TNs: Some wines over the last week, inc. '90 Giacosa Red Label and '07 Magdelaine

Consolidated notes from wines over the past week.

• 1990 Bruno Giacosa Barbaresco Riserva Asili - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (22/7/2023)
    A generous pre-dinner share by Dibbs. Rather muted at first, but its class on the palate was evident on pop-and-pour. Loved the combination of power and elegance, I was particularly in awe of the silky and finessed tannins. Fruit became more expansive and defined with air, but still felt that it had so much more to give when I finished my glass. Probably a good idea to look out for Dibbs’ note on this wine later to see how it improved over the course of dinner. Incredibly beautiful, symphonic wine that I was lucky enough to have tasted, probably would have scored even higher if I had more time with the wine. (96 pts.)
  • 2007 Château Magdelaine - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru (22/7/2023)
    An exuberant, floral nose. Trademark Magdelaine characteristics of silky tannins, plus an elegant, weightless sensation on the palate. Quite resolved I guess because of the weaker vintage, but the fruit really shone here to make the wine feel so alive. Definitely a good time to open this vintage of Magdelaine now. (93 pts.)
  • 2021 Chatzivaritis Migma - Greece, Macedonia, Goumenissa (22/7/2023)
    Thought this was a cider at first but the kombucha notes took over. Still bubbling as though it was undergoing fermentation when poured. Strange wine. (76 pts.)
  • 2014 Mickaël Bourg Cornas Les P’tits Bouts - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (21/7/2023)
    Typical Cornas in character with blueberry and blood-iron notes. Just missing the fine-boned tannins of more recent vintages. (89 pts.)
  • 2010 Dry River Gewürztraminer - New Zealand, North Island, Wairarapa, Martinborough (21/7/2023)
    Rich and full-bodied. Had little to no acidity left that made it cloying. Bitter finish. Disappointed by this as I’ve had good experiences with their sweets. (85 pts.)
  • 2020 Castellare di Castellina Chianti Classico - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (21/7/2023)
    Rather too polished in style with excessive oak and artificial red fruit. (84 pts.)
  • 2017 David Moreau Santenay 1er Cru Beaurepaire Rouge - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Santenay 1er Cru (18/7/2023)
    At first this was dominated by tartness, but became more balanced and seamless as its silky cherry fruit emerged. Pleasant first experience with this producer. (90 pts.)
  • 2020 Catherine Marshall Chenin Blanc Fermented in Clay - South Africa, Cape South Coast, Elgin (18/7/2023)
    A little spritz on opening. Aromatic wine with plenty of orchard fruit. Very ripe and fruit-forward, less acidity compared to the 2019. (89 pts.)

3 Likes

Nice notes; I can’t remember if I have ever tasted 2007 Magdelaine, but they do have a habit of being fairly good in off vintages. Looks like I may have to try one of the two I have.

1 Like

Nice notes, and I’m glad that the '90 Giacosa opened up into something beautiful. Those bottles can be so inconsistent.

1 Like

Great notes as usual but especially a great laugh for me - my wife’s name is Catherine Marshall! I’m going to have to buy a bottle now!

1 Like