TNs: Some Burgundies with a little age

Burgundy dinner with theme of S$150-$200 budget. My Gouges was a curious one unfortunately, said Vaucrains on the label but Clos des Porrets on the cork. Anyone can shed further light on what wine did we actually have? Great dinner in any case, most of the wines ended up having a little age on them.

BURGUNDY THEME - Asia Grand (10/9/2021)

• 2019 Clos des plantes Anjou Poïèsis - France, Loire Valley, Anjou-Saumur, Anjou
    Brought this as leftovers from the previous night. A more intriguing showing than the first time I had it, reductive nose to begin with but with time it showed ripe, exotic citrus and lychee fruits. More depth on the first day than second, these cult wines always push natty-ness and ripeness to extremes that I am not sure if I get.
  • 2007 Maison Valette Pouilly-Fuissé Le Clos de Monsieur Noly - France, Burgundy, Mâconnais, Pouilly-Fuissé
    One ticked off my bucket list. A late release wine after spending 12 years in barrel, one of the most singular wines that I’ve tried. Aromas of hazelnut and butter, and even though it was oxidative, it was not flat by any means. Still crisp and had a deep intensity that made me think it was a grand cru. Think I liked this more than others did.
  • 2017 Comtesse Bernard de Cherisey Meursault-Blagny 1er Cru La Genelotte - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault-Blagny 1er Cru
    Decided to open this based on previous CT notes and the producer’s reputation for showing well young. Unfortunately this was very muted until an hour in, but the balance was still not quite there for me, it lacked tension and verve at this stage. A little disjointed with a spritzy note, the village that I had a couple of months ago was much more open for business. Wish I held off on this.
  • 2006 Domaine Henri Gouges Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Vaucrains - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru
    Said Clos des Porrets on the cork and unfortunately the cork is supposed to be more accurate, I think someone said this felt more like a Porrets as well. Looking at previous notes it showed closer to the Vaucrains to me though so I am still rather confused. In any case, my first Gouges and it was still a good value (marginally less so if it was the Porrets).

Unmistakably Burgundian nose, very pretty floral and cherry aromas with some VA. On the palate it still had big burly tannins. Old Gouges style with dark fruits and extraction, and the tannins still need time to resolve. Remained fresh on the second day, fruit showed no signs of receding.

• 2008 Faiveley Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru La Combe d’Orveau - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru
    I think 2008 is the most recognisable vintage for me - the high acidity on the finish here made me guess 08 almost immediately. Most complete wine of the night, I think this was the transition period so it still had the lovely cool fruit aromatics of the old-school Faiveley, as well as some firm tannins that made me guess Pommard. Some people said that it is easy to mistake new Faiveley as new-world but no chance of that here. Great wine.
  • 2018 Domaine Felettig Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Carrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru
    I loved this on the first pour - brilliantly elegant and weightless that made me think Volnay 2017. We were shocked that this was a 2018, but over time the alcohol did become more prominent and sharper. Nonetheless, great aromatics and there is a certain structure, concentration and imposing tannins behind the ethereal nature of the wine that suggest it still has a long way to go yet.

Flight 2 proved much more difficult to guess…

• 2018 Domaine Francois et Antoine Jobard Meursault 1er Cru Les Poruzots - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru
    Sweet and creamy texture, very ripe and exotic fruits that wasn’t to my liking. Didn’t guess this because I knew the bottle but wouldn’t have gone for the big three based on this showing. I had a sample of the Jobard-Morey from the same vintage and was much more impressed.
  • 2006 Domaine Marquis d’Angerville Volnay 1er Cru Les Fremiets - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Volnay 1er Cru
    There were rot problems apparently with d’Angerville 06s but this bottle was clean. Everyone went to Gevrey on this one, I thought it was a grand cru actually but a weak producer. I guess Gevrey made sense when this was revealed as the plot is on the border with Pommard. Good depth but the fruit suggested it was from a cooler vintage, some drying tannins.
  • 2010 Mongeard-Mugneret Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru Les Orveaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Vosne-Romanée 1er Cru
    Perhaps not well-stored, rather advanced for its age with bricking on the rim and secondary notes when the 2010s I had previously were much fresher. Black fruit which was a little muddled, didn’t show much of Vosne to me but it also didn’t have the oak signature of the producer. I think others liked this much more than I did.
  • 2002 Vincent Bouzereau Corton-Clos des Fiètres - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Corton Grand Cru
    Big and burly old-school wine that was difficult to guess. Barnyard, funk and earth on the nose from a bygone era, very good acidity backbone but not as fiercely tannic as I expected from a Corton. Good acidity and backbone to the wine, a bit sour on the finish.

Hi Melvin,

I’m quite sure your Gouges would have been Clos des Porrets. The Burgundians label to order and it was probably a labelling mistake. It can and does happen.

Cheers
Jeremy

1 Like

Cheers Jeremy for the clarification, appreciate it! [cheers.gif]