TNs: Some old Chidaine, some new Champagne and some old Copain syrahs

Yeah man. Let’s do that. Give me notice and let’s see what we can put together.

Thanks for the notes and the memories. I loved those old Copain Roussannes. I wish I had saved some of them, but I found them irresistable.

As discussed in another thread, I killed off the last of my '07 Hawks Butte about a month ago. I also thought the wine seemed youthful and fresh, like it could have lived another decade at least.

I probably have one or two of the '10 Brosseau and '11 Halcon, so I will make a mental note to comment here when I get to them. :cheers:

1 Like

What a treat to taste such a selection! My notes from that evening aren’t great, so take with a grain of salt.

2010 François Chidaine Montlouis-sur-Loire Les Choisilles
Non-blind. Dark gold color. This was - objectively - over the hill. I typically dislike ox’d wines, but I quite liked this (probably because it’s demi sec). Nutty nose, browning apple. Came across as lightly sherried and there’s some browning apple/yellow plum pie thing going on in the mid-palate. The finish was bitter, though. Seriously, I kept thinking that there was a food pairing that would work for this; something akin to duck a l’orange.

Flight 1: Whites
2010 François Chidaine Montlouis-sur-Loire Les Tuffeaux
Blind: thought this was Chenin.
I got some lemon curd and yellow apple on this, seemed demi-sec to me. Delicious.

2018 Marie Courtin Coteaux Champenois Le Blanc du Tremble
Blind: I thought this was a Chardonnay from France (LOL @ the specificity), but for some reason didn’t think it was Chablis.
Light color, but bold, rich and delicious. Every version of lemon, red apple and something kind of tropical that I couldn’t place. The finish is what made me think this wasn’t Chablis, more rich apple and again a somewhat tropical note I couldn’t place.

2006 Copain Roussanne James Berry Vineyard
Blind: I thought this was Riesling, but it’s Roussane from Paso. Petrol on the nose. Lots of body, something a bit unctuous/oily about it. Really nice acidity, seemed a bit higher alcohol than the last two wines.

Flight 2: Sparklers
NV Pierre Gerbais Champagne La Loge
Blind: The nose was a big hint for me + Frank said it came from 80 year old vines, so it seemed like Pierre Gerbais to me.

The nose has soft white flowers, and I tend to associate that with Gerbais’ Pinot Blanc’s. This was delicious; fresh yellow apple, white nectarine, and soft citrus on the finish. So good, and more complex than the L’Originale I had a few months ago.

NV Laherte Frères Champagne Les 7 Extra Brut
Blind: I had this about 3 weeks ago, and by some miracle, eventually recognized this even though my notes have differences.
This time, I detected something like plantain on the nose, but on the palate there was a ginger-ish note and something like those honey pollen crystals that made me think it was probably Laherte-Freres les 7. Nice complexity, nice citrus throughout.

Flight 3: Syrah Glory
Blind, I thought these three wines were from the same winemaker, but that’s about it. I had no idea as to where they were from, except planet Earth. As to how old they were, I also had no clue besides “21st century.” :rofl:

2010 Copain Syrah Brosseau Vineyard
Blind: I had no guess as to what this was.
Juicy but not cloying blackberry/raspberry compote, blueberry, a bit of coffee. Still has structure. My favorite of the reds.

2011 Copain Syrah Halcon Vineyard
Blind: I had no guess as to the grape composition.
The fruit has faded on this and it comes across as, for lack of better word, stemmy and a bit thin in flavor. I also wrote down “pepper”, but have no recollection as to what that means (actual peppercorn or green/red/yellow peppers?? no idea), and whether it was on the nose or the palate. Typically, lighter, more angular reds are up my lane, but this one didn’t seem complete.

2007 Copain Syrah Hawks Butte Vineyard
Blind: I thought this might be Syrah initially, but the sheer amount of ??? in my notes indicate it was a total guess.
My notes are lackluster. All I wrote is “black olive” and “saline.” Oops. I really liked the 2010 and kept revisiting it, and as a result, dropped the ball on the 2007.

Do not mess with Astrid with whites or sparklers. Calling the Champenois and Gerbais blind was amazing.

I looked at @ToddFrench and said “what the hell is going on down there?”

Don’t worry, we’ll get her on the reds!!! LOL

Great night.