the bottle is damp and so the watermark is much more visible than it usually is.

So, it looks like around 2002 the label changed to say, “Sauternes” instead of “Lus Saluces.” Is that correct?

Ha ha. It is seriously good, and you wouldn’t want to miss it!

Peter, you should!
As for the label, that is the Cellar Tracker stock photo, not one I took.

I don’t know exactly when the switch was. I believe that 2001 Yquem also says Sauternes instead of Lur Saluces.