TNs: Some Echezeauxs

ECHEZEAUX - (6/9/2023)

Didn’t want to do any wine dinners in September in preparation for Japan and my birthday month in October but got tempted out for this theme.

• 2021 Domaine de Cassiopée Bourgogne-Aligoté En Gerlieus - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne-Aligoté
    I loved the 2020 but this didn’t taste right. Ripe green apple fruit but with a distracting greenness. Will the naysayers of 2021 whites proven correct?
  • 2010 Louis Jadot Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru
    My contribution. Showed great restraint and fresh strawberry fruit, most guessed a younger, less solar vintage like 2013 or 2017. Reinforced my love for 2010, impeccable balance with pure, delicate, layered red fruit. Seamless texture for a normally more rugged maker. (94 pts.)
  • 2014 Domaine d’Eugénie Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru
    Not blind. Modern but balanced, liked ‘clinical’ as a descriptor that a previous taster used. Not my preferred style because of the density of blue fruit but still enjoyed this. Just missing some focus and soul. (92 pts.)
  • 2017 Domaine d’Eugénie Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru
    Not blind. Liked this much less than the 2014. Nose was dominated by reduction and protruding oak. On the palate it reminded me of a masculine northern Rhône with dark violet fruit. Needs more time for the sheen of oak to integrate. (88 pts.)
  • 2017 Georges Noellat Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru
    Not blind. Generous extra brought by someone but unfortunately this didn’t show well. Jammy and VA-dominated nose, sweet and one-dimensional candied fruit on the palate. Post-modern Burgundy taken to the extreme, felt like a Bojo with a lot of unresolved stuffing. (88 pts.)
  • 2012 Domaine Jean Tardy et Fils Echezeaux Les Treux Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru
    Guessed a 2012/13 from a maker with stem inclusion. Lifted, serious nose with sappy cherry fruit on the palate. On the polished side but liked the quintessential Vosne spiciness. (93 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine Jean Grivot Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru
    Was between 2015 and 2017 for the vintage because of the trace of alcohol and warm fruit, but also had a very appealing, light-footed elegance. Eventually guessed 2015 from a more feminine maker like J-M Millot. Attractive red fruit with a good backbone, most serious wine of the night. Unfortunately became a little too candied and ripe with air. (92 pts.)
5 Likes

What does this mean? I have see ‘serious’ used elsewhere by others, and never really understood it. Thank you for all the TN!

1 Like

Cheers Shan, for me serious represents the amount of stuffing a wine has but can see why it is ambiguous!

1 Like

In late october I will be joining a vertical ECHEZEAUX BOCQUENET where the 93,95 and 99 will be discussed and-more importantly- drunk and enjoyed. Will keep you lot posted !

2 Likes