TNs: Some wines over the weekend, mainly Burgs

• 2012 Vincent Dauvissat (René & Vincent) Chablis - France, Burgundy, Chablis (11/3/2023)
    Wax top. My first non-faulty Dauvissat and very impressed, this was so fresh and energetic for a 11 year old village wine. Probably the first time I actually got seashells on the nose of a Chablis, together with some honeysuckle notes. The stony yellow fruit and the acidity were perfectly integrated - the acidity was really something that was present throughout. From my limited experience, Raveneau is more about the texture whereas Dauvissat is more about the piercing citrus fruit which I found to be very enjoyable here. A wine that you just wanted to drink endlessly. A good bottle should last for many more years. (93 pts.)
  • 2014 Sottimano Barbaresco Currá - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (10/3/2023)
    The acid dominated at the start but the tartness subsided as the dark cherry fruit became more expressive with air. A little simple compared to the Piedmont wines tasted on Wednesday at 67PM so this is likely to get lost in a line-up, but on its own I do enjoy such delicate, understated wines. (91 pts.)
  • 2018 Domaine Louis Michel Chablis 1er Cru Séchets - France, Burgundy, Chablis, Chablis 1er Cru (10/3/2023)
    Despite the ripe citrus fruit this was still quite recognisably Chablis with the steely minerality. The linearity didn’t quite come together with the full bodied, large-scaled fruit for me here. Approachable and not closed at all though, as with most 2018s. (89 pts.)
  • 2020 Domaine Bruno Clair Marsannay Rosé - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Marsannay Rosé (7/3/2023)
    Very much a serious rose. Good balance between fresh, fruity cranberry and strawberry notes and a more serious, savoury element. Excellent with food. (91 pts.)

• 2007 Forey Père et Fils Nuits St. Georges - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges (12/3/2023)
    Soaked cork so I was fearing the worst but this was singing. Deep and high-toned nose, loved the aromatics on this. Palate was dark-fruited but showed the Burgundian elegance at the same time with spicy, earthy tones. Nicely balanced with everything in proportion, in a very good place now. (92 pts.)

4 Likes

How many tries did it take?